Importing TurboTax 2019 file causes Quicken 2020 R26.21 to crash

Tried, shortened TurboTax file name (tax file is not password protected). File Import > TurboTax > MyTurboTax.tax2019 results in Quicken crashing and "Bugsplat" popup window.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's start with some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• EDacho
    EDacho Member ✭✭
    Followed your suggestions...reboot>Reinstall QW Mondo Patch>Copy>Validate>SuperValidate but still have issue with BUGSPLAT error message when File Ops>Import TurboTax>TurboTax2019 (see attachment)

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Wed May 13 19:22:12 2020]
    ---Tried deleting and adding this transaction but same result after Validation---
    Corrected 1 Bought or Shares Added transaction that was incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.
    If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them. Listed:

Date Type Account Security Amount
    ---------- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- ----------------------------------- ---------------
    1 10/17/2008 Bought Fidelity 401K FIDELITY CONTRAFUND(0022) -$106.84
    ---

[Wed May 13 19:22:23 2020]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Analyzing securities.

-Is the following item an issue>---
    Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 35/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    The crash while importing data most likely damaged your data file.
  • EDacho
    EDacho Member ✭✭
    I haven't tried importing TurboTax into the Tax Center TurboTax for a couple of years now so I don't know when the problem first occurred. I did restore an older version of Quicken (prior to importing TT file) but it too crashes when importing TT file as well. Any idea how I can escalate this to Quicken? I tried calling the helpdesk but they told me it was a problem with my AV (LOL). They then put me on a 1hr hold waiting for second level support...I hung up after then. So much for "premium" Help Desk support with Quicken H&B 2020 subscription.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can guess what Support would say next: create a fresh new Quicken data file and import the TurboTax file into that. Did it work? Yes? Then so sorry, your Quicken data file is corrupted and we can't fix it.
    You could try this just to see. If it crashes importing into a new file, perhaps the TT data is what's corrupted.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    A week or so ago, the file name 2019.tax2019 imported fine.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    My 2019 TT file imported fine, too. That's why I think @EDacho has corruption somewhere.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • EDacho
    EDacho Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > I can guess what Support would say next: create a fresh new Quicken data file and import the TurboTax file into that. Did it work? Yes? Then so sorry, your Quicken data file is corrupted and we can't fix it.You could try this just to see. If it crashes importing into a new file, perhaps the TT data is what's corrupted.

I agree with your speculation. I've been with Quicken since 1986 and don't want to abandon 34yr of history because developers are unable to transfer my transaction history to the latest QW version. I can live without Tax Center...just another thing like Online Bills and Bill Pay that is highly advertised but more trouble than it's worth.

Rambling thought....How is it that they carry corrupted files forward from version to version? I'd expect that a corrupted file wouldn't convert? Also when you COPY convert doesn't it copy transaction by transaction to a new file? How would that bring corruption to the new file?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    EDacho said:
    Rambling thought....How is it that they carry corrupted files forward from version to version? I'd expect that a corrupted file wouldn't convert? Also when you COPY convert doesn't it copy transaction by transaction to a new file? How would that bring corruption to the new file?
    There were times in the past when conversion did fail due to corruption. I got in the habit of always doing the Copy & Validate before updating to a new Quicken major version and advised others to do the same.
    Yes, we believe File > Copy copies data records and drops them into new tables. But I guess if the data itself is corrupted, Copy just copies the corruption as well. We users don't get to see the internals of how these things work.
This discussion has been closed.