Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Manage Accounts and Transactions (Mac)

Undo QuickFill for Downloaded Transactions

scottzcscottzc Member ✭✭
Problem: A small number of transactions appear in my Quicken registers with the wrong payee, eg. 'Paycheck'. It's obvious to me from the amount that these transactions have nothing to do with my pay.

Question: How do I find out what the original downloaded Payee was that triggered QuickFill to change it to 'Paycheck'?

As a temporary workaround, I figured out how to find the QuickFill rules that caused downloaded transactions to trigger the unwanted change. This workaround doesn't figure out what the original Payee was, but at least it gave me a hint. Here's what I did:

1) Select Window > Payees & Rules to open the Payees & Rules window.
2) Click the 'Renaming Rules' tab to display the Renaming Rules list.
3) In top right corner of the Payees & Rules window, search for the 'renamed to' Payee (ie, the payee to which the transactions were wrongfully renamed, eg, "Paycheck").
4) Scan down the list of "Rename to" rules, and find the likely rule and condition that is mis-triggering the rename. In this case, it was If="Statement name contains", and Condition="Deposit"
5) Click that rule to select it. Click the delete (-) button to remove the rule.
6) Close the Renaming Rules window.

Ideally, this would give me the option to restore the original payee on all the transactions that had incorrectly had this rule applied to them. Alas, it does not. But, at least now I know that the transaction originally had the word 'Deposit' in the payee name.

Feature Request: When deleting a rule, give the user the option to revert all transactions that had this rule applied back to their original payee. The prompt should (at least) indicate the number of transactions that would be affected, before the user performs the action. Ideally, it should give the option to open a search window to display all the transactions that would be reverted, and allow the user to "opt out" the reversion on selected transactions.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the renaming you are seeing is happening upstream of your Quicken data file, and has little to do with your renaming rules.

1. You can select a downloaded transaction, and right (or control) click on it, and choose the option to Revert to Downloaded Payee

This should show you the payee before the Quicken servers attempted to cleanup.

2. If you don't want this upstream renaming to occur, you can turn it off in Preferences:Connected Serves. Uncheck the option to improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories:

• Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 6
    Hello @scottzc,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your concern, although I apologize that the feature you requested isn't currently offered.

I have changed and moved your post to an Idea thread for your feature request.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what features people would like to have available in the future.

-Quicken Anja
  • scottzcscottzc Member ✭✭
    Hi John, that worked! Even after the QuickFill did the renaming, "Revert to Downloaded Payee Name" returned the transaction to the original downloaded value. Which was (boringly enough), "Home Banking Deposit : From Share 01 REF# .......")
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6
    I'm a little late to the party, but FYI, you can also click menu View > Show Inspector to see the bank's payee name without actually reverting it.

Also, by the way, if the rename is not happening at the server, it could be caused by a Renaming Rule (not QuickFill, that's a different thing) which can be found at menu Window > Payees & Rules.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s