Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bill manager not getting online bill

I waited for a few of weeks after linking to online bill, but Quicken still states: "Bill added. Waiting for latest update." (My checking account was verified through Bill Manager.) Refresh/retry give same result.

How can I fix? Do I need to cancel QuickenBillPay before using Bill Manager?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @garyz1

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Please let me know if these steps help to correct the issue.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Joe Mazza
    Joe Mazza Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue and know what the problem is.

When adding an Xfinity bill, after validating the user id and password Xfinity should be coming back with a two-factor authorization prompt. It's not doing that which is why the bill doesn't get updated.

Quicken, can you look into resolving this?
  • PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    Is there any resolution to this? Multiple people have reported the same problem for months. Not only does Bill Manager not download the bill properly, but it won't let me pay because 'the online biller information is not available'.
    I have to keep falling back to Quicken Bill Pay in order to pay
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @PeterK In the past (I stopped using it out of frustration) I used the "Bill Presentment" (Online Bills) feature for quite a while so I have a feel for how it works and here is what I think.

There were some bills that always worked (my credit card bills).
    There were some bills that never downloaded (my water bill that is paid every two months and Quicken also kept changing the reminder to once a month).
    There are some billers that were just not available or always stayed in the "awaiting state".

I think the backend system that the third party provides is like Intuit's Express Web Connect.  As in there isn't any standard on how to transfer the information.  It is more of ad hock agreements and such.  And as such just like Express Web Connect it is subject to all the same "can't log in" and other connection type problems.

This means that every "biller" is "unique" in the problems they might be having connecting to the the "biller's website" or downloading the billing information.

For instance I have notice that when people are using Express Web Connect of say XXX credit card and start reporting problems downloading their transactions there are also reports of the same thing happening for the bill information being downloaded.

Bottom line is as  @Quicken_Tyka stated you will have to contact Quicken support for them to "fix this one problem", there isn't such a thing as "the same problem" when you are talking about different billers.  And there going to be a "solution".  Every problem will have to be addressed individually.

Personally my solution going back more than 30 years is to just setup automatic payments to my credit card which even pays me cash back, and for a very few like my utility bill it comes directly out of my checking account.  This even gives me 20 to 30 days to see what I'm going to have to pay on the credit card, which makes cash flow much easier.  And if needed (I actually have never needed it) I can dispute the charge.

The only reason I had for using Online bills was for the varying bills.  Well it was a nice idea, but it never worked.  The big varying bills that I wanted to track were the credit cards.  First off we would end up returning something and that would change the actual amount billed from what was on the statement that the Bill Presentment works from.  Second when you connect an Online Bill to a reminder they remove the estimating options, and then just put in your last bill for the future reminders.  And in some cases when your bill goes into the "Awaiting Next Bill" state it would go to zero!

For the "small varying bills" well like I said they already go on to the credit card so I don't have to worry about such details.  I set them up more out of curiosity, but again they didn't all work perfectly right, so it just wasn't worth it to me.

This has been going on from day one that they introduced the Bill Presentment feature.  It did get somewhat better after a year or so, but it never was "perfect", but I think most people just gave up on it because it was just for bill presentment and you could just use a regular reminder for that when it didn't work.

Now that that the bill pay is layered on top of this system, there is a lot more "focus" on the problems (plus add in whatever the actual paying of the bills has).
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    There are so many inconsistencies and exceptions to Bill Manager (Presentment and Payment processes) that it will be a miracle if Quicken is ever able to provide a system with even close to the reliability of the expiring BillPay system.  As @Chris_QPW states, it is inherently flawed by relying on the ever changing web processes and strategies that various independent billers chose to implement.  I really don't understand why Quicken doesn't just establish a new relationship with a more traditional bill payment processor (Checkfree come to mind, it worked well for years).

I am among those users who don't currently process many billers using the Bill Manager systems.  We still have a couple months to wait before we see what the promised Bill Manager improvements will look like. Maybe they can make it work; sometimes miracles do happen.  ;)
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the various replies. Update: I was able to make a payment using Bill Manager. Previously, I tried to pay Capital One and then noticed a message about a problem with Cap One and Bill Manager. I then chose to pay another bill and it went through.
  • PeterK
    PeterK Member ✭✭
    I agree that the problems are always going to be unique to each individual biller.
    I thought I made some progress with Capital One in that it seemed to at least update the bill. But it only showed a payment of $25, which is nowhere close to the balance or the minimum payment. And when I tried to pay, I got the attached message. So for Capital One, I'm just going to have to pay them on their own website, which totally defeats the purpose of the convenience of Quicken.
  • I have a similar problem using Bill Manager with State Farm. After talking with Quicken Support and State Farm support many times I believe the issue is that Quicken has not coordinated SF and completed whatever protocol is needed.
  • garyz1
    garyz1 Member ✭✭
    Found this capitalone info:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-adding-or-updating-online-bills-capital-one-account-locked

"We also recommend that you do not attempt to add Capital One online bills at this time. We are working on a solution, but there is currently no ETA. Last updated: 03/03/2020 Article ID: GEN00692"
  • When will Quicken resolve this problem with Capital One? Looks like its been over a year? Any payment system (Bill Manager, Bill Pay, etc) is pretty useless when it can't handle ALL of the payments the user needs to process.
This discussion has been closed.