Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Home: Decorations gets recognized as _401Contrib on Tax Schedule report

Chris29
Chris29 Member, Windows Beta ✭✭✭
I've checked and Home: Decorations is not associated with any tax items, but transactions using this category (and there are MANY) show under W2 > Salary or wages, self on the Tax Schedule report ONLY IF they have a Business Tag in the line item. Items in this category with no Tag do not show on this report.

Clearly this is wrong, and I have no way to fix it.

Also, in the Category list, it shows 77 items in this Category, but the transaction report for this category shows no records, which is actually correct. The fact it shows 77 transactions in the Category List is the actual error.

Finally, on the Tax Schedule report, if you (double) click on one of these erroneous transactions to go to the transaction in the register, it selects the next/previous non-erroneous transaction on the report; shown highlighted in my screenshot.

Any chance this can get fixed quickly? I'm trying to do my taxes.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What leads you to believe that Home:Decorations transactions are being recognized as _401Contrib on the Tax Schedule report?

The report shows the _401Contrib transactions are in the special hidden built-in Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts account.
  • Chris29
    Well, the screenshots show most everything, but since there are no _401Contrib transactions in my register, there should be none in the report.

the fact that i cannot select any of the lines in the report designated as _401Contrib is another clue something is not right.

The fact that the transaction report for _401Contrib is blank is another clue.

Finally, the transactions showing as _401Contrib match transactions that are actually Home: Decorations.

Please look at screenshots. The first one shows the item in the report for $13.80 with the Tag of Carri Lite.

The next one show a search in Quicken for 13.80. you can see the line it highlighted is the only with with the tag Carri Lite and you can see the category of this (split) transaction is Home: Decorations
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Chris said:
    Well, the screenshots show most everything, but since there are no _401Contrib transactions in my register, there should be none in the report.

the fact that i cannot select any of the lines in the report designated as _401Contrib is another clue something is not right.

The fact that the transaction report for _401Contrib is blank is another clue.

Finally, the transactions showing as _401Contrib match transactions that are actually Home: Decorations.

Please look at screenshots. The first one shows the item in the report for $13.80 with the Tag of Carri Lite.

The next one show a search in Quicken for 13.80. you can see the line it highlighted is the only with with the tag Carri Lite and you can see the category of this (split) transaction is Home: Decorations
    The report shows the _401Contrib transactions in the special built-in Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts account because the account is included in the report.  If you do not want the transactions from this account to be included, open the report, press Alt + C, select the Accounts tab, uncheck Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts, and select OK.

If changing the Home:Decorations entry in the split produces a change in the report, then the split transaction is behaving as if it was a paycheck transaction with an employee 401(k) contribution.  If this split transaction wasn't originally a paycheck transaction, I suspect the data file is corrupt.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Chris29
    While I do appreciate your efforts to help, I think you are way off base.

This was never a paycheck transaction, nor anything close to one. it's a regular transaction, like thousands of others. The fact that this example is but one of several, which is similar in that they use Home: Decorations, AND have a Tag which is a business tag, but no other Home: Decorations transactions that do ot have a tag are affected the same way, tells me this is a systemic bug, and not a broken transaction.

I believe I've explained this well in the original post, and the screenshots show the issue quite well.

i hope someone from Quicken can/will read this and take action. validation and super validation have not affect on this issue.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris said:
    While I do appreciate your efforts to help, I think you are way off base.

This was never a paycheck transaction, nor anything close to one. it's a regular transaction, like thousands of others. The fact that this example is but one of several, which is similar in that they use Home: Decorations, AND have a Tag which is a business tag, but no other Home: Decorations transactions that do ot have a tag are affected the same way, tells me this is a systemic bug, and not a broken transaction.

I believe I've explained this well in the original post, and the screenshots show the issue quite well.

i hope someone from Quicken can/will read this and take action. validation and super validation have not affect on this issue.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871754/fyi-quicken-support-hours-of-operation

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
This discussion has been closed.