Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Premier 2017 - Now thinks it is Quicken Rental Property Manager

I am using Quicken 2017, Version 20.2, Build 26.1.20.2, on a Windows 8 machine. No, I'm not here to complain that my access to online services was disabled at the end of April. I know that was the deal. I am happy to load my stock quotes using Google Sheets and them import them into Quicken.

My issue is that, starting about two weeks ago, Quicken (the company) did something that caused the software to start demanding the entry of my Quicken ID repeatedly. I uninstalled Quicken but then was unable to reinstall it (probably because the installer was looking to the Intuit website for updates or something). Fortunately, Windows had a restore point that included my prior installation of Quicken, so at least I now have it running again (though it now believes it is "Quicken Rental Property Manager" for some reason rather than Quicken Premier 2017. The original problem (of asking for the Quicken ID) has gone away, but I would like to see if I can get the welcome screen to flash the original "Quicken Premier 2017" image instead of the Quicken Rental Property Manager image, if possible.

Would anyone happen to know which file the software is accessing to put up the welcome screen?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you may not have the final release for your version. Select the latest release for Q2017 from here.
    Note the additional notice for this release.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • andrewDC
    andrewDC Member
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, Geoff. I had resigned myself to not worrying about whether Quicken thought it was Premier or "Real Estate Manager," and assumed everything would be fine. Unfortunately, this morning, Quicken would not open any of my data files; it kept crashing. I thought I was going to have a very bad day.

(Removed-Inaccurate)  Specifically, I was getting repeated reminders to switch to the new subscription version, and then I was getting repeated prompts to enter my Quicken ID, both when launching the program and closing it. I don't begrudge the company for cutting off online services as of April 30, 2020, because that was the deal I signed up for, but there should be no reason for sending additional software updates for a program that the company no longer is supporting. I should be free to just use it in standalone/non-web mode. And that's what I've been trying to do.

I made a previous abortive attempt to reinstall Quicken. I made the mistake of uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. When I did this, Quicken said that it could not install the .NET framework on my computer because it already existed. So the Quicken 2017 software would not reinstall. That was a scary moment! I overcame this by using Windows to revert to a previous restore point. I later saw how-to guides about how to use the QCleanUI program but I was too afraid to try it.

This morning, when Quicken 2017 stopped working altogether, it forced my hand. I followed the instructions in this thread, even though it is describing how to reinstall Quicken 2016 rather than 2017:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875521/reinstalling-quicken-2016-how-to-get-past-the-intuit-registration-screen

This worked perfectly for me. The only thing I did differently is that I did not install a sequence of Mondo patches; I just went right to the latest, QW2017R20.2MPatch.

Now I am back up and running. Props to "thecreator" for posting those instructions!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    As you found out the information in that thread is wrong.  You only need to install the last patch because each patch includes the changes in the ones before it.

BTW I would bet that by following all the other steps in that thread you actually fixed the problem that was causing you not to be able to install Quicken 2017, so you could probably reinstall it the same way.  Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2016 both use the same .Net version.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.