Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Anyone getting simple math errors in Portfolio Value Report?

I have a math error on my Portfolio Value Report. 3 account balances don't add correctly.
Tagged:

Answers

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Can you be more specific about what the issue is?  Is it that the total balance of all 3 accounts does not equal the sum of the individual account balances?  Or do the total balances of each of the individual accounts not equal the sums of the individual securities in those accounts?  Or....?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R27.28 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helpful to you, please "Like" it so others can know it might help them, too.
  • naugellinaugelli Member
    I have 3 holdings in one account that the total listed is off by $12.82.
    The multiplication of shares X price is correct, just the addition of the 3 holdings is off. This is only happening on 1 account out of 8 in my Portfolio Value Report.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31
    Are there transactions missing, e.g., Dividend, Commission or Fees?
    Are there Placeholder transactions that need to be resolved?
    Is the Cash Balance included in the View?
    Does the account register reconcile to the brokerage statements?
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows#latest

Please save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Michael WaceyMichael Wacey Member ✭✭
    I am having a similar problem with the Portfolio Value report. For most accounts, the subtotals are correct. The rows are correct and the cost basis is correct.The cost basis total seems to always be correct. But, the Gain/Loss column and the Balance column are sometimes wrong. In this case, it is simple math on the report that is wrong. The numbers just do not add up.

I have validated and super validated and the problem persists. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

In the image, you can see that the sub totals in red are not correct. The ones in yellow are correct.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michael Wacey, I'd look for placeholder transactions, as suggested by @ukr in the comment immediately above your's.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    I've checked and re-checked all placeholder transactions and cannot find any problem with them.
    "I've checked and re-checked all placeholder transactions "
    Which suggests that there ARE placeholders in your file.
    Would you care to clarify?
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @naugelli Just to be clear.  Placeholders are added to make up for missing transactions.  The very fact that you have them signifies that your account transactions are not accurate.  They should be replaced with transactions.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    I do have a few placeholders. I don't understand how they contribute to a simple addition error in the addition of three values.
    @naugelli frankly they might not be the problem, without digging into it (and we don't have your data file to look at) no one can probably tell exactly what the problem is.  But Placeholder do cause calculation errors because Quicken can't calculate the cost basis correctly.  The * in each of your rows of data indicate that.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    The * in each of your rows of data indicate that.
    * indicates "estimated". It being the weekend, all my securities have the * even though I have no placeholders.
    But placeholders are evil and must be replaced with accurate Buy or Add transactions.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    The graphic is from @Michael Wacey, not @naugelli
    Chris_QPW said:
    The * in each of your rows of data indicate that.
    * indicates "estimated". It being the weekend, all my securities have the * even though I have no placeholders.
    But placeholders are evil and must be replaced with accurate Buy or Add transactions.
    Oh, I don't look at those reports to often so I thought they were only there when it was estimating because of placeholders.
  • Michael WaceyMichael Wacey Member ✭✭
    edited June 23
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @Michael Wacey, I'd look for placeholder transactions, as suggested by @ukr in the comment immediately above your's.

I do not have any placeholder transactions.

But, the problem is that Quicken can't do simple math. The values are right there. It can add them up in one column but not another. Even worse, it can add them up correctly in the left hand pane in the investing group. It just cannot do it in the report.
    Have you set your account to "Show Hidden transactions", as Placeholders ARE typically hidden.
    Click EDIT, Preferences, "Investment Transactions" and check "Show Hidden Transactions".
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23
    I was skeptical, but yes, I am also seeing occasional addition errors in this report. Exporting to Excel makes them easy to see. No placeholders to blame this on.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also able to reproduce the issue.  In my case, I found the miscalculation occurs when we have more than one price established in the account for a security on the day it is sold.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried @Rocket J Squirrel 's exercise on the 16 distinct Investment Accounts in our working file.  Seven of the Accounts hold only one security and there were no math errors for those.  Of the nine remaining Accounts four of them showed math errors ranging from $.01 to $73.11.
    One of the four showed a difference only in the gain, off by $.01.  The remaining three Accounts had math errors in the basis with a follow-on error in the reported gain.