Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Quicken using Massive processing time

Quicken processor usage soars to roughly 60% when ever I try to do anything. If I try to resize the window it is very slow, grabby. If I try to edit an entry it freezes. I can see the processor usage in Task Manager.
Have worked with Support. They had me remove and reinstall Quicken, same problem.
This is a lightly used computer, the Wife does some Zoom meetings and email. She uses iPhone to surf the web. There was a recent Win10 update. Also installed HideVolumeOSD to get rid of pesky stuck volume bar. That's it. Dell laptop.
Help appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the issue persists after you reboot Windows, I suggest you determine if the issue is specific to the Quicken file or the installation by examining the performance using an new Quicken file.  If the issue is specific to the Quicken file, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  If the issue is specific to the installation, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update:  https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • HpeerHpeer Member
    Sherlock,

I was working with Quicken Support yesterday and did a clean reinstall under their supervision then.

Today I created a new file and that did not solve the problem.

I did find that the problem is specific to the “CATEGORY” field. PAYEE MEMO PAYMENT DEPOSIT all work as intended, at least in the new file.

It is just when I try the CATEGORY entry that the processor runs hard.

I keep a separate set of backups in addition to the normal quicken backup. I picked up a file from 2 years ago and have the same issue.

The only other thing I have to offer is that earlier, just before this started. we were working with Quicken support on a problem with an online account access. Nothing to do with this problem. During that trouble shooting we had to restart the computer and Windows decided to do an update at that time. Support helped us with the account access problem. We signed off. Then went to do some data entry and hit this problem. We called back to support and the first guy told me to do Mkndo Parch and when that didn’t work the line went dead. Called back the next day and Suport had me do a clean reinstall, with no effect. He had no further ideas but wanted me to do a defrag.
    And here we are. I now know it’s limited to the CATEGORY field.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you have done some of these tasks before, please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems
  • HpeerHpeer Member
    UKR
    Year:2020
    Version: R26.23
    Build: 27.1.26.23

Please note I already went to a 2 year old back up and the problem persists.
    The problem also exists in a NEW file.

If I understand the linked procedure I’ve already gone through that by hi th creating a new file and opening a much older file.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last batch of questions before I need to ask you to contact Quicken Support again and escalate your problem ...
    How much RAM do you have installed on your computer?
    How much of that is in use when you run Quicken? Task manager can answer these questions for you.
    How many categories do you have? Click Help, Shift-Click About Quicken to get this answer.
    Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it to your response.

The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. You can also try to drop and drag or copy and paste the image. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hpeer said:
    Sherlock,

I was working with Quicken Support yesterday and did a clean reinstall under their supervision then.

Today I created a new file and that did not solve the problem.

I did find that the problem is specific to the “CATEGORY” field. PAYEE MEMO PAYMENT DEPOSIT all work as intended, at least in the new file.

It is just when I try the CATEGORY entry that the processor runs hard.

I keep a separate set of backups in addition to the normal quicken backup. I picked up a file from 2 years ago and have the same issue.

The only other thing I have to offer is that earlier, just before this started. we were working with Quicken support on a problem with an online account access. Nothing to do with this problem. During that trouble shooting we had to restart the computer and Windows decided to do an update at that time. Support helped us with the account access problem. We signed off. Then went to do some data entry and hit this problem. We called back to support and the first guy told me to do Mkndo Parch and when that didn’t work the line went dead. Called back the next day and Suport had me do a clean reinstall, with no effect. He had no further ideas but wanted me to do a defrag.
    And here we are. I now know it’s limited to the CATEGORY field.
    Did you download and use QCleanUI and rename Quicken shared folders as instructed in: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken ?
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • HpeerHpeer Member
    Thanks you to all for your help. With the additional information and clues I gleaned from here I went back to Support. The technician was stumped so we escalated it to a supervisor level.

Bottom line is we installed Quicken on a second machine and the files work perfectly there. None of the processor loading issues. We can live with Quicken working on the second machine.

The effected laptop is my Wife’s and it has very little installed. It’s about 2 years old, all at support agreed it had more than enough resources for Quicken. The laptop is about 2 years old and has run Quicken flawlessly that entire time.

The only “guess” is that the latest Windows update screwed with something outside the Quicken program that Quicken uses.

Comparing processor usage in the 2 machines was interesting. Quicken screen share would itself load the one processor to (all very approximate) 20% and almost nothing on the “good” computer. Hitting the “category” files would load it up to as much as 70%. On the good processor the loads where small and intermittent. I haven’t looked at loads from other programs but she used it to run an 8 location Zoom meeting for 1-1/2 hours last night without problem.

Something in the machine changed to effect Quicken. We are locked down on a sailboat in The Caribbean and will sail back to USA arriving early July. I’m assuming there will be new Window updates by then. If they don’t fix this issue we will take the machine to our support person and have them look at it. Wish me luck.

Again thank much for your very helpful assistance.

Howard