Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Forum User Mix-up - Possible Security Issue?

Yesterday I made a post in the Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows) section. See the post entitled Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card.

This morning, a user commented on that post saying. "I never sent this error. That is definitely not my screen print." That user has the same member name as me (Bill). Is there a mix-up in the user database that potentially allows that user to access my accounts?

Best Answer

Answers

• Mountainbreeze
    Mountainbreeze Member ✭✭✭
    The plot thickens! When I try to edit my profile, I get the message "The name you entered is already in use by another member."
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    [removed - inaccurate]
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Bill said:
    Yesterday I made a post in the Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows) section. See the post entitled Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card.

This morning, a user commented on that post saying. "I never sent this error. That is definitely not my screen print." That user has the same member name as me (Bill). Is there a mix-up in the user database that potentially allows that user to access my accounts?
    Hello Bill

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience experienced.  I was able to locate your original post - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875906/pentagon-federal-credit-union-credit-card.

To explain what is happening, Quicken has moved between community forum providers a few different times.  Our previous provider, GetSatisfaction, allowed Users to use the same Username and didn't require they remain unique, which resulted in several Users all having the same Username when we switched to the newest provider, Vanilla.

Vanilla does require unique, not-in-use by anyone else Username but, when there are duplicate Usernames, the system sometimes isn't sure which User to flag and will send a notification to the wrong person, using the same Username.

From what I can see in the conversation thread, that is what happened in this specific situation and to prevent it from happening again, we just need to change your Username to a different one that is unique.

I would be happy to update your Username on your behalf, please just let me know which Username you would prefer.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Mountainbreeze
    Sarah, You can change my username to Mountainbreeze
  • Mountainbreeze
    All done. Thanks.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still look like Bill (the cat) to me.  :D
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • RiverView
    RiverView Member ✭✭✭
    I've got the same problem as Bill/Mountainbreeze. This explains why "my posts" look totally unfamiliar and the posts that I know I made don't show up in my list. So can I get a make-over too? Can you call me RiverView? Thanks!

I also suggest that the Community managers or Vanilla do a search of the database of usernames to identify and fix duplicates. I'm sure there aren't just two of us with this problem. Our emails used to serve as our unique IDs, while our user names were simply screennames (how we appeared to other users). Since you broke the unique ID reality in the move to Vanilla (treating something that wasn't unique as if it was unique), I suggest you update the user names so that they all _are_ unique. The simplest approach would be to just add numbers to the end of any duplicates. That will cost us the connections to our old posts, but that connection has already been lost in my case (and probably in most) so it's not adding to the confusion. If you do this proactively, you'll save a number of other users from the problem Bill had or from the need to spend time trying to figure out the mess when they come back online until they find this thread. Bonus points if you fix the user names on all old posts that were made by the old username/email; of course, doing so would require that the user's email (at the time of posting) was linked to the posts, which I'm guessing it wasn't.
    RiverView: US Quicken Premier Subscriber on Windows 10. Using Quicken on Windows since 2006.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Hello @RiverView,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding this issue, and we would be happy to change your Username for you. Doing so should resolve the mix-up that you're experiencing. 

Unfortunately, I am being redirected to a different "Mike" when selecting your Username from this post. Would you mind providing the domain/provider for the email address associated with your Community Profile (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc)?

Additionally, do you know when you first joined the Community, by chance? This will help us to narrow it down.
    :)

Your Username has been changed to “RiverView” as requested.

You may need to refresh the browser or sign out/into the Community for this change to take effect.

Please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns that we may assist with.

Thank you!

-Quicken Natalie

• RiverView
    RiverView Member ✭✭✭
    Natalie - thanks! Your crossed-out reply section makes me wonder what machinations behind the scenes you performed.
    RiverView: US Quicken Premier Subscriber on Windows 10. Using Quicken on Windows since 2006.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    RiverView said:
    Natalie - thanks! Your crossed-out reply section makes me wonder what machinations behind the scenes you performed.

WELL, let's just say that the SuperUsers have some extra powers ... and the Moderators are SuperHuman.  Or, as we used to say when I was in systems:
    "The SYSOPS are gods".
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.