Missing Data after restoring from backup file

System
System Member ✭✭✭✭
This discussion was created from comments split from: Create A Quick Link for "Ask a Question".

Comments

• Briangolberg
    Briangolberg Member
    I backed up my Quicken data on 14 May. I had to remove my data from my computer. Today I tried to load it back. It loaded everything through Dec 31 2018, losing all my 2019 data. Any suggestions on how to recover?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    @Briangolberg  It sounds like you restored an old data file instead of your most recent one. But to delve into that, and how to possibly remedy it, we'll need more information: are you on Mac or Windows? What version of Quicken?

[Edited after post was moved to a new thread]
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Create A Quick Link for "Ask a Question".
  • Briangolberg
    Briangolberg Member
    Hello. I have a 2010 version. Windows
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm strictly a Mac user, so I can't help you. Hopefully some of the Windows gurus here will chime in with how to search for your most recent Quicken data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    File -> Find Quicken Files...
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Within your "Documents > Quicken" folder you'll find a folder called "BACKUP".  That's the folder where Quicken stores a backup of your data file when you shut down Quicken.  How often a backup is made is controlled by "Edit > Preferences... > Backup" based on what's in the area titled "Automatically save a copy of your Quicken data file at regular intervals".  In my file I have that set up to save each time I shut down and to maintain 15 backups.  So in my case I can find the 5/14/20 backup in that folder as I typically shut Quicken down each evening.  So that would be the first place to look.
    In that same "Edit > Preferences... > Backup" window there's also an area for so-called "manual" backups titled "Manual backup reminder".  Every so often, depending on your settings, you're asked if you want to make a backup; you typically specify that these backups be stored somewhere off the drive holding your main Documents folder, for safety reasons. 
    I believe that if you make a backup using "File > Backup and Restore > Backup Quicken file..." that the same directory where you make manual backups will come up by default, although it might be the last place you stored a backup using "File > Backup and Restore > Backup Quicken file..." if you didn't use the "manual file" backup path. 
    So try "File > Backup and Restore > Backup Quicken file..." and see what's in the box titled "Backup file:"   Then navigate to that spot and see if you can find that 5/14/20 backup.
    If you simply can't find that backup then a general search on ".QDF-backup" might be in order.
This discussion has been closed.