Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What does Reset DTSTART do?

On some accounts, even after the Reset to current date + refresh + update/send and then update again, the date reverts back to 1970 while some others stick! Hence my question:
- What does Reset DTSTART do exactly that is different from regular update?
- Does it work consistently for all types of accounts?
- When should I do the Reset and what difference should I observe as a result?
- What is the role of the date field; setting it to today vs last week or last month, etc.?
- Is selecting any of the other check boxes in that screen a requirement or optional?
Screen attached. I have researched this here and perhaps not found the right link with detailed info. Thank you.
- Q Win Deluxe user since 2010, US Subs R32.12
- I don't use Sync, Cloud, Mobile, Web, Bill Pay/Mgr, Tax
- Techie, Win10 Pro x64 20H2

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    DTSTART is a debugging setting that should almost never be needed.  What's more it only applies to accounts that are setup for Direct Connect.

DTSTART is a field in a OFX request for downloading transactions  (Direct Connect uses the OFX protocol).  The DTSTART field gives the financial institution the approximate minimum date and time for the requested transactions.

When you ask Quicken to download your transactions it sends the financial institution that request and DTSTART is in that request.  Normally Quicken sets DTSTART to a little more than 2 weeks before the last date that you downloaded.  It does this because some financial institutions don't properly adhere to the standard and don't properly process pending transactions that were uncleared in the last download, and cleared in this one.  So it uses overlapping dates and relies on the unique Ids to block duplicate transactions.

One thought might be to use this setting when you first setup an account and you get say 90 days of transactions and want more.  But in my testing this doesn't work because the financial institution limits the downloading just like it does on the initial download (On the initial download Quicken sets DTSTART to 1/1/1970).  So the only way to get the old transactions are with a downloaded QFX file or maybe importing a QIF file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    DTSTART is a debugging setting that should almost never be needed.  What's more it only applies to accounts that are setup for Direct Connect.

DTSTART is a field in a OFX request for downloading transactions  (Direct Connect uses the OFX protocol).  The DTSTART field gives the financial institution the approximate minimum date and time for the requested transactions.

When you ask Quicken to download your transactions it sends the financial institution that request and DTSTART is in that request.  Normally Quicken sets DTSTART to a little more than 2 weeks before the last date that you downloaded.  It does this because some financial institutions don't properly adhere to the standard and don't properly process pending transactions that were uncleared in the last download, and cleared in this one.  So it uses overlapping dates and relies on the unique Ids to block duplicate transactions.

One thought might be to use this setting when you first setup an account and you get say 90 days of transactions and want more.  But in my testing this doesn't work because the financial institution limits the downloading just like it does on the initial download (On the initial download Quicken sets DTSTART to 1/1/1970).  So the only way to get the old transactions are with a downloaded QFX file or maybe importing a QIF file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.