Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bills and Income Tab Quicken 2020

Hi folks. I wonder if you can tell me what happens in the following situation as I have recently updated from 2017 H&B to 2020 and I feel this tab is not working properly.

I have online billers linked to reminders. Perfect example just happened this morning.

As expected it shows I have a new bill from one of my credit cars and the proper amount. I selected to pay and I sent the payment from my checking account to be paid on the due date. It also credited the credit card account and marked the reminder as paid. All good, all as expected.

But, on the Bills and Income tab it moved that biller to the bottom saying awaiting next bill. Nowhere on that tab does it show I paid that bill. And the PDF statement attached to that Online Biller is April, not the May statement just paid. Even after a bill like this clears my checking and/or credits the credit card there is nothing in the Last Payment column.

I thought I would ask here before calling Support. How does this tab work for you?

Thanks.

Answers

• Quicken Julio
    Quicken Julio Moderator, Employee mod
    Hi @Bob.,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

Get a better understanding, what are you expecting to happen in the Bills and Income tab once the bill has been paid? What would take place in your previous 2017 version?

I want to point you in the right direction but just need a little more information to better assist you.

Responding with this additional information will give us better insight with the issue and the next steps to take. Look forward to hearing from you
    Best,
    JV
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bob.,

Thanks for taking the time to post to our Community.

• Thanks for the reply. I have another long thread here on the adventure of updating from 2017 to 2020.

Get a better understanding, what are you expecting to happen in the Bills and Income tab once the bill has been paid? What would take place in your previous 2017 version?

• In 2017, and I am surprised you might not be familiar with this, but it would instantly mark that online biller as paid and show the date paid. Not only does 2020 NOT do that, but the column labelled LAST PAYMENT, where you would expect to find this, is NEVER populated either when paying the bill or when the payment clears.  I was hoping for someone using Online Bills and Reminders in 2020 to tell me their experience and how this should. It neither feels right nor useful, Julio and I don't know if it is me or Quicken.
    I want to point you in the right direction but just need a little more information to better assist you.

Responding with this additional information will give us better insight with the issue and the next steps to take. Look forward to hearing from you
    Appreciate the reply, Julio. You can look at my long thread that lead to this beeing the last issues I have making this leap if you like, but not required. I can send screenshots of both 2017 and 2020 to a PM if you like. But if you read the above, I think it really describes the issue well. And would still like other users to tell me how this workks for them.

Thanks.

~Bob
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Julio - did I lose you? Would love to send you screen shots.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, this is what the errors in Bills and Income looked like before this morning:

BUT.... it got worse this morning.

I have known for three days there was a new bill from an online biller to be paid. I'd do One Step updates and Update All Billers and no changes. So today after those attempts I "Refreshed the Bill" and it picked it up with the MAY pdf statement as well. So it is not updating at least SOME bills with One Step Update or Update Bills. This is a problem. I cannot trust that bills are being updated and presented to be paid.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bump....

Hoping someone will come by and confirm they have indications of paid bills and the problem is me or that that Last Payment Column is always empty. And I am seeing that "sometimes" a new bill is not picked up until I choose "Refresh Bill". Bug? Common problem?
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    Some things are definitely f'd up with tracking online bills. I just moved from Quicken Premier 2017, where I used it to connect/download some bills from online billers (and it seemed to work pretty seamlessly...much better than Quicken 2020 subscription does this). I'm NOT using Quicken to pay my online bills...I'm using my bank or going directly to the billers website to make payments, but I'm using Quicken Online Bills to track how much my payment is and due dates. My main issue is with the "Projected Balances" being off because of this.

I am manually entering the payments in Quicken, so I do see the "LAST PAYMENT" column being populated with, for example, "Entered $xx.xx on May 19" at the bottom of the list of bills. I think I miss the old "stack"-style where it would show the previous payment as being paid (and, yes, I do have the box checked for "Include paid" in my Stack view).

I don't know if this helps you, but when manually entering payments, it does show the "LAST PAYMENT" column populated.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Have to agree with your observations and I do similar with paying through my bank. BUT, a manual entered bill for me does NOT show anything in the Last Payment column. Just did it yesterday. So what could be different between you and I and how we are setup?

So, I had a bill show as due today that I paid yesterday as well. Chose mark as paid and this is the first entry I have seen in the Last Payment column. Says Marked as Paid 5/20. A start I guess.

Kind of a shame we we forced to upgrade from something that worked well to something that doesn't, eh?

• tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    I have the online bill linked to the manual bill...do you have it setup that way?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, as I know, if an online bill is linked it is no longer manual. My manual bills are those where the amount cannot be picked up from the online biller. Like rent, for example.

The online bills that are linked when paid show nothing although they properly debit and credit accounts.

So you just got me to look around and the stack view (which I would never use) AND the Calendar View both show paid bill as paid, the date and amount. Just my "Billers Due Date" view which fails. But then again, that is the only view with a Last Payment Column.

• tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    When linked to an online bill, the manual bill reminder is still there. You can see it by using the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" button in the Bills & Income tab.

This is all very inconsistent. My "Stack view" doesn't show the 3 paid bills that I just paid 2 days ago (even though I have "include paid" checked); Quicken 2017 used to show the paid bills...this new Quicken just shows them as "UPCOMING" (with no due date), but doesn't show the paid ones.

The Calendar view seems to be the most consistent with actually showing the paid bills and the upcoming bills. It shows the upcoming bills based on the due date in the manual reminder (with "Awaiting next bill" beside the biller name).

I want ALL views to show both paid bills, and upcoming bill due dates if there is a manual reminder for the bill that is linked to the online bill. Right now it seems the Calendar view is the only view that does this.

The Projected Balances is another place where this is not working correctly...but that's another thread that I'm not getting much love on: (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875149/online-bill-causes-projected-balances-to-use-current-bill-amount-in-all-future-projections)
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    I posted a long reply, but it looks like it was lost? Anywho...

You can still see the original Manual bill reminder by using the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" button on the Bills & Income tab.

This is all very inconsistent. The Calendar view seems the most consistent in that it shows both paid and upcoming bills (upcoming online bill is based on the manual bill reminder due date).

My Stack View does NOT showed paid bills (even though I have "Include paid" checked), and it does NOT show the upcoming online bills that will be due again in the next 30 days (based on the manual bill reminder due date). See attached screenshot.

The way the online bills don't show up in Projected Balances is another thread that I have going, but I'm not getting much attention in that thread, either: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875149/online-bill-causes-projected-balances-to-use-current-bill-amount-in-all-future-projections
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there.

I think we have a communication issue on "manual bills". If a biller can get data from online and is linked to a reminder, they are no longer a manual bill. If they cannot get data online but are paid from the reminder, that is a manual bill. At least to my understanding. So I have both kinds.

It appears I have 2 issues left:

1. At least "some" of the online bills require a "refresh bill" to get the current bill when One Step Update or Update All should do it. A bug I belive and a surprise Quicken lets this go on.

2. Calendar and stack views correctly show amounts and dates paid bur when viewed by due date does not populate the Last Payment column with rare exception. For example, when I took an Online Bill that is paid by debiting my credit card and had been entered before the latest bill was populated in Bills and income and "I manually marked it as paid".

It seems that for me, once again 90% of the problems are with Bills and Reminders. This update is no exception though it has had some interesting other glitches as I worked through the update.

You say:

My Stack View does NOT showed paid bills (even though I have "Include paid" checked), and it does NOT show the upcoming online bills that will be due again in the next 30 days (based on the manual bill reminder due date). See attached screenshot.

My Stack View does both. So this differs from my experience. I am using Home and Business though would be surprised if that is the difference. My upcoming bills do show Awaiting as yours do in all views. But some of the manual bills show the expected amount due and the online bills do not. All of them say Awaiting Next Bill, however. Seems very inconsistent.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Julio

Was it something I said?

Would really be so helpful to tell us what gets into the Last Payment column and when and how as well as why Refresh Bill is required sometimes when One Step Update is not picking up a new bill? And what Is Refresh Bill for?

This tab is not intuitive and likely not working as designed. At least for some of us. And if we knew how it was supposed to work., we could have more informed conversations with Quicken Support.

Thanks.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, might as well talk to myself.

Still trying to work through one full month of all my online bills. Two have come in and I find that if I mark as pad OR ENTER they populate the Last Payment column. They do not if I use PAY.

Now this could be because I do NOT use Quicken to pay my bills, but Direct Connect to my bank. If that is the case, this is not mentioned anywhere. Quicken describes the difference between PAY and ENTER as Pay paying the bill immediately while ENTER places it in your registers to be paid on the next One Step Update. No mention of affecting Last Payment differently.

On other notes. Palo Alto Utilities claimed they could not interface with Quicken any longer are 12 or so years I have been using that feature. I complained loudly and they did fix it.

Paypal no longer connects to Quicken with OL-221-A errors and seem deaf to customer complaints.
  • tdub
    tdub Member ✭✭
    @Bob. FYI, PayPal automatic transaction downloads do work for me. In my account list it shows it as "Express Web Connect".
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I am also Express Web Connect. But it stopped several weeks ago. Resetting the account did not help.
This discussion has been closed.