Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Been running Quicken on 2 PC's, now I can't open my file after updating from 5.15.3 to 5.16.1

This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken for Mac v5.16 Released.

Comments

• Joe Pallas
    Joe Pallas Member ✭✭
    I've always known it wasn't supported, but up until now I've been able to run Quicken on my laptop with my datafile on my desktop machine, making sure I never have it open on both at the same time. Going from 5.15.3 to 5.16.1 seems to have broken that (Quicken complains it can't open the file).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As you note, running Quicken the way you were doing it is not supported because users can get locked out of their data files.

It's unlikely to have been caused by any code changes in 5.16. But the database was updated in 5.16, and Quicken automatically made a backup of your data file before moving forward, and somewhere in that process is where things likely went south for you. The issue comes up because your Quicken data file isn't really a single file at all. It's a special type of Mac file called a Package, which is a wrappers around files and folders to make them seem like a single file. (If you Control-Click on a Quicken data file and select Show Package Contents from the drop-down menu, you'll see that your Quicken file consists of multiple folders and files.) The problem that can occur relates to permission settings for those files and folders, because the owner of a file/folder on one Mac may have a different user ID number on the other Mac. If the permissions get set wrong, you're locked out. I'm not aware of any known way to manually fix the permissions. So in the short term, you'll want to revert to your most recent backup file.

Going forward, the safe way to use a file between two Mac is to always move the file to the Mac where you want to use it. The only safe ways to move a data file are to either move a backup generated by Quicken or to use the Finder's File > Compress command to create a .zip file. Both of these methods put a wrapper around the data file which prevents permission corruption. It may sound like a pain to do, but I think you'll find once you do it a few times that it only adds a few seconds of additional work. If you have filesharing on on your desktop Mac, simply make a Quicken backup or a Finder .zip file every time you finish using Quicken. The next time you want to use the file from your laptop, simply drag the .quickenbackup to the desktop of your laptop and double-click it, or drag the .zip file to the desktop of your laptop and double-click it to un-zip it and then double-click on the Quicken data file. When you're done your session on the laptop, make a Quicken backup or .zip backup and copy it back to the desktop Mac. That way, your latest data file is always the backup or zip on the desktop Mac, and you always start from there no matter which machine you're using. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.