Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

A bunch of transactions just disappeared

I used the Chase Sapphire “Pay Yourself Back” feature on May 31, which generated a lot of refund transactions. When I synced with the bank, they were inserted as a lot of similar small transactions all dated May 31. A few days ago, I realized that there were a few transactions for the same amount missing, so I put them in manually. Today I found that tons of transactions are just gone from the register.

I don’t know if Quicken is trying to be intelligent here and removing duplicate transactions or whatever, but this is unacceptable. If I put a transaction into a register it should STAY PUT and Quicken should not be deleting it behind my back.

How do I make Quicken not delete my transactions?

Comments

• Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    You can see that there are only 5 transactions left. Four of them are the ones that were dropped from the initial FI sync and that I manually put in, so there are 12 synced transactions that just disappeared with no trace.
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tracking my old statements, I see a *reconciled* transaction that is missing, the $20.91 charge.

The missing transactions are all on my Sapphire card, and are all related to credits to the account.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked to see if your register is filtered in some way, to exclude some transactions and/or sorted properly by Date?
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    There are no filters. This is sorted by date.

The transactions are GONE.

LITERALLY I leave Quicken one day, come back the next, my balance is wrong, and transactions are missing.
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    Also, this keeps happening. See my previous post, https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874419/ , which was never solved.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Hi, Avi Dee

Quicken will (i.e. should) not delete transactions that are either manually entered or downloaded. Once they are in the register, they should remain.

While anything is possible, I don't suspect database corruption. That SQLite database is rather reliable, but when it does have problems, it is usually pretty drastic. 

What I suspect more is problems related to MobileSync and or Quicken Connected accounts. That is, your transactions are there, and when a sync occurs, the transactions get errantly removed.

After you restore a known backup (if you have one) or otherwise get your data to your liking, I would immediately (BEFORE SYNCING/TRANX updating) go to Preferences:Connected Services and follow the link to reset your Cloud data. This will purge your cloud file/upload a fresh copy of your desktop's file to the Cloud.

Moreover, if you are working with more than one file, and any of those files are a copy of your existing file, this can cause sync issues such as this. Even though the files appear to have different names, they have the same internal ID and can cause crosstalk between files. I don't know if this is the case, but it is know to be problematic. It can cause problems with transactions that never existed in a file suddenly appearing, or transactions that were there vanishing because another file synced to that file ID.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your problem, but I suspect it is an area you need to investigate as the cause. Good luck.
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    > @John_in_NC said:
    > After you restore a known backup (if you have one) or otherwise get your data to your liking, I would immediately (BEFORE SYNCING/TRANX updating) go to Preferences:Connected Services and follow the link to reset your Cloud data. This will purge your cloud file/upload a fresh copy of your desktop's file to the Cloud.

OK. I re-added the missing reconciled transaction, and I re-added a bulk transaction that was the sum of the 12 missing transactions. My Quicken balance now matches my FI’s balance on the website. I did a reset of the cloud data.

> Moreover, if you are working with more than one file, and any of those files are a copy of your existing file

This is honestly kinda funny to me. The *only* reason I’ve ever had more than one file was when I was restoring backups to get screenshots to complain about missing transactions. I otherwise never have more than one file (why would you?). My transactions disappeared in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874419/ and did a restore of an old file to verify and complain. I then immediately deleted the second active file. I only had one file, and then a bunch of transactions disappeared for this post, so I restored old backups, and immediately deleted them once I had screenshots. I don’t think I ever synced while any of those files were open, but the irony is rather thick.

> I know this isn't a direct answer to your problem, but I suspect it is an area you need to investigate as the cause. Good luck.

What cause, though? I’ve never kept copies of my files. The *only* transactions that disappear are those related to my Chase card, and *only* transactions that relate to rebates.

I’ve reset my cloud and re-added the missing transactions and I hope that this doesn’t happen again, but I’m left with no answers as to what could have caused this.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Avi Dee  Many Quicken users have more than one file; perhaps for another family member, or because they keep the books for a small business or non-profit.

But some people do it to experiment with different data in their Quicken file, and if you duplicate your data file and use two files with different data that are syncing to one Quicken cloud account, then things can get messed up.

You say you have no answers about what could have caused this, but that's what John was pointing you to: syncing problems between desktop and Cloud data. Do you use the mobile app or web interface? If not, you might try touring off Sync entirely (Preferences > Mobile & Web). If you do use these cloud-based services, that's likely to be the source of your problems. There are issues with how well this functionality works, and various problems which pop up for some users from time to time. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This doesn't apply to you, but people keep copies of multiple files for many reasons. They might get one setup for their liking, and wish to copy it to track a family member. Or some beta testers might wish to work with a copy of their existing file both in production release and beta. Two files with different names, but syncing to the same data source. Ouch.

Or, it could be as simple as the Cloud Data became corrupted. It is a very complex backend trying to get so many different systems to work together.

As for you, I do think you might have figured it out: if you open your file, I believe it syncs to mobile immediately upon launch in order to capture any transactions you might have entered on your mobile device. (It has been a while since I tested mobile, but I remember the sync.) This (inadvertent) sync of the older file might have caused issues. I don't know, as I wasn't there, but as you say, the irony is thick.
  • Avi Dee
    Avi Dee Member ✭✭
    I never use Quicken mobile or web, so I’m happy to turn that off.

I’m less convinced about the backup file, as the only reason I opened my backup file was because my main file was corrupted. I will continue to hope that Quicken decides to have mercy on me and stop eating my transactions.
This discussion has been closed.