Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Screen performance is very poor

This has been an issue for several releases. I am so tired of the poor screen performance. When doing simple things like just reconciling, the tool flashes, blinks, briefly opens other windows within the tool, and generally never really lets the user know when it is ready for the next instruction. It is very slow as well. I accept a transaction and it will take 30-60 seconds of flashes/blinks/spinning cursor/etc before it finishes. What IS it doing? And, yes, I have done all the file optimizations suggested. I'm not a noob; been using this tool for DECADES and it's not getting better. It is bloated and sluggish. I mean, we are adding and subtracting numbers here. It's not some huge computation going on. Why all the screen interaction with the user. It would be better to see some progress bar or just the spinning cursor rather that all the blinking/flashing/open and closing forms/etc. Please make it better!

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    bradmcc said:
    It is very slow as well. I accept a transaction and it will take 30-60 seconds of flashes/blinks/spinning cursor/etc before it finishes.

More out of curiosity than anything else, is this in an investment account or a non investment account?

It has been my observation that most people complaining about this kind of performance problem have it in an investment account.  I believe that Quicken's investment accounts are very inefficiently implemented in both how the "calculate" and how they use the GUI.  It seems like they recalculate at least most of what is in the register every time you make any entry.  What's more the GUI is this complicated "sub classed" control made up of lots of inefficient "sub controls".  It basically means that anyone that has a large amount of securities/lots/transactions in an investment account is going to get terrible performance.

As a side note they also mucked up the main screen with the fake border that doesn't draw right, and turns black when Quicken gets busy all to put in the global search in a place it doesn't belong.

Oh well I seriously doubt that we will see much of an improvement in this area.  Between the program being very old and hard to maintain, and the attitude that the developers seem to have about "modern GUI interfaces" I don't expect the performance to get any better.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • WindowFinanceWindowFinance Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same problem. Screen flashes a lot whenever I switch to Quicken from another Windows application, just to view Quicken. When the screen flashes, Quicken is non-responsive. Yes, I do have a lot of stock investment information in Quicken.

I subscribe to the latest Quicken running on the latest Windows 10.
    Refugee from Microsoft Money. Now resident of the latest Quicken Premier for Windows.
  • bradmccbradmcc Member ✭✭
    They should fix it!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?
    How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. You can also try to drag and drop or copy and paste the image. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

100 MB file size.
    No cloud back up of the data file.
    16 GB of RAM. 56% memory in use.
    Windows 10. Last feature update earlier this year.
    Thanks.
    Refugee from Microsoft Money. Now resident of the latest Quicken Premier for Windows.
  • Quicken HughQuicken Hugh Moderator, Employee mod
    Hello @bradmcc,
    Thank you for posting about your concern. There may be a number of different things which could impact Quickens' speed performance.

Please start with this article and go through each step.

Please provide additional details about your exact set up - What version of Windows are you using? Also, what version of Quicken are you using (Help > About Quicken - edition/version/build)?

Do you have many years worth of transactions in the data file, as @UKR was discussing, as sometimes the size of the data file might impact performance. Have you considered using a Year End Copy? Archiving a few decades worth of old, closed, no-longer-relevant transactions has been known to help.

Do you have old or hidden accounts that are still trying to download transactions from your Financial Institution? (Tools > Account list - be sure to check the little box in the lower left hand corner to show the hidden accounts) Do you have some old, closed or no-loner used/no-longer-relevant accounts that you might hide or delete altogether from the data file?

Do you use Quicken on the Web or on the app? Are you syncing your data file to the Quicken Cloud? If you are not using QWeb nor QApp, then turning off the 'sync to the cloud' function may help too. (Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync  - 'off'.)

If need be, then go through each step in this article for additional help.
    There are some cases where the most efficient and fastest way to recover performance is to go to a recent backup file and move forward from there.

Please post additional details, and progress updates. Also, you are always welcome to contact support directly for one-on-one help if need be. 

Thanks,
    Quicken Hugh
    Hi @Quicken Hugh

One big problem is that Quicken periodically freezes everything and displays a small dialog box saying that it is recalculating investment values. I assume it is updating the stock prices as well. Why does it freeze my screen? Why can't it update the stock prices in the background? Or do so while I am not actively doing something?

I do have many stock symbols in the security list (about 300), which accumulate over the years. Almost all of these have a check mark to download quotes. I don't want to go through this list and uncheck the symbols I don't want because I do have accounts at robo-investment firms such as Wealthfront that invest in many different companies and I don't remember which stock I still have in those accounts.

I am using Quicken 2020, version R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23. My Windows version is Version 10.0.19041.329.

I've moved the file to a SSD drive and validated the file. The above freezing still persists.

I know exactly what accounts I am downloading online statements for. I am not downloading statements for accounts I no longer use. I don't want to delete any closed accounts from the data file because they contain transactions that I want to search for later, sometimes 10 years later.

I have many years of investments and other transactions that I want to be able to search for. Therefore, I don't want to use a "year-end" copy.

My file is about 130MB.

I do not use Quicken for Web or app. I do not sync with those online services.

Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.