Error message when opening Quicken during One-Step Update.

When I start Quicken and it runs the One-Step Update I get an error message that says, "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client." But I have Outlook as my default mail client. And after Quicken runs the Update, the Quicken Update progress window says it has successfully synced up to Outlook for reminders, but every time I start Quicken I get that message. Is there a way to correct so that it knows Outlook is the default, or at least stop the error message I get every time? I'm using Quicken Premier Version R26.23.

Thanks,

octoberman9

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
  • octoberman9
    octoberman9 Member
    I followed the procedure, found the key in the registry, however it didn't have the value "Version" under either key folder (32-bit or 64-bit) that it says should be renamed. It did have two values under each instance, both having "(Default) REG_SZ value (value not set)" and "SearchProtocolHost.exe REG_SZ value Microsoft Outlook". Should I rename one of these according to the procedure described in the fix, or create a whole new value with "Version_Renamed" value.
  • octoberman9
    octoberman9 Member
    Update:

Sorry, but I initially didn't notice this note included with the remedy you suggested, which describes my case shown above:

"NOTE: If you do not find the Version value with no data associated with it, or the Version value does not exist at all under this registry path, then there is a different cause of the error. Please search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for additional causes of this error."

However, upon searching the Knowledge Base it returns about 685 resolutions, with the one you suggested as being the closest to the actual error message. Can you point me in any direction that might help besides the first remedy? I find it interesting that after I first installed Quicken and for several Updates afterward I didn't encounter this problem, then suddenly I started seeing this error message. I've started seeing a couple of different syncing to cloud problems crop up all of a sudden, but as you suggested I think I'll start a separate thread for those.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    octoberman9
This discussion has been closed.