Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Capital One credit card site won't download in QFX format

What is up with Capital One? I get the message "( QFX,QBO,OFX ) filetypes are not available at this time." Is there a work around for this?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer
    @Karen - Quicken offers 3 ways to connect to FIs:  DC (Direct Connect), EWC (Express Web Connect) and WC (Web Connect).  Each FI defines which of these they will offer Quicken users.  Each Quicken user then decides which of the offered options he/she wants to use.
    The process you described is WC (Web Connect - logging into your online account, downloading QFX files from there and then importing them into Quicken).  
    DC and EWC are options in which Quicken is able to download the transactions and account balance data via OSU (One Step Update) so you do not need to log into your credit card account and download and import the data files yourself.  Most users use these connections rather than WC but there are a fair number of users who prefer to use WC.
    Cap One Credit Cards, in addition to offering WC, also offers EWC.
    I normally use EWC to connect to Cap One Credit Cards.  But for the test I performed as noted in my post above, I did WC so I could try to replicate the issue you were seeing.  Regardless of method, I have had no recent issues downloading transactions and balance data from Cap One.
    If you want to set up your Quicken Cap One account for EWC: 
    1. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab. 
    2. You should see there that your account is set up for WC. 
    3. Beneath that should be a link which says that your FI offers an improved connection method.  Click on that link and it will take you through the process of setting up the best connection method (in this case, EWC).
    4. During this set up process, you will be asked to enter your Cap One UserID and PW.  Beneath the field where you enter the PW is a box to check if you want Quicken to save your Cap One login information to your Quicken PW Vault.  Check that box unless you want to enter your login information every time you run OSU.
    5. During the set up process, you might be prompted to Add, Link or Ignore the data downloaded by Quicken.  Be sure to select Link and then select your Quicken account for Cap One.
    6. The first time you do this, Quicken might download transactions that are duplicates of what is already in your register.  If that happens you will need to manually delete those duplicate transactions.  This should not happen, again, with future updates.
    7. Whenever you want to update your Cap One account, go to Tools > One Step Update.  If you did not check the box noted in #4, you will need to enter your Cap One login information each time you run OSU.
    If you like how this OSU process works, you can set up your other accounts to be included in OSU, too.  Just repeat the process spelled out above for each of them.  Then when you run OSU Quicken will update all of the accounts you set up for it at one time.
    Regarding the Footer:  To minimize the footer, just click on the "V" (circled in red).  It will open up again when you download new transactions but if it remains expanded after you accept the transactions, just click on that "V", again.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    You might want to try, again.  I just downloaded a QFX file for my Cap One CC.
    BTW, FIs often do system maintenance on weekends and holidays.  When that happens all we can do is wait and try again later.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Boatnmaniac , try again because it just worked for both of my two different CapOne card, Quicksilver & Savor.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Karen
    Karen Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Still not working. I'll try tomorrow and report back.
  • Karen
    Karen Member ✭✭
    So it's still not working the way it does with my other accounts. Capital One customer service was zero help.
    I did a google search and it seems there is different way to download from Capital One....directly through the Quicken software. Is this how you all download from Cap One, rather than via the Cap One website?

Another question...after downloading this way, there is a persistent footer at the bottom of the account... > Downloaded transactions (0) Bill and Income Reminders (0 Due) Is there some way to get rid of this?

Thanks very much.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2020 Accepted Answer
    @Karen - Quicken offers 3 ways to connect to FIs:  DC (Direct Connect), EWC (Express Web Connect) and WC (Web Connect).  Each FI defines which of these they will offer Quicken users.  Each Quicken user then decides which of the offered options he/she wants to use.
    The process you described is WC (Web Connect - logging into your online account, downloading QFX files from there and then importing them into Quicken).  
    DC and EWC are options in which Quicken is able to download the transactions and account balance data via OSU (One Step Update) so you do not need to log into your credit card account and download and import the data files yourself.  Most users use these connections rather than WC but there are a fair number of users who prefer to use WC.
    Cap One Credit Cards, in addition to offering WC, also offers EWC.
    I normally use EWC to connect to Cap One Credit Cards.  But for the test I performed as noted in my post above, I did WC so I could try to replicate the issue you were seeing.  Regardless of method, I have had no recent issues downloading transactions and balance data from Cap One.
    If you want to set up your Quicken Cap One account for EWC: 
    1. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab. 
    2. You should see there that your account is set up for WC. 
    3. Beneath that should be a link which says that your FI offers an improved connection method.  Click on that link and it will take you through the process of setting up the best connection method (in this case, EWC).
    4. During this set up process, you will be asked to enter your Cap One UserID and PW.  Beneath the field where you enter the PW is a box to check if you want Quicken to save your Cap One login information to your Quicken PW Vault.  Check that box unless you want to enter your login information every time you run OSU.
    5. During the set up process, you might be prompted to Add, Link or Ignore the data downloaded by Quicken.  Be sure to select Link and then select your Quicken account for Cap One.
    6. The first time you do this, Quicken might download transactions that are duplicates of what is already in your register.  If that happens you will need to manually delete those duplicate transactions.  This should not happen, again, with future updates.
    7. Whenever you want to update your Cap One account, go to Tools > One Step Update.  If you did not check the box noted in #4, you will need to enter your Cap One login information each time you run OSU.
    If you like how this OSU process works, you can set up your other accounts to be included in OSU, too.  Just repeat the process spelled out above for each of them.  Then when you run OSU Quicken will update all of the accounts you set up for it at one time.
    Regarding the Footer:  To minimize the footer, just click on the "V" (circled in red).  It will open up again when you download new transactions but if it remains expanded after you accept the transactions, just click on that "V", again.
  • Karen
    Karen Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your detailed response. I actually prefer WC, which is what I use for my other accounts, but Cap One site has other ideas. So EWC it is!

Thanks again. I appreciate your time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thought (a wild shot) on this, even though it shouldn't work this way, maybe you have to in fact have the account setup for Express Web Connect before they will allow downloading of the QFX file.  (Or some other kind of "enabling").
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Karen
    Karen Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW ...thanks for the suggestion. EWC does permit downloading QFX through the "one step updating" in the Quicken software. What I was looking to do was to download my transactions directly from the Cap One website...that is what is not working, but it's all good. At least I can download through OSU.
This discussion has been closed.