Home Before you Buy

Do you have to buy a subscription?

nfcsrgnfcsrg Member ✭✭
I always input my info manually and always have upgraded since the old Dos version, I currently have version 2017 and would like to upgrade to 2020 but do not want a subscription? Can I just buy the 2020 and use it like I have use all previous versions in the past
Thank You

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note, manually downloading  from your bank/card/brokerage will  ALSO fail, as that's another "online activity".
    When attempting to  import a downloaded file, the 1st thing that Q does is to verify that the file was produced by a "Participating Financial Institution" AND that you're running a currently supported product.  Q2017 will fail  that 2nd test and refuse to import the downloaded file.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Patricia TuckPatricia Tuck Member ✭✭
    What will happen when using 2020 & subscription runs out
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12
    @Patricia Tuck  Well, none of us can predict the future, and Q hasn't announced, but based upon prior events, I'd expect the following to happen:
    • You'll lose ALL ability to download from your banks/cards/brokerages/etc.
    • You'll lose ALL ability to  import a file that you manually downloaded
    • You'll no longer receive updates to the program
    • You'll no longer be eligible from free support from Q itself (although,you'll still have access to this forum)
    • About 1/4 of your Q screen will  be taken up by the "nag you to renew message"
    Those points are assuming that you're running Q  Deluxe or a higher level product.
    IF, you're running "Starter Edition", then your data file will become read-only ... no additional input allowed, even via the keyboard.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Patricia TuckPatricia Tuck Member ✭✭
    sorry... the community has answered this many times.
    Thank you
  • Ken117Ken117 Member ✭✭
    I didn't renew my 2020 version this year and along with the SUPER ANNOYING message bar that can't be removed, I have lost my reminders that used to appear at the bottom of my registers. You can choose to show reminders now, but they appear as entries in your register instead of a separate box at the bottom...very confusing to me. If there is another product out there, please let me know because I'm done with them.
This discussion has been closed.