Wrong Payee

After reconciling and selecting to pay account, payee does not have correct address as shown in Online payee list. Payee name is correct, but is an old one.

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @rmartle,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you are still needing assistance, please take a moment and review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

To better understand the issue, would you mind also letting us know more details regarding what you are attempting to do in Quicken? If you are attempting to pay a bill, please let us know what Bill Pay Service you are using, etc.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• rmartel
    rmartel Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thank you Natalie. Quicken version is
    Year: 2020
    Version: R26.23
    Build: 27.1.26.23

After reconciling and selecting to pay the bill, system open to checking. The payee is not the correct payee, selecting the drop down menu to select the correct payee is not the payee in online payee list. It is an old payee with the same name.

Note: since i didn't have a statement to reconcile, this info is provided by memory.

Question: Is a credit account linked automatically to an online payee account? If so, how is it set up.

Thank you

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used this particular dialog to pay a credit card bill by check for many years. But, since this is one of the original features of Quicken, dating back to times before the Internet was invented and before Online Bill Pay, Quicken uses its Address Book to store the Payee Name and Address for the check. Please take a look in there ...

• rmartel
    rmartel Member ✭✭
    There are 2 address book, Memorized & Online Payees. Online Payees are used for online payments and i suspect matches the banks records..

You mentioned you don't use the reconciling method, what do you use.

Don't you reconcile your accounts?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Address Book I'm talking about can be found in the Tools Menu or, when working with the Write and Print Checks dialog and you are inputting check information use the Edit Address button.
    Memorized Payee Lists and Online Payees are independent of this.
    I reconcile my accounts regularly. However, at the end of reconcile I skip the pay now dialog (if it pops up at all).
    I have authorized the billers to autopay / direct debit / PAC draft the amount of the bill directly from my checking account on due date. In Quicken I use a Scheduled Reminder to create an internal transfer from checking to credit card account a couple of days before Due date. When I download transactions from the bank, the downloaded direct debit will match with the transaction generated from the Scheduled Reminder and all will be well. Haven't missed making a payment in many years.
  • rmartel
    rmartel Member ✭✭
    Thank you
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also pay my credit cards as the last step in reconciling them, and I also consistently see incorrect payees when I do. In my case, the name of the credit card accounts appear where the payee names should be. This happens every month for 2 credit cards, and I can find no way to remedy it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • rmartel
    rmartel Member ✭✭
    Has this been elevated to Quicken?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I also pay my credit cards as the last step in reconciling them, and I also consistently see incorrect payees when I do. In my case, the name of the credit card accounts appear where the payee names should be. This happens every month for 2 credit cards, and I can find no way to remedy it.

next time this happens to you, can you show us an image snapshot of what you are getting?
    AFAIK, the Payee Name used to create this check should default to the account register name, e.g., ABC VISA 1234.
    If the bank requires a "Pay order of: ABC VISA" you can change your account register name to "ABC VISA {1234}".
    Remember that a Payee Name containing text in {braces} will be printed in the Pay order of line of a check without the text in {braces}. Everywhere else in Quicken, the text in {braces} will show and print.
    To get a correct mailing address, e.g., "ABC Bank Inc." you can use the Address Book entry's Format options: Put the required bank name into the "Attn: line". Set Format options to print the Attention line before payee and "Omit payee".

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 2020
    UKR said:
    AFAIK, the Payee Name used to create this check should default to the account register name, e.g., ABC VISA 1234.
    If the bank requires a "Pay order of: ABC VISA" you can change your account register name to "ABC VISA {1234}".
    I don't think so. All my other credit cards have always shown the correct payee names, not the account names. Only my 2 most recently created (years ago) credit card accounts exhibit this issue. I believe this is my own personal data corruption.
    BTW, I am not printing paper checks to pay them. I'm paying them online via Bank of America Direct Connect. But the final step of the reconcile process generates the online "check" in the Write Checks dialog.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited May 2020
    rmartel said:
    Has this been elevated to Quicken?
    I reported my problem years ago, but they couldn't reproduce it. I think the only way they could reproduce it is if I sent them my intact data file, which I am reluctant to do. Are you willing to do so?
  • rmartel
    rmartel Member ✭✭
    no, i do not want to do. I thinking about deleting the account and online payees associated with the account in online and memorized payee list. Just concerned about damage i may create.
This discussion has been closed.