Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Difference between Pay and Quick Pay

After exploring some alternatives that didn't pan out, I'm just going to have to embrace the new Quicken Bill Manager

I cannot figure out the difference between Pay and Quick Pay. In the attached screenshot, I have 2 credit cards which seem to be configured the same, but Discover shows Pay and Chase shows Quick Pay. If I click on the drop-down for Discover, Quick Pay is one of the options. And vice-versa for Chase. So they are both defaulting differently. But what is the difference?

Answers

• PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Generic User Anyone have any idea on this? Is it documented somewhere?
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello PeterK,

Have you been using the old Quicken Bill Pay, and then trying to convert over to the new Quicken Bill Manager? And/or, have you been using your bank's bill pay system? With just the brief description and screenshot included, my first thought is that the Discover card was set up on QBP or your bank's bill pay system. 
    It appears that the Chase card was set up on the new QMB (wherein you have Quick Pay enabled in the Action column as the default payment method), not in QBP nor your bank's bill pay system.

So we might better help you troubleshoot this, please provide some additional information; what edition/version/build of Quicken are you using? (Help > About Quicken) Alternatively, you are welcome to contact support directly if you would like one-on-one help with this.

Please post back with more information. Thank you.
  • PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'm using the latest subscription version 26.23

I used to use Bill Pay (and still do, to some extent) and I'm trying to convert over to Bill Manager. But as far as I know, both of these payees were set up on Bill Manager. They don't refer to the Quicken Bill Pay payee name.
    There is no edit option, so I can't even tell what options are choose or how to change them.

But what is even the difference. What does Pay vs Quick Pay do differently?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @PeterK

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the late response. So quick pay is the option that was brought in with the new BPM. There's an article here about bill manager with more information and how they work. As for the pay option I believe that might be from Quicken Bill pay instead. Do you still have it activated by chance? Is this also where you previously paid the bills as well? Could you by chance click on the pay option and see what screen it brings up? 

Once you get a chance to upload the screenshot just let us know!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Pay for me would probably be Quicken BIllPay because it gives me the option to change the date.  Neither Quick Pay nor Check Pay would give that option.  Also, I generally have Enter in the drop down list which brings up the traditional window to process a bill reminder.  I typically use the specific method option instead of Pay.

They really need more complete documentation for QBM.  I asked some time ago about "Covert to Payee" which is an option for some of my Bills.  I have not had any response from @Quicken.  I don't believe they know what it's supposed to do.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    If I click Pay, I get the attached screen. It's just going to enter the transaction in the register. It's not using either Bill Pay or Bill Manager. Even though I have this transaction linked to a biller.
    I Still have Bill Pay activated, since I am still in transition (and Bill Manager only allows a limited number of transactions per month).

Like @jrfaris , I also do not understand what Convert to Payee means exactly. More documentation is definitely needed
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    PeterK said:
    It's not using either Bill Pay or Bill Manager. Even though I have this transaction linked to a biller.
    I Still have Bill Pay activated, since I am still in transition (and Bill Manager only allows a limited number of transactions per month).
    Well, I just tried this and using Pay and the Pay Later button on the pop-up puts a transaction in the payment account register marked Send.  A corresponding instruction for "Quicken BillPay - New" also appears in the Online Center.  After Updating, the transaction changes to Sent and the status indicates Quicken BillPay was used.

Again, that is just how it is working for me.  QBP is still my primary payment method. I do have a few bills where Quick or Check Pay are the primary action but there is also a Pay option in the drop-down list.  Selecting that Pay, gives me the same window with the Pay Now and Pay Later buttons at the bottom.  Of course, there doesn't seem to be any specific guidance for the Pay button in Quicken help.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Hello everyone, 

I've been looking to find a lot of the QBM information to help with understanding the new system. I'll be linking those down below as there are quite a few of them.

When it comes to convert to payee option is to bring payees from Quicken bill pay to quicken bill manager. It brings over the information provided in QBP. This way you're not having to retype the information if. This is primarily used for check pay.

Here are the articles I mentioned prior as well.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-are-differences-between-quicken-bill-manager-and-quicken-bill-pay

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-move-quicken-bill-pay-quicken-bill-manager

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-many-payments-can-i-make-each-month

https://www.quicken.com/support/quick-pay-and-check-pay-frequently-asked-questions

Hopefully these clear up some of the confusion about the new system!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco
This discussion has been closed.