Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Quicken Premier 2020 crashing often

I "upgraded", and i use that term generously, from Quicken 2017 a few weeks ago to Quicken Premier 2020 R26.23 (build 27.1.26.23) since downloads stopped on my older version.

I'm running this on Windows 10 Professional, version 1909 (all patches as of 5/28 to the OS have been applied)

When I uninstalled my old Quicken copy I used Revo Uninstaller to clean up the detritus (and there was a lot) after the native uninstall tool finished. I then used Quicken's removal tool after that and even had to manually clear out garbage left over even after all of this (like some Quicken files left over in my AppData folder). After installation of the new version I made sure the latest patch was applied (I used the Mondo patch). I rebooted after the last Quicken patch. I've also rebooted my PC a few time since installing the latest Quicken patch.

Since "upgrading", this new version is crashing often (which the older version rarely did). I can't say for sure what is causing it but it seems to happen not long after doing a One-Step Update. After the update, I accept a few new transactions, everything is going well. When I then scroll up in the register, for example, the program freezes up then crashes. When I restart it never seems to crash after that but I also didn't re-run OSU after the restart either.

Any suggestions from the Quicken staffers on how to figure out why this program crashes so often? I've filled out the bug report info that pops up after Quicken crashes and have also used "Report A Problem" inside Quicken after each crash.

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Tom MTom M Member ✭✭
    1) C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken. Same file folder as Quicken program, same as I've done since Quicken 2000.
    2) No
    3) No. I back up manually.

This did not happen routinely with Q2017 Premier. I used Q2017 until last month, this all started with installation of Q2020.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bad practice to store your Quicken data file in the Quicken program folder. Try moving it to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Tom MTom M Member ✭✭
    edited June 5
    May I ask why? I back up the file to another drive not on my PC so I would like to be enlightened as to why it's "bad practice" to have the file there, I found no warnings or other support docs to the effect. I have no idea why the location of a Quicken data file would have a bearing on Quicken's stability, if it does then I couldn't find the document. I had no issues with the file being in the Quicken directory until this version, and that's going back to Quicken 2000.

Just to make sure I changed the default data file to be in the documents folder. No difference, after a 1 step update a few operations later the program crashed, yet again. I then tried to moving the default location to another drive on my PC, not another partition but a secondary drive. OSU seems to be connected to this, after a 1 step update a few transactions later the program crashed yet again.