Import transx into invest account using Quicken generated QIF file

Options
I have one investment account, where for whatever reason, I had decided to split out two of the securities into separate accounts. We're talking transactions beginning in 1986.
What I would like to do is to recombine those two securities back into the main account keeping all the data: dates, purchases, reinvests, etc.
I have seen where you can import transactions using a QIF file. I also learned I can export the two individual security accounts into separate QIF files (or maybe both into one QIF file). Then hopefully import them.
What I don't know, since I've never done something like this, is if I start the import of the QIF file will it ask me which account I want to store the data in?
Thanks,
Vic

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe this FAQ still applies and should address your question.  
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19447597

• VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks q_lurker. I'll give that a shot. I made a copy of my QDF file and will test the import on the copy.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What version of Quicken are you using?

In Quicken 2017 and below you need to use the workaround that @q_lurker suggested to import QIF transactions into an investment account.

But in Quicken Subscription now allows you to import QIF files into any account using the GUI, so you don't need the above workaround.

On the other hand the transaction are going to go straight into the register without any processing.  So unlike Quicken 2017 and below the will not first show up in the Downloaded Transactions tab.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thx Chris_QPW. I should have stated that I'm using Quicken 2015 Deluxe. I attempted to import one of the securities using the Quicken generated QIF file. It appeared to work. Altho, I now have a discrepancy in my All Accounts total. I'll have to investigate where that might have been introduced.
    Vic
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On the questions you asked when exporting you can choose between one account or all, but not pick and choose.

To export use:
    File -> File Export -> QIF File...

To import use:
    File -> File Import -> QIF File...

Note that transfers tend to cause problems.  And I will point out that "Special handling for transfers" option means "delete the transfer in the 'from' account" with the "belief" that the "to" account will supply it when that account's QIF file is imported.  So it probably isn't what you want.  But on the other hand the matching of transfers was really poor in Quicken 2017 and below, and doesn't exist in Quicken Subscription, so you might get duplicate transfer transactions.

Also for any kind of "option" QIF files have the "action", but no way to store the "lots", so they will not import correctly.  And for the same reason all sell imports will be done as first in first out.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Why not simply move the transactions from one account into the other?  If you want to try this:
    1. Back up your file in case something goes wrong.
    2. Go to the Account Register for the account you want transactions moved from.
    3. Right click on any transaction.
    4. Click on Move Transaction(s).
    5. Click on Select All, select the Account to move transactions to, click on Move and then click on Done (see the yellow highlights).

Quicken will then go through a file validation process during which your file (not Quicken) will be closed.  This can take a few minutes...be patient and wait it out.

At the conclusion of this, Quicken will try to re-open your file.  If it fails to do that, simply click on File > Open File at the top left of the screen and select your Quicken data file.  When you first look at your account it will not appear that the transactions have been moved but be patient because Quicken will be in the process of moving them.

Since it sounds like you have a lot of transaction history, the process might take several minutes and at times it might look like Quicken has frozen but just wait it out.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• VicM
    VicM Member ✭✭
    Options
    Folks,
    All great suggestions. Will work on this since the initial purchase didn't come over. (The purchase funds used came from a security that changed names a few times.) But generally I'm liking what I'm seeing.
    Vic
This discussion has been closed.