Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

Backup error (Q Mac)

DavidBDavidB Member ✭✭
With Quicken Deluxe 2020 (Build 5.16.1, macOS 10.15.4), when I click File > Save a Backup, I get an error message, "The file 'data-journal' doesn't exist. If I click OK, the backup isn't created, but it usually is if I try a second time.

I think this may have something to do with the fact that a few days ago I opened a backup file (to view a deleted entry), then closed it and deleted the file before I had quit Quicken.

Should I uninstall and reinstall Quicken? If so, how?

Thank you,

David
Tagged:

Comments

• Lazarus LongLazarus Long Member ✭✭
    Same error here, whenever I manually backup. However if I just try it again, there's no error.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem doing a manual backup.

Where is your backup file location? Are you using Dropbox, or is it on your hard drive in the default location (your Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups)?
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DavidBDavidB Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > I have no problem doing a manual backup.
    >
    > Where is your backup file location? Are you using Dropbox, or is it on your hard drive in the default location (your Library > Application Support > Quicken > Backups)?

I'm not using Dropbox.

The backups are in ~/Documents/Accounting Backups, where I have had them since the first OSX, about 20 years ago. (Don't remember where they were before that, but somewhere similar.)
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, let's address another possible issue. In modern macOS -- unlike when you started using it two decades ago -- there's a setting to have your Desktop and Documents folder stored on iCloud. That can cause issues with Quicken. 
    1. Go to the  Apple menu in Mac OS and choose “System Preferences”
    2. Go to 'iCloud' preference panel.
    3. Look for 'iCloud Drive' and click the “Options…” button next to it.
    4. Is the box next to 'Desktop & Documents Folder' checked? If so, your documents in these two locations have been moved to iCloud.
    If that's turned on, you might want to try turning it off to see if it makes a difference. But before you do, read this article (or Google for others) about it, because you will need to manually copy your files back from iCloud to your local hard drive.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DavidBDavidB Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    >there's a setting to have your Desktop and Documents folder stored on iCloud. That can cause issues with Quicken. * Go to the  Apple menu in Mac OS and choose “System Preferences”
    > * Go to 'iCloud' preference panel.
    > * Look for 'iCloud Drive' and click the “Options…” button next to it.
    > * Is the box next to 'Desktop & Documents Folder' checked? If so, your documents in these two locations have been moved to iCloud.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have never stored Quicken files in iCloud.

(Also, by the way, with macOS 10.15, there is no longer an iCloud preferences pane in System Preferences; instead, the path is System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud.)
  • DavidBDavidB Member ✭✭
    > @Lazarus Long said:
    > Same error here, whenever I manually backup. However if I just try it again, there's no error.

What OS are you running?
  • DavidBDavidB Member ✭✭
    edited May 26
    Update:

I called Quicken Support, who said to try saving the backup file in a different location, but that didn't solve the problem. (I'll call again when they reopen tomorrow.)

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quicken, but that didn't help either.
  • DavidBDavidB Member ✭✭
    When I called Quicken Support again, they said it this a known bug with version 5.16.1.

The workaround (back up again) is not so onerous, so I'm satisfied to wait until a new version fixes it.
  • Dan12Dan12 Member ✭✭
    I started seeing this message as well after recently updating to 5.16.1 (Build 516.33903.100). Thanks for taking the time to call support and posting what they said.
  • geralyn5geralyn5 Member
    I too am having this same problem. Thanks for your comments. I will wait a while longer for Quicken to fix.
  • cherishencherishen Member ✭✭
    I'm also having the same problem. I do backup to iCloud, but have done locally also. Only get error on first attempt (and not all the time), when I try again, it seems to work. I'll wait for the fix, also.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    I'm having the same issue. When doing a back up I get the error on the first try. It usually will be fine when I attempt again.
  • RIckRIck Member ✭✭✭
    I get the same error. Have gotten it multiple times and all when using latest build 5.16.1. Sure hope a fix comes soon.
  • Quicken FranciscoQuicken Francisco Moderator mod
    Hello everyone,

This is currently a bug that we're aware of and will have a fix for on the next 5.17 update. In the mean time if anything else happens with the bug please let us know!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • lablover57lablover57 Member ✭✭✭
    I am getting the same error. Plus, since one of my NAS drives have bit the dust and I had 'automatic backups' selected, I can't change the drive.  I have, for now, unselected that choice since anything I do to change it to the new drive(location) does nothing.
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
This discussion has been closed.