GPUCache Folder keeps appearing on Desktop After using Quicken

After the recent update from Quicken, I noticed "GPUCache" folder keeps appearing on my desktop. I have to delete it manually every time.
Any idea how to get rid of this folder permanently?

Answers

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Same here, just started to appear in the last week.  I dont think that Quicken is causing this. I might be wrong....

Are you running games or imaging software (like an Adobe product) that uses the GPU processor in your computer? 
  • Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    It is caused by Quicken at least based on my experience. I am not running any games or imaging software.

Under preferences I had enabled synching my portfolio in all my accounts with "investing.quicken.com" and set the mobile/web "synch" to on. That is when the folder started appearing. When I disabled both, the folder no longer appears on my desktop.

I just wanted to see Quicken web services. Don't plan on using them. Therefore disabling it does not impede my use of Quicken.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zunka72@Scooterlam do you use Adobe software (other than Reader) at all? Web search points the finger at that.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Rocket J Squirrel  I'm running Adobe Lightroom regularly using Adobe CC.  Googled for "gpu cache folder"... brings up an Adobe community post that shows a couple of fixes.  Yes, seems like in my case, things point to an Adobe product.  Let's see if it sticks.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I just found a GPUCache folder inside my Quicken data folder. The 5 binary files in it are dated earlier this morning. The only Adobe software I have on this machine besides Reader is an old version of Photoshop Elements, which has not been run today. So I guess I'm pointing the finger back at Quicken. Odd.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Zunka72
    Zunka72 Member ✭✭✭
    I don't have any Adobe software, except Reader, on my PC. I also found online majority of had this problem with Adobe software. I just like my desktop clean. So this is just a nuisance nothing else.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Quicken's random droppings land in my data folder instead of my desktop because I have my Quicken shortcut set up to start there. Do that and your desktop will remain clean.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was browsing my Documents folder and notice I have a Quicken folder in there which isn't too surprising since they tend to keep creating it even though I never keep my Quicken data file there (it is on OneDrive), but I looked in there and do see the GPUCache folder.

I didn't notice it before because it is neither on my Desktop or where my data file is stored.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    48 hour old virtual machine, no other software other than windows 10 patched to current, and tonight installed quicken and it autopatched, and I got a GPUcache folder on my desktop, so i dont think its adobe related.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Studpup said:
    48 hour old virtual machine, no other software other than windows 10 patched to current, and tonight installed quicken and it autopatched, and I got a GPUcache folder on my desktop, so i dont think its adobe related.

Where's your Quicken data file located? On the Windows Desktop C:\Users\username\Desktop or in the recommended location, C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken ?
    I think, that determines where Quicken-related additional folders go: \BACKUP, \QxxFiles, \Validate, and a few more.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    I think the "Start In" field of the Quicken shortcut determines the location of droppings like GPUCache & _SyncLog. BACKUP & VALIDATE are always under the data directory. I set my "Start In" to be the data directory and everything lives in one place.
  • Studpup
    My quicken file is Documents\Quicken (the default). Quicken setup puts a shortcut on the desktop, and that is how I launched Quicken, did some testing, quit the application and saw the GPUCACHE folder there. I'll set the Start In: to my quicken folder and see what happens. It's not a problem, just noticed it wasnt adobe related.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Are we all using Nvidia GPUs? I notice an option "Shader Cache" which is on by default. Its description reads "Reduce CPU usage by saving compiled shaders to a disk cache."
    Hard to imagine Quicken using any fancy graphics features, but I guess it only takes one rendering to create the cache.
  • Studpup
    The virtual machine only sees the Microsoft Hyper-V display adapter. The host has Intel HD 4400 graphics (integrated video on asus motherboard from 2014). Win10/64bit provided driver.
    Quick search on the host shows 9 other copies of GPUCACHE folders in various places, mostly chrome application and edge chromium folders and shadercache subfolders:
    C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
    The virtual machine hasn't seen either chrome or done any browsing, yet it generated one on the windows desktop when I ran quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are we all using Nvidia GPUs? I notice an option "Shader Cache" which is on by default. Its description reads "Reduce CPU usage by saving compiled shaders to a disk cache."
    Hard to imagine Quicken using any fancy graphics features, but I guess it only takes one rendering to create the cache.

Nope.  I'm using an AMD A10 and using its built-in graphics.

EDIT:
    I doubt that the Quicken developers would even be aware of what is doing this.  Most likely some call to a third party or Microsoft library.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Studpup
    Maybe the installer can create the shortcut on the desktop with the Start in: field pointing someplace out of sight/out of mind. %localappdata%\Quicken comes to mind *shrug*
  • Studpup
    I have the same problem with a random INET\COMMON folder popping up on C: drive. it should be under %programdata%\quicken but appears elsewhere. No files, just those folders.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Studpup said:
    I have the same problem with a random INET\COMMON folder popping up on C: drive. it should be under %programdata%\quicken but appears elsewhere. No files, just those folders.
    I just looked and indeed found one in my root C:\ directory dated 5/5/20.
    Worse yet, I found C:\DISK1 containing Quicken installation files dated 7/19/19. It's annoying that it's there, but satisfying to delete.
This discussion has been closed.