Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Check Pay Biller list?

I am trying to set up Check Pay by editing a reminder I have used for years for checks mailed by Quicken Bill Pay. When I check the Check Pay box at the bottom of the reminder I can transfer the payment info from my Online Billers list and apparently Save the information to Bill Manager. However, when I click Done to close the edited reminder, I get a message box indicating I have used a payee name that is already set up for Check Pay and the check box will be removed. When I check the reminder again, it is not authorized for Check Pay.

This manual payee is not shown anywhere in the Bills & Income tab unless I display all payees and then it only shows the reminder that isn't authorized for Check Pay. Is there a list of Check Pay payees that can be edited to remove the payee so I can complete the reminder modification. The reminder has split categories that are removed if I try to use Check Pay from the payment account register so I would like to enter (send) the Check Pay request using the reminder (hoping that will preserve the splits).
Quicken user since 1995
Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021

Best Answer

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer
    > @Quicken Hugh said:
    > "Is there a way to delete an existing Check Pay biller?"
    > Yes.
    >
    > First, within Quicken, start on the Bills & Income tab, set the secondary tab to Bills, and the tertiary tab to Check Pay payees. 

OK, I finally figured this out on my own. However, the answer was in Hugh's screen shot. To find the Check Pay payees list, you have to have the first drop down menu set to Biller Name (I had mine set to Due Date). Once I tumbled to that, I was able to find the Check Pay list and manage my payees.

There are so many variations in how the Bills & Income tab can be displayed that it's hard to re-create an issue being questioned without a screen shot or a complete list of the screen parameters that have been set. Just another reason why Bill Manager is creating so much confusion for users.
    Quicken user since 1995

Answers

• I am having similar problems with long time billers. Has Quicken made changes to the system & not told anyone about it??
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello jrfaris,
    Sorry to hear of the confusion. Let's see if we can help you get things cleared up and move forward.

From reading your post, I understand that you are moving from the old Quicken Bill Pay to the new Quicken Bill Manager. Please bear in mind, the goal of paying your bills on time and correctly remains the same, but the new pathway to do so is distinctly different.

"I am trying to set up Check Pay by editing a reminder..." To better achieve your goal, please see this article for instructions on how to set up the Check Pay payee, and this article on how to actually make a payment using Check Pay. Editing a Bill Reminder will not produce the results you are looking for as far as actually paying a payee via Check Pay is concerned.

As always, if need be, post additional details to this thread, and we'll try to more fully answer your questions.
    If need be, you are always welcome to contact support directly so that we might assist you one-on-one.

@thomashenderson - The announcement that the old Quicken Bill Pay discontinues/ introducing the new Quicken Bill Manager has been publicly posted for some time. I'm sorry you may have missed the announcements, but we have been trying to be very up-front about these changes. Hopefully now  that you have more information, you can/will transition over to the new system more smoothly.

Thank you for your understanding,
    Quicken Hugh

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply but I guess I didn't actually complete my question. Is there a way to delete an existing Check Pay biller? (ie a management list for Check Pay billers).
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    "Is there a way to delete an existing Check Pay biller?"
    Yes.

First, within Quicken, start on the Bills & Income tab, set the secondary tab to Bills, and the tertiary tab to Check Pay payees
    Next, select the row in which contains the Check Pay payee you would like to delete, then on the far right hand side under the ACTION column, click on the little down caret (at the point of the yellow arrow in my example below).

In the drop-down menu, select "Delete this payee". In the pop-up box, click "Yes" to confirm you would like to delete that specific Check Pay payee ("A Test" in this example)

Does that answer your question more fully?

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for trying but I don't have a tertiary tab option for Check Pay Payees.
    My options are All Bills, Online Bills, Billpay Bills, Manual Bills or Billpay Favorites. I tried All Bills and those listed for Check Pay do not have a Delete this Payee option.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @jrfaris
    As Quicken Bill Pay has a hard sunset date which is fast approaching, I propose that the most beneficial pathway for you is to transition to the new Quicken Bill Manager, then adjust the Check Pay payees from within the Quicken software. If you would like help with this, you are welcome to contact support directly.

Alternatively, you could log into QuickenBillPay.com (Bill Payment Services provided by Metavante Payment Services, LLC) and delete the Check Pay payees from within that system.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks buy no thanks. Quicken Bill Pay works and Bill Manager is still a work in progress. I have tried using it but until there is a scheduling option, it is a non-starter for important bills. Unfortunately, the biller I am trying to set up with Check Pay is one I would pay immediately on receipt if I could use Check Pay.
    So I guess there is no management screen/list for Check Pay payees that is similar to those that exist for Online Payees and Quick Pay payees?

I will suggest that Quicken should consider going back to it's roots and re-establish a working relationship with Checkfree. They have a working bill payment system that doesn't primarily rely on using the biller's online payment systems to make a payment. I'm still hoping for significant payment processing improvements in the promised ugrade to Bill Manager.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Hugh said:
    > @jrfaris 
    > As Quicken Bill Pay has a hard sunset date which is fast approaching, I propose that the most beneficial pathway for you is to transition to the new Quicken Bill Manager, then adjust the Check Pay payees from within the Quicken software. If you would like help with this, you are welcome to contact support directly.
    >
    > Alternatively, you could log into QuickenBillPay.com (Bill Payment Services provided by Metavante Payment Services, LLC) and delete the Check Pay payees from within that system.

One more comment. You imply that Check Pay and Quicken Billpay cannot coexist. I know this is an interim solution but I have payees that function OK with both Bill Pay and Check Pay authorizations. The only issue I see is that Quicken does not provide a direct way to make a Check Pay payment from within a reminder. The Check Pay option is available from within the payment account register, why can't it be made available from with the reminder? (Even if it must result in an immediate payment date). ;)
    Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll try one more time. Quicken Help says there is an Edit Check Pay Payee capability but does not say how to access it. The method proposed by @Quicken Hugh does not work in my configuration because I do not have the Check Pay Payee tab available on my Bills tab. Does anyone know of another way to access the Edit Check Pay Payee screen referenced in Quicken Help?
    Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer
    > @Quicken Hugh said:
    > "Is there a way to delete an existing Check Pay biller?"
    > Yes.
    >
    > First, within Quicken, start on the Bills & Income tab, set the secondary tab to Bills, and the tertiary tab to Check Pay payees. 

OK, I finally figured this out on my own. However, the answer was in Hugh's screen shot. To find the Check Pay payees list, you have to have the first drop down menu set to Biller Name (I had mine set to Due Date). Once I tumbled to that, I was able to find the Check Pay list and manage my payees.

There are so many variations in how the Bills & Income tab can be displayed that it's hard to re-create an issue being questioned without a screen shot or a complete list of the screen parameters that have been set. Just another reason why Bill Manager is creating so much confusion for users.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    > @Quicken Hugh said:
    Editing a Bill Reminder will not produce the results you are looking for as far as actually paying a payee via Check Pay is concerned.
    >
    Thought I would post some additional information. The above statement IS NOT correct. After resolving my Check Pay payee conflict, I was able to add Check Pay capability to my existing reminder. I can now pay it with either Check Pay or Quicken Billpay. It appears that the reminder splits I have used for years are preserved when using Check Pay and all I need to do is edit the splits for changes in individual categories. I will say that this is not an online biller and I have not linked the reminder to BIll Manager but I do display "all bills" so my reminders are displayed along with their estimated amounts which are very useful in the Projected Balances graphs.
    Quicken user since 1995
This discussion has been closed.