Home Before you Buy

Buy a subscription?... to download from a bank?... Not anymore!

MLO-CutQMLO-CutQ Member ✭✭
I'm processing downloads from a bank.

The last time I was forced to pay a subscription to keep downloads functioning, I warned the company that I was putting my retired programming skills back to work on ending that restriction. I'm not paying subscriptions anymore because I don't need Quicken anymore to do fast bank downloads and super easy and dynamic entry splits.

And along the way, I developed more useful charting too.

Thank you for the years we did use Quicken Home and Business, though. Would have stayed with the program, but the idea of paying over and over to use a standard set of features just annoyed me and my wife, who was at one time a big fan of the Quicken app.

Best Answer

Answers

• MLO-CutQMLO-CutQ Member ✭✭
    Will do that. I'm predicting I've heard the CEO's reasoning on subscriptions before, but I could be wrong of course.
  • MLO-CutQMLO-CutQ Member ✭✭
    Okay, I read the CEO's letter on the subject of switching to subscriptions.

You do have valid reasons for considering subscriptions that I'll mention later, but first I must say that the CEO letter really starts off with some sour notes. At least, it seems that way to me.

The CEO letter says a primary motivation is to simplify the experience of being an ongoing Quicken customer. I don't understand. What's simpler than paying for software when you want it? And if you want an upgrade with new features you need, what's simpler than just paying for it? Your approach seems to complicate the customer experience,,, make people pay for new features you weren't able to interest them in?

And subscriptions are better for focusing company resources on improving the software? Why do you need extra help focusing on improvements? Aren't you already focused because of competition, and the desire to grow your customer base?

The suggestion of needing continual updates for evolving technology and security sounds a bit plausible. To make it more believable, I would have included some historical examples of that. I don't think I've heard any hard evidence of bank download processes being in flux though, and I don't think I've seen a lot of visible changes in how Quicken handles user security, at least from the perspective of a traditional, household oriented user.

The CEO's discussion of evolving cost of ownership is interesting. Annual subscribers in essence only save 1/3rd? So they are doing the equivalent of buying the program two times every three years? Now I think I remember why I got annoyed with the subscription plan and decided to write my software.

The letter's section on Product Plans, is brief, so I did a google to find out what's improved lately for the traditional, household oriented user. I can see that improvements have happened. Improvements that can help keep the program competitive and attract new customers, but nothing that's significant for my traditional usage. And with my new competitive program, segregating/categorizing/splitting of bank download data is faster and easier, and using charts to spot financial trends, opportunities, and problems is simpler and more efficient.

Still, thanks again for the years of service you've provided with Quicken. I won't be needing the subscription plan anymore though, since I can do this on my own.
This discussion has been closed.