Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Linked Bills and Projected Balance

I have been looking through this discussion: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871992/linked-bills-and-projected-balances, but am still trying to understand the "logic" behind the implementation.

I have used Quicken for a number of years. In the past, the Projected Balances would be based on my estimate until the online bill updated. Now, my estimates show $0 for all linked bills rather than using my estimate. I would prefer to use my fixed estimates that I provide rather than the biller data overwriting my values. With every biller update, it changes my "fixed" estimates to $0. By resetting all of my values to $0, this can lead to poor budgeting, which is the opposite of what the Projected Balance is (supposed) to be used for.

While I truly appreciate the options to base on different values, why would I want to provide a fixed value, if you are just going to overwrite it?

Comments

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My work around for this was to un-link all my reminders from the on-line billers. I also set my bills tab to display All billers, sorted by Due Date. What this gives me is a list of my reminders with the estimates I set for each of them. If there is no bill downloaded for a biller, the on-line bill sits at the bottom of the list since it is $0 and has no date. When a bill comes in, it moves up in the list because it has a date due and appears in close proximity to my estimated reminder. I can then pay using the on-line bill and Ignore the corresponding reminder so it drops to next month. OR, I can edit the reminder to reflect the bill amount and use it to pay then Ignore the on-line bill causing it to $0 out and drop to the bottom of the list.

I'm sure this is not the way Quicken intended to system to work but for me it is manageable. I'm hopeful that when the Bill Manager scheduling is finally added that they will also provide a way to include an estimate for the upcoming bill. Otherwise, the balances tab is pretty much useless for most of the month.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well this is something that I and others complained about many years ago when they first came out with the "bill presentment"/online bills.

As in there are periods of time where the "online bill" is in a state where they don't know what the bill is.  I and others argued that when in that state they should be using the "estimate" however the user set it.  But that isn't the case, in fact there is a warning when you select anything in the estimate section when the reminder is connected to a online bill that they are going to ignore any estimate value given.

So what value are they using when they don't know what the bill is?
    Zero.

Depending on the "biller" some bills are almost always in the "Awaiting Next Bill" state and as such they use zero.  Others are better and at least maintain the last bill amount until they get a new one.

The idea of being able to have the reminder set to a varying amount bill is nice, but not when it works like this.

I have given up trying to use this feature and just gone back to using non online bill reminders where you have more control of the amount.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Cheetahpop
    Cheetahpop Member
    I've been looking through the discussion for help... I'm about to scream, throw my computer and never use Quicken again. HTH do I get it to put my credit card bills in the projected balances?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking through the discussion for help... I'm about to scream, throw my computer and never use Quicken again. HTH do I get it to put my credit card bills in the projected balances?

One way (maybe the only way) is to do like @jrfaris suggested and stop using online bills and just use a regular reminder.  That is what I'm doing.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.