Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Paid Bill pay transition to Quicken Bill Manager/Bill Pay

As a Windows subscription user of Premier and a Bill Pay user via my local bank ($10/mo) forever, it's my understanding that this arrangement will not change. Given the need to reenter all billing information (including reminders) and the inability to schedule payments, the change will take some time. If I were to start moving to the new Quicken processes, can both services be used at the same time? Would there be 2 instances of a vendor payment information (one for each platform)?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Hello @dc0063,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

It sounds like you're referring to Direct Connect Bill Pay where your financial institution charges you a fee to use the service. If I understood that correctly, you won't need to switch to Quicken Bill Manager since only the Quicken Bill Pay service is being discontinued and requiring the transition.

You can, however, still sign up for Quicken Bill Manager even if you continue using Direct Connect Bill Pay. I do want to inform you that Quicken Bill Manager currently does not have the ability to schedule payments until later this year, and there are limitations on the number of payments you can make each month. So, if you do decide to sign up for Quicken Bill Manager, I would say that continuing to use Direct Connect Bill Pay alongside Quicken Bill Manager may be beneficial to you in that regard.

Below are some useful links to some of our support articles regarding Quicken Bill Manager that you can review for more information on how to set it up and use it.
    1. Quicken Bill Manager: How To Set Up Quick Pay and Check Pay
    2. How to move from Quicken Bill Pay to Quicken Bill Manager
    3. Quicken Bill Manager: How To Make Payments Using Quick Pay and Check Pay
    4. Quicken Bill Manager: How many payments can I make each month?
    5. Quick Pay And Check Pay Frequently Asked Questions
    I hope you find these to be useful to you and let us know if you have any additional questions and concerns!
    -Quicken Anja
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭
    Anja,
    Thanks for your response, confirming a hybrid strategy would be available, and for putting a name to my bill pay product. It makes the documentation so much more understandable. Are there plans for the future to utilize the vendor payment information already entered into Quicken for Bill Manager to reduce or eliminate re-entry woes? Or is the information proprietary to the Direct Connect Bill Pay provider?
    Again, thank you
  • Quicken Anja
    So far, there is a way to copy your online payees from Bill Pay to Quicken Bill Manager. You can review how to do so in this support article. Although the feature only states Bill Pay, the Overview section at the start of the article does state Quicken Bill Pay specifically. So, I am not sure if the feature only works for Quicken Bill Pay online payees or if it would work for Direct Connect Bill Pay online payees as well. It wouldn't hurt to try it though.

If it doesn't work, then that would confirm that the feature only works for Quicken Bill Pay online payees, and I personally haven't heard of any official plans in place to implement that for Direct Connect Bill Pay as well. However, if it's a feature you would like to request, then you do have the option to create an idea post here on the Community instead, which will allow other users to vote on the idea if they also would like to have that option. 

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭
    Anja

Again thanks for both the information and incite in the delivery. While scheduling is critical to conversion, I will make it a point to review all the material you’ve provided and make a stab at enabling and copying a vendor record. I’ll report back progress results. Hopefully I’ll also be able to get a handle on duplicate vendors and real-time selection of service as I’ll be running concurrently.

Appreciatively,
    d
  • Quicken Anja
    No problem!
    -Quicken Anja
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭
    Anja
    I've enabled and verified QBM. There is no method to copy a current pay vendor to the new Bill Manager. Or add one to the new QBM separate from DCBP. (Without payment scheduling, I'm unable to convert any vendors at this time.)
    At the same time, there is no apparent way to choose which payment system to use. So, with two systems approved, which does Quicken choose?

Hopefully, my payment reminders will operate using the original DCBP. Whether making a payment from the Bills/Income page executes DCBP or QBM is not clear.
    Best,
    Denis
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the update!

So I was able to confirm that the Copy Payee feature is available for Quicken Bill Pay online payees, but does not include any Direct Connect Bill Pay online payees.  

With Direct Connect Bill Pay services, the online payee data is actually stored with your financial institution (FI) and syncs with Quicken, since that info technically belongs to the FI, we don't have a way to copy the info into the data file right now.

The design behind Quicken Bill Manager (QBM) is to make paying bills easier and globalize it to one location in Quicken. It's intended for users to create a reminder and link the reminder to the online biller, then download the bill details into Quicken, making the payment based on the details provided by the biller.

If the reminder is linked to the online biller, you have the option and a button for Quick Pay in the Bills & Income tab. Clicking Quick Pay creates and sends the payment using the QBM system.

If the biller isn't available to link to a reminder, then you would use either Check Pay or the FI bill service to make the payment. If you want to send a Check Pay payment, you would go to the Bills & Income tab, click on the Check Pay button, and the payment is processed and sent by the QBM system.

If you want to make the payment using the Direct Connect Bill Pay service, then you would do it from the register or Tools > Online Center > Payments tab.  A transaction should be created in the account register with a Send status and you would see the payment listed in One Step Update.

Last, how to see which payee is set up for which service:
    • Quick Pay payees are found in the Bills & Income tab and can be recognized by the Quick Pay button option with online billers (QBM).
    • Check Pay payees are found in the Bills & Income tab, changing the view dropdown menu to Check Pay payees (QBM).
    • Direct Connect Bill Pay online payees are found in the Tools > Online Payee list.
    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
    -Quicken Anja
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Last, how to see which payee is set up for which service:
    • Quick Pay payees are found in the Bills & Income tab and can be recognized by the Quick Pay button option with online billers (QBM).
    • Check Pay payees are found in the Bills & Income tab, changing the view dropdown menu to Check Pay payees (QBM).
    • Direct Connect Bill Pay online payees are found in the Tools > Online Payee list.
    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
    I'll mention that for me, the Bills Action column is a bit schizophrenic.  I usually have the Bills tab set up to display "By Date" and "All Bills".  The action menu window default will be displayed as Pay, Enter, Edit, Check Pay or Quick Pay (not sure how it decides which if multiple options are available for a payee).  The drop down menu does usually display the other options that are available.  Anyway, If you want to see who is set up for what type of payment(s) I believe it's necessary to set the Bills tab to display Biller Name (left hand window) and then you can choose to limit the display to just show bills set up for online bills, billpay bills, manual bills or online payees.  Anyway that's how it works for me.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭
    Anja
    Anja, thanks to you and jafaris for great information. Stepping away from the ‘weeds’, Anja, you wrote:
    The design behind Quicken Bill Manager (QBM) is to make paying bills easier and globalize it to one location in Quicken. It's intended for users to create a reminder and link the reminder to the online biller, then download the bill details into Quicken, making the payment based on the details provided by the biller.
    Actually this explains a bunch of procedural changes and some of the confusion. So where the payment is initiated can be important. Also, you use the term ‘reminder’ in a manner that suggests a way to add a bill payer account – link. This would then explain the behavior of linking a ‘manual’ payment to an online bill generated the QP button.
    These are fundamental changes to some of the high use-case functions of the program and probably need some additional communications for us ‘vintage’ users.
    But, let me deviate for a personal rant. Had the system developers actually followed the goal, there would be payment scheduling. Without it, two prime use cases are depreciated – bill payment and real-time reconciled balances.
    Appreciate your patience/skill
    denis
  • starrdd49
    starrdd49 Member ✭✭
    I have been a Quicken user for 20+years and a Bill Pay user form the day it went live. As soon as I got the notification that Bill Pay was going away I started working on migrating to Bill Manager.

I have spent a tome of hours to get the application to work and I thought I had it working but I got STUNG with a UI issue and because of the lack of documentation.

I have my bill coming in from my Billers and populating the Bills & Income UI (woohoo) but my understanding was that for Quick Pay you clicked on the down arrow and selected "enter".

My wife and I (retired) went on a trip the see the grand kids and I dispatched ALL my bills before leaving and when we came home our utilities had been disconnected because our bills were NOT paid.

The problem is that if you use the down arrow to dispatch your bills the default to Bill Pay. (probably if you WERE a Pill Pay customer)

You get a "confirmation" that the payment processed and the think that all is OK but it never processes.

I now have a freezer full ($1600.oo) of meat and a freezer ($600.oo) going to the dump.

I went back into quicken and just clicked on Quick Pay and resent all my bills (plus LATE FEES) and crossed my fingers that it works !

Question 1:

How do I get rid of the payments in limbo ?

Question 2:

Who do I sent the bill fro the meat and freezer and late fees ?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    starrdd49 said:
    I have my bill coming in from my Billers and populating the Bills & Income UI (woohoo) but my understanding was that for Quick Pay you clicked on the down arrow and selected "enter".

Question 1:

How do I get rid of the payments in limbo ?

I agree, there is a serious lack of documentation for Bill Manager payments.
    How do the limbo payments appear in the payment account register?  Enter is still the primary way to pay using Quicken BillPay which is still operational until the end of August. I am using it for most billers since it is currently the only way to schedule a payment date in the future.  Did you manually cancel your QBP account? 
    Quick Pay typically uses the biller's online payment system so the surest way to verify payment is to check the biller's web site.  There is a problem with some billers who want to charge a fee for using their payment system (utilities in particular do this).  For me, I got a fee warning when I tried to use Quick Pay for my electric company.  I ended up cancelling the payment to avoid the fee and just used my traditional BillPay system to make the payment.  Since each biller's payment system has different rules, it may be a while before Quick Pay works consistently with all online billers.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to convert slowly from DCBP to QBM, but am confused by the Bill page. I've online billers and manual billers.
    Online billers give me Quick Pay button (of course) and in the sub menu, Pay, Enter, Mark as Paid, ..etc.
    Manual billers, I'm offered either an Enter button or Pay button depending on the biller, but have no clue why . Enter offers no payment actions; Pay offers Enter.
    Is there a matrix of definitions available?
  • robertlstein
    robertlstein Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It seems to me that the only way that Quicken Bill Manager would be able to schedule future transactions is a server-based solution. If you enter bills in a Quicken session for a future date (not currently possible!), because Quicken Bill Manager is strictly real-time, for scheduling to work either a Quicken background process (and a computer left on all the time) or submitting the future transaction to an intermediary server would be necessary.

Quicken has been totally silent on their upcoming solution, but I've just migrated to a bank with Direct Connect to avoid this absolute [removed - profanity].
This discussion has been closed.