Account Overview Vs Net Worth Summary Discrepancy

Hi - When I click on any account and select account summary with the default "all dates", the account shows a graph starting in 1915 and ending today, even though none of my accounts opened in 1915!

When I click the Net Summary Report button on that view, and keep "include all dates" it shows the correct summary from account opening to current date. See screenshot attached.

Can anyone explain this difference? Where does 1915 come from?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    What happens when you give BOTH graphs a starting date of August 2012 (when the 2nd graph defaults to)?
    And I'd suspect that the 1915 date was supposed to be 2015 ... but there's a typo. Do some searching in your accounts when they're sorted by date.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    NotACPA said:
    What happens when you give BOTH graphs a starting date of August 2012 (when the 2nd graph defaults to)?
    And I'd suspect that the 1915 date was supposed to be 2015 ... but there's a typo. Do some searching in your accounts when they're sorted by date.

If I manually constrain the dates, then both graphs are consistent but that's what I'd expect. The issue is the system thinks the earliest applicable date is 1915.

This isn't a typo in the account, I've checked. Also this happens on ALL accounts consistently, so seems to be a system-wide issue. Just to prove that point, I opened an asset account just now and posted an opening balance of $10,000. Account summary shows 1915 as the earliest date. Net worth shows correctly the account was just opened. See attached image.

• NotACPA
    SO, perhaps, you have a corrupted Q data file.  Have you tried Validating your file?
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    SO, perhaps, you have a corrupted Q data file.  Have you tried Validating your file?

Yes I did - there were a couple of minor issues but nothing to explain this, and the issue is there after validation.

[Fri Jun 05 10:28:54 2020]

File: "C:\Users\****\Documents\Quicken\Windows Quicken Backup"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category.  Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:Removed 3 qel records for payments not in register

[Fri Jun 05 10:29:48 2020]
    1 scheduled transactions corrected
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

• NotACPA
    You seem to have validated your backup file ... not your active file.
    SO WHERE did you see the issue after validation?  In the active file or that backup.
    Also, Q frequently has problems with file names, or paths, that have spaces or SOME special characters in them.  You might want to correct that before they arise.
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    SO WHERE did you see the issue after validation?  In the active file or that backup.
    Also, Q frequently has problems with file names, or paths, that have spaces or SOME special characters in them.  You might want to correct that before they arise.
    I created a 2nd document and named it "backup" while I am hunting down the issue, just in case I break anything, so it was my active file that was validated, not a quicken backup file.

Validating the original file (which is identical) has the same result

[Fri Jun 05 15:25:03 2020]

File: "C:\Users\****\Documents\Quicken\Windows Quicken"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category.  Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:Removed 3 qel records for payments not in register

[Fri Jun 05 10:29:48 2020]
    1 scheduled transactions corrected
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

I did take a look at the path like you suggested, and it seems pretty vanilla - there are no special characters.

C:\Users\hallm\Documents\Quicken\Quicken Windows.QDF

So one final roll of the dice would be to export everything and re-import all transactions into a new file. The issue with that is Quicken asks you to confirm the FX rate/value of all cross currency transfers, and I have 15 years of them between USD and GBP... that means loading quicken on another computer so I can type in the correct amount one by one and is several hours of work at least.

• NotACPA
    BUT, you've still got that space in your file name. 
    Q REALLY prefers file names in the old 8.3 format (up to 8 characters, followed by .QDF).
    And, what SPECIFIC Q product are you running?  And what BUILD of that Product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    BUT, you've still got that space in your file name. 
    Q REALLY prefers file names in the old 8.3 format (up to 8 characters, followed by .QDF).
    And, what SPECIFIC Q product are you running?  And what BUILD of that Product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

At the moment it's importing everything into my new file... looks like it will take a while. However I am on the very latest version (26.23).
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:

So I changed the name to a single word, no cigar but I also found out something else.

So that particular chart's date range on all accounts is determined by the start date of the earliest transaction on ANY account (not just the one you're looking at). I don't know why that is, I assume it's a feature but I'll contact support and see if they can verify.

I've checked all accounts manually, open, closed, hidden etc., and cannot see a transaction earlier than 2003, when I started this file. I also ran a Tax report for "all dates" which at the top says 1/15/1915 - 6/23/2020 but produces no transactions prior to 2003. I've also created a transaction report for all dates, which again says 1/15/1915 - 6/23/2020 and yet there are no transactions prior to 2003.

My guess is that at some point, such a transaction existed and maybe I caught it and deleted it, but somewhere in the system there's a reference to it which cannot be seen on the front end. So I am at a loss.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you haven't already, I suggest you attempt the Copy your file and Validate process described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  Note: The Copy... allows us to control the transaction date range.  

If you have investment accounts, you may have transactions that specify earlier dates.  For example, Added action transactions include an acquisition date.  You may be able to narrow the search by identifying the holding by specifying the earliest date in As of date field, including all securities and closed lots.
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    If you haven't already, I suggest you attempt the Copy your file and Validate process described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  Note: The Copy... allows us to control the transaction date range.  

If you have investment accounts, you may have transactions that specify earlier dates.  For example, Added action transactions include an acquisition date.  You may be able to narrow the search by identifying the holding by specifying the earliest date in As of date field, including all securities and closed lots.
    OK thanks for this input.

So I tried the file copy and it fails. After selecting the date range, it runs for a few seconds then stops and says "file NOT copied".

I don't see a preference in my securities account to show "as of date". In fact I can't see any way to add columns on securities accounts (in the other accounts it's in the top right dropdown, just not on securities accounts).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The failure of Copy... may indicate a severe file corruption.  If you're using a subscription release, you may coerce Quicken to step over the bad transactions: press the Ctrl and Shift keys when you select File > File Operations > Copy... and select Yes when prompted with Ignore error that prevent file copy?

The As of date field exists on the Holdings and Portfolio views:

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The failure of Copy... may indicate a severe file corruption.  If you're using a subscription release, you may coerce Quicken to step over the bad transactions: press the Ctrl and Shift keys when you select File > File Operations > Copy... and select Yes when prompted with Ignore error that prevent file copy?

So I tried the Ctr Shift trick and it still failed to copy. I then went back to a backup from end of May and tried that (which still has the 1915 issues) and it actually copied over and has fixed the summary view.

After syncing everything seems fine, so I guess this will remain a mystery. I've had the issue for months so don't really know when it started.
This discussion has been closed.