Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

The Category is not the real category of interest. Help please selecting propery catagory.

This is a question before asking my real question. My real catagory of interest was "Current Online Banking Issues" which shows on the category dropdown list. But, this category can not be selected. There are also some others that can't be selected. What's going on here? Please explain how to select a category that won't allow selection as a new discussion.
Thanks all.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    That category is only for Mods to post Current Online Banking Issues.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    SO, what's your real question?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • quickorama
    quickorama Member ✭✭
    One respondent said "... category only for Mods to post Current Online Banking Issues". What please are "Mods"?
    Also, my category of interest is indeed "Online Banking Issues". If I can't select this category how do I begin a discussion with a new category?
    After I understand this I'll post my real question about online banking.
    Thanks.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Mod = the Moderators of this forum.
  • quickorama
    quickorama Member ✭✭
    My real question follows and it is about online banking protocols. I've been using Quicken for over 10 years and my last non-subscription version was 2017 for Windows before moving to 2019 subscription (just installed a few days ago). For the last many years I've done online banking with multiple banks using QuickenBillpay. Please understand that I have never used a password vault and have never given Quicken any username or password to any of my bank accounts. This has not been necessary because (and many don't understand this) but Quicken has been acting as my Banking Institution. This, of course, was necessary because Quicken BillPay was working fine many years before most banks offered online banking on their own platform and it is still working fine until QuickenBillpay shuts down on AUG 31 (extended due to Covid-- was previously MAY 30).
    So, after AUG 31, for online banking with Quicken I will have to signup for Quicken's new Bill Manager service. I've been told by Quicken customer service agents (long ago) that when 2017 for Windows ends service (which it did a few weeks ago) I would have to re-register all of my bank accounts at three different banks. That, of course, is a big bummer but I'll have to live with that. But here is the big question. When I re-register my bank accounts for the Quicken subscription product will I be forced to use the banks online platform (ie give Quicken my User/PW for each bank for the password vault) or is it still possible, with Bill Manager, to have Quicken act as my single banking institution (as has been the case for many years now with QuickenBillpay).
    (BTW, my concern has nothing to do with security fears and giving up my bank passwords.) My real concern is related to quality of bill payment service. It is a tremendous simplification when Quicken acts as your bank institution... it is nearly foolproof in operation and never a (very common) complication when Quicken communication protocols with your bank experience faults (and I still see this happening/referred to on Quicken update explanations).
    Thanks.

p.s. I'm curious, in what of the available categories should the above question have been posted?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the best category for your query would be: Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

I suggest you consider switching to using one of the over 500 financial institutions that support online bill payment from within Quicken using the Direct Connect connection method.  The list of financial institutions providing online payment services from within Quicken 2020 is attached. 
  • quickorama
    quickorama Member ✭✭
    I understand that Direct Connect has a vast number of supported institutions.
    But here's my question.... suppose there is a banking institution that is not on the vast list. Can an account from that institution be enrolled on Quicken from which payments can be made or is it just not workable with the new Quicken subscription product? With Quicken 2017 and earlier it was entirely possible to enroll such bank accounts (but done less and less over the years as the banks provided their own online payments platform).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that Direct Connect has a vast number of supported institutions.
    But here's my question.... suppose there is a banking institution that is not on the vast list. Can an account from that institution be enrolled on Quicken from which payments can be made or is it just not workable with the new Quicken subscription product? With Quicken 2017 and earlier it was entirely possible to enroll such bank accounts (but done less and less over the years as the banks provided their own online payments platform).
    An account that does not support online bill payment using the Direct Connect connection method will no longer be to use Quicken Bill Pay to provide the online bill payment service after August 31, 2020.  You may be able have Quick Pay and/or Check Pay draw on the account but their payment services are not equivalent to Quicken Bill Pay although some users may find them adequate. 
  • quickorama
    quickorama Member ✭✭
    Thanks but please help me with some clarification....
    I know the Quicken is separating from QuickenBillpay (which is now closing on AUG 31, 2020). But I thought that QuickenBillpay is going out of business after AUG 31. By that I mean not only no longer available to Quicken users but not available to anyone (ie, going out of business). Is this correct?
  • quickorama
    quickorama Member ✭✭
    Also, I'm now understanding that with Quicken's new Bill Manager payment system it is a requirement that any enrolled bank accounts must have online access from the Bank's own platform (requiring a USER ID and PASSWORD for access which must be made available to Quicken for the password vault).
    Correct?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks but please help me with some clarification....
    I know the Quicken is separating from QuickenBillpay (which is now closing on AUG 31, 2020). But I thought that QuickenBillpay is going out of business after AUG 31. By that I mean not only no longer available to Quicken users but not available to anyone (ie, going out of business). Is this correct?
    My understanding is Metavante Payment Services, LLC will cease their Quicken Bill Pay service on August 31, 2020.

Also, I'm now understanding that with Quicken's new Bill Manager payment system it is a requirement that any enrolled bank accounts must have online access from the Bank's own platform (requiring a USER ID and PASSWORD for access which must be made available to Quicken for the password vault).
    Correct?
    My understanding is Quick Pay and Check Pay do not require the payment account have online access.
This discussion has been closed.