Home Before you Buy

multi computer installation

BillBill Member ✭✭
Currently, I have the database on my NAS so my wife can also work with QW2017. Q recommends NOT to do that. How would I sync the database any other way with QW2020?

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You physically copy from the NAS to the local and then back when done.
    Working with it on the NAS can cause file corruption due to the excessive reading and writing the Q does to the file.
    You just have to be vigilant about making sure that you copy it back when done and both of you not working on copies of the file at the same time if you are making changes. 
    30 years ago a co-worker and I did this by using a diskette to signify who had a dBase data file.  If you didn't have the diskette, you weren't allowed to make changes.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bill ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You haven't given any details on Quicken installation on each computer? What Version, what Release and what Edition.

The Database must be located on each computer, but backed up to a folder on your Mapped Hard Drive, called Quicken Backup. And you would only do Manual Backups with Add Date function, checked.

With Quicken Subscription product, you must use the same Quicken User ID and password with each Data File.

Then simply do a Manual  Backup to Quicken Backup before closing Quicken.
  • BillBill Member ✭✭
    Currently QW2017 Deluxe ver R20.2 build 26.1.20.2
    Been working from NAS for years now, with previous years and H&B builds.
    I have had a couple data file issues easily cleaned up, but no more than b4 I moved the file to NAS. Obviously, we can't work it at the same time since the file is locked. Moving the file back and forth would allow both to work on it which would not be good, so, I prefer to keep it this way.
    Just wanted to know if there was something different about 2020 that was more problematic with this arrangement.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Nothing in this regard has changed, it has always been the policy that Quicken's data file shouldn't be read/written from a network location.

Quicken wasn't designed to "recover" from any read/write errors.  It assume an error free file system.  What's more the moment you say "network" you have crossed into the "unknown world".  The "network" can be any number of different kinds of protocols running over many different kinds of hardware, setup from the pure novice that has no idea how to setup a network, to the professional network administrator.

If Quicken Inc was to say they support working on a network they would have to pretty much totally rewrite Quicken for it to be fault tolerant for the worse case where you have someone running it on a totally unreliable network.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • BillBill Member ✭✭
    got it, thanks. So based on my past performance, I should have no more trouble than I have had.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bill ,

If the NAS is not in a Raid Configuration, I don't see a problem.

But, just remember that your overall operation, will be slower than if the Data File was on your computer locally.

Also, since your Data File is located on the NAS, you should not be doing Manual Backups to the same NAS Hard Drive. If the NAS Hard Drive should developed a problem, you lost everything.

My newest Hard Drive, just lost all formatting in my NAS Unit. So I know that it can happen.

• BillBill Member ✭✭
    I had that happen when I tried changing out a NAS drive. Fortunately, I managed to reformat it to NTFS. I am not using Raid and when I do manual backups it writes to my local drive. I also backup to an off-line drive. Normally, the speed isn't much of an issue except for startup since it has to wake up the NAS.
  • cdd5775cdd5775 Member
    Bill, Been using this config for a decade. NAS in a mirror config. I use 7200 rpm drives. All data on NAS including backups. Easily accessible from all computers in the house. I don't keep important data on my local hard drive, eventually you will lose it. For added safety, auto backup select directories to a USB HD connected to the NAS.
  • BillBill Member ✭✭
    edited May 12
    thanks cdd. I just wanted to make sure they didn't change something in 2020 that created some other kind of problem. I have had mine that way maybe as long as you have. It works for me. I also periodically copy to a Thumb drive and take it off site. I have 2 HDDs in my computer that are mostly offline except when I am backing up to them. I also have only Windows stuff on a 256GB SSD with all my stuff on another HDD. That way I image the SSD with ReflectFree and if I have a system problem I just reimage it. My data stays intact on the other drive. I just used 2 partitions b4 I installed the SSD. Then I use Syncback to update my backups on the NAS and offline drives.
    I think I am covered for everything [removed].