Transfer reminder bug

I have a monthly transfer reminder set up, which is an auto payment of credit card from another bank's checking account. The payment transaction downloaded this morning. After I processed any transactions I had, I went to the Bills screen. On the right column, "Recent Payments", the payment shows. Yet the Transfer shows as overdue with yesterday's date in the main part of the page. Just to be sure, I closed Quicken and reopened it, still there. Why didn't this transfer get recognized?

Quicken Premier for Windows R26.21

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have multiple CC transfer reminders setup all work as expected. The key is to have the transfer reminder post one day prior to actual date. Then Quicken will find the transaction when downloaded.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK I'll try that, thanks @GeoffG
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG that didn't work. Yesterday after reading your post, I changed another upcoming transfer bill. It just so happens my Visa card was being paid yesterday, and I had a reminder for today. So I changed the due date to yesterday; the transaction downloaded today just now, it shows as paid on the right hand column, but the transfer still shows as due yesterday.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just reviewed my CC reminders and should clarify that the reminders for CC accounts that are not my checking bank are setup as bill reminders, not transfer reminders. The CC that is the same bank as my checking is a transfer reminder. Also I thought they posted one day prior, but are setup to post on the same day.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @GeoffG for the update. I changed mine to a Bill Reminder, I'll see if that works better. Maybe when just one side came in (the credit card payment, not the deduct from the checking account, which will be tomorrow), it doesn't remove the transfer from this month or something. Maybe Bill reminder does what I want! Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don Awalt said:
    @GeoffG that didn't work. Yesterday after reading your post, I changed another upcoming transfer bill. It just so happens my Visa card was being paid yesterday, and I had a reminder for today. So I changed the due date to yesterday; the transaction downloaded today just now, it shows as paid on the right hand column, but the transfer still shows as due yesterday.

This sounds like you have not accepted the reminder into the register.  Quicken doesn't match reminders.  It matches transactions in your register.

The fact that you said it is "due" implies that you are looking at a reminder, not a transaction in your register.  This can be confusing because you can show your reminders in the register.  This is not the same as them being entered into the register.

If you select the clock icon and turn off showing the reminders in the register you can get a feel for which ones are really entered into your register.

What's more it absolutely doesn't matter if the transaction was entered from a transfer reminder or a bill reminder, because like I said it isn't matching these reminders.  All that matters is that the transaction is in the register with the correct entries in the field for the amount and the category ([Other Account]).  Note that you could enter the transaction manually and get the same result.  A reminder is a "template" for what will be entered into your register.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW notice that in @GeoffG example he has his reminder to automatically enter into the register 0 days before the due date.  You either have do it that way or you have to enter them into the register manually by selecting the "due" status on the transaction.

Note that if you set it to automatic entry you can't change the date it will enter from the register.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. you can't change the "next instance" amount on an automatically entered reminder.
    Signature:
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't show any reminders in the register, ever, and I don't have reminders automatically entered into the register. All that shows in the register are actual transactions I either manually entered or are downloaded and accepted. In this two cases, the transaction downloaded from the bank, then I accepted it. Then I went to the Bills and reminder page, and it still showed on that page with the current date. Often times with others once a matching reminder/transfer was accepted it the entry in the Bills page only shows the reminder next month, if it is monthly. This time it did not.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but no where in your description do I see where you have entered the reminder into the register before the downloaded transaction came in.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Don Awalt said:
    > I went to the Bills screen. On the right column, "Recent Payments", the payment shows. Yet the Transfer shows as overdue with yesterday's date in the main part of the page. Just to be sure, I closed Quicken and reopened it, still there. Why didn't this transfer get recognized?

The Bills tab has caused confusion for many users. There are a variety of ways the main section of the page can be displayed. It might help if we know what type of bills you have it set up to display. If this a CC bill that is set up as an online bill in Quicken, you may be seeing the bill amount that was automatically downloaded by Quicken. If that is not the case, the following doesn't apply.

I have had many instances where a payment processed by using a reminder does not associate with the online bill itself. In those instances, I use the drop down menu for the bill to ignore this instance. As you point out, you can see it in the recent payment list so you know it's not overdue. There is a way to link Bill Reminders to online bills. I don't know if it can be done for transfers or how it might affect your situation. I don't use it because it removes the reminders ability to estimate upcoming bills. I hope the promised bill manager/payment update addresses some of the many Bills tab issues.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jrfaris Totally agree the "Recent Payments" section has always been "flaky" I wouldn't rely on it very much at all, and certainly wouldn't be looking at it to determine if Quicken matched an existing transaction to a downloaded one.  The only place I would look for that is in the register itself.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.