Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

One Step Update Takes Forever - Literally hangs the program for 10-20 minutes

I'm running the latest version of Quicken, and have a QBW file of about 90-100 megs. About 12 online accounts across 7 institutions.

Every time I do a "one step update", it takes about 40-50 seconds for the password vault dialogue box to pop up. Once I enter my vault password and the update begins, it literally takes 10-20 minutes for the transaction data to download. I'm on minute 21 and counting as I type this.

This has been happening for a year or more, and just seems to be getting worse. I just reformatted my computer, changed motherboards and upgraded my processor to a 10th gen i7 10700k, 32gb of ram, Win 10, fully patched, fresh install of quicken. Absolutely almost 0% chance it has anything to do with my machine.

I've validated my quicken file several times, removed old accounts, done everything I can think of to resolve the issue but it persists. Any help?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. You can also try to drag and drop or copy and paste the image. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @katzendreckt, Please clarify.
    You state that you have a QBW file ... but that's QuickBooks and NOT Quicken.
    As referenced by @UKR, a Quicken file has a suffix of QDF.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • katzendreckt
    katzendreckt Member ✭✭
    Yes, I apologize. Of course QDF, just getting my extensions mixed up.

Attached is an image of my about quicken with transaction volume and filesize.

32GB of ram, 11.5g in use (36%). CPU load at 3% while idle.

No backup software using my file. Filepath is c:\!Quicken\<filename>.QDF

Checked # of transactions in accounts, the largest account has 8400 transactions.
  • katzendreckt
    katzendreckt Member ✭✭
    And Quicken version :
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nothing obvious comes to mind. The data file is not overly large.
    Only if your C:-drive is kept 100% busy by other applications or Windows could there be a performance impact while Quicken is running and trying to read/write to the QDF file, Temp files or other configuration files.

Your Memorized Payee List appears to be a little overgrown. To trim the list and keep it in shape please do this:

In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at
    "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"
    and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year payees don't vanish.

Restart Quicken for the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee List.

Check the File Information box again to see the reduced count.

I also recommend you perform the File Validation steps, Step (2) of

Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875301/osu-taking-too-long/p1
  • katzendreckt
    katzendreckt Member ✭✭
    UKR - thanks. I checked and memorized payees is already set to 24 months. Restarted quicken and did file validation (again) - I did this a month or so ago as well.

Sherlock - I've spent hours googling threads and other people's OSU lag times, looking for any possible solution. I had come across that thread before - doesn't look like there was any resolution. Tried most everything that was suggested in the thread as well (firewall rules, patching, etc).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR - thanks. I checked and memorized payees is already set to 24 months. Restarted quicken and did file validation (again) - I did this a month or so ago as well.

Sherlock - I've spent hours googling threads and other people's OSU lag times, looking for any possible solution. I had come across that thread before - doesn't look like there was any resolution. Tried most everything that was suggested in the thread as well (firewall rules, patching, etc).
    My take away from the thread is there is an issue impacting Quicken OSU performance of Express Web Connect connections for some number of users.  If this is what you're experiencing, I suggest you switch away from the Express Web Connect connection method if you can at least until the issue is resolved.  In the meanwhile, you may find using Update Now performs better.  
  • If there are a lot of transactions in a single account, what would be the ideal way to cut them down? And would that help in the constant freezing/crashing of OSU?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    studyaid said:
    If there are a lot of transactions in a single account, what would be the ideal way to cut them down? And would that help in the constant freezing/crashing of OSU?

The easiest way to reduce the number of transactions in a register is to move them to another register.  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts

Reducing the number of transactions in a register should have no impact on constant freezing/crashing of OSU.
  • katzendreckt
    katzendreckt Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock Yeah, that's my takeaway as well - there seems to be some software issue. Again though, this has been happening at least in my case for over a year now. I tried 'update now' for individual accounts vs OSU, and the delays were less, but still pretty bad. Program hangs for like 40-70 seconds on a single account update.

more of a programming thing, but I wonder if they could multithread the OSU feature or something and have it run in the background. I mean it's one thing if the updates take 5-25 minutes, but it's another when it locks up the whole program and basically you can't use the app or your computer during the process. I force minimize and alt-tab now whenever I kick off an update, and just revisit Quicken in an hour or two, but that seems fairly ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.