Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Blank/empty transactions since 2020 forced upgrade on SOME files

HAve been dealing with a nightmare of a problem for the last several months. We have about 150 client files we use; some with downloading etc but those we usually do from the bank websites (download qfx, click to open in QN). We started having a problem with a few of the files seemingly totally randomly that since sometime around 4/4 we have an issue where the file will open with 10-20 blank/empty rows. There is nothin in these rows-totally empty. If you click into one, then click out, you're asked if you want to save a blank transaction.

In an attempt to fix I've split out some of the files hoping maybe size was a culprit (year end copied). Validated. Super Validated. Stopped downloading. Just about anything you can think of.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Qn support today to no avail. One of them suggested I get a computer expert to help:

=======

MeJun 10, 2020, 1:28pm
whay are these transactions getting currupted?

AgentJun 10, 2020, 1:30pm
if the file is damaged the information on it will get it as well

if you have tried some troubleshooting steps and you have the same issue, it could be something with the computer and that has to be checked with a computer technician

MeJun 10, 2020, 1:31pm
but if i ran a file repair, and re entered the missing work. why are the same transactions missing again

AgentJun 10, 2020, 1:31pm
the way to test it is to add it on a new file and you mentioned you cannot do it because of the token

MeJun 10, 2020, 1:31pm
aH! a computer technician

Well I did do it because it’s been happening over and over again for a couple of months now

when I did have the token

so what should this “computer technician” look for?

gremlins?

or is it possible the sync that I want turned off is somehow breaking things?

AgentJun 10, 2020, 1:33pm
the steps that we have given fix the problem if you try an try again and you still have the same issues

this has to be check with an expert on your computer

==========

Radical!

Anyway, another tech ended up calling and I screen-shared. I demonstrated that I have turned off Sync every possible place I can but that I still see sync activity happening (e.g. opening files, I sometimes see a dialogue saying "Quicken is syncing with Quicken cloud" or somesuch. I absolutely do NOT want any data on the cloud, but despite turning off any visible option, it remains. I also sometimes am able to get to Preferences > Quicken ID > see associated accounts tied to this Quicken ID login (which I once spent an afternoon deleting all of them only to find a week later they had all come back despite mobile/sync ALWAYS being deselected...) even though sync is and always has been off. Only conclusion here is that Intuit is still syncing Qn data even if their customers don't want them to. Remember: Multi-billion dollar company always knows whats best for you and your most personal data!

Anyway, with the tech on the phon, I validated validated (super) the file. I added a couple manual transactions. I found an old QFX file and imported that and accepted the transactions. I then closed the file, opened a totally different file, then back to this file...opened it and boom! Same 20-30 empty rows of transactions.

The second tech was slightly more helpful in that he suggested that I start a new file from scratch. Forget that this client has been with us since 2009 and whatever. I asked if maybe it would make sense to see if maybe an engineer would want to take a look at a copy of the file to see what as going wrong? He said they don't do stuff like that--cool. I believe the syncing has to be the culprit somehow. The data up there is corrupt (which they also insist they can't delete), and when we are opening these validated files, the sync'd versions are corrupting things. But they have no answer/option to help.

As an aside: I've made sure all installs are latest versions 26.23 27.1.26.23 Windows 10 Pros. I've also ran the mondo upgrades on all machines both before and after having has these issues.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience with issues like this?

Thanks for any pointers

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Your initial premise makes no sense.  In Q, one upgrades the PROGRAM .... not the data files.
    R26.23 is the latest version of QWin.
    And, who (what URL, what phone) were you talking to?  Because there IS NO "token" involved with Q Win.
    I hope that you didn't pay any money for that so-called support ... because they look like a scam to me.  AND, real Q Support for current products is FREE.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken maintains an account for every Quicken ID.  Within the Quicken ID account, Quicken maintains a cloud accounts (aka datasets) for every Quicken file we create.  When we open a Quicken file, Quicken attempts to synchronize state.   When Sync is off or no accounts have been selected to be synchronized, the data in account registers are not synchronized.  Other state is synchronized.  

Regarding the blank transactions, if you haven't already, you might try attempting to coerce Quicken into redrawing the register.  For example, press Ctrl + 2 twice or click on the Date column header twice. You might also try a Windows reboot or a clean uninstall, install and update: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  If the issue persists and is limited to specific Quicken files, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Your initial premise makes no sense.  In Q, one upgrades the PROGRAM .... not the data files.R26.23 is the latest version of QWin.And, who (what URL, what phone) were you talking to?  Because there IS NO "token" involved with Q Win.I hope that you didn't pay any money for that so-called support ... because they look like a scam to me.  AND, real Q Support for current products is FREE.https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Well, after the Program updates, the FILES update....that's what those "updating data file" modals are talking about. Typically, they don't seem to happen save for major release updates, but they most certainly happen...

The token was referencing not being able to run another bank download because it was initially done on a different machine I was working on and as such did not have the cookies to authenticate to the bank which would mean getting an OTP token sent which I could not.

Not sure what made you bring up support being free or not, but I wasn't asked to pay any money for these interactions (though to be fair I have been paying intuit thousands of dollars for their software over the last 10+ years...).

Thanks for the help anyway...
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    > @Sherlock said:
    > Quicken maintains an account for every Quicken ID.  Within the Quicken ID account, Quicken maintains cloud accounts (aka datasets) for every Quicken file we create.  When we open a Quicken file, Quicken attempts to synchronize state.   When Sync is off or no accounts have been selected to be synchronized, the data in account registers are not synchronized.  Other state is synchronized.  
    >
    > Regarding the blank transactions, if you haven't already, you might try attempting to coerce Quicken into redrawing the register.  For example, press Ctrl + 2 twice or click on the Date column header twice. You might also try a Windows reboot or a clean uninstall, install and update: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken  If the issue persists and is limited to specific Quicken files, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

I have uninstalled and re-installed multiple times. I have created year-end copies. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, ran mondo-update, validated, super-validated and repaired and rebooted. None of these have fixed the issue as was proven by the call with support where they witnessed the issue in action and basically told me "tough luck".

I loaded up one of the files with missing rows, and tried the CTRL+2 twice and it just locked up QN. Constant spinner, no updated register and still blank checks. I was very excited to see that spinner at first thinking maybe it was just a display issue, but unfortunately it seems something deeper.

I wish there was a way to disconnect from the sync service completely. I would block it at the firewall, but then I'm sure the Registration wouldn't work and we wouldn't be able to use QN at all (we're moving off QN soon anyway TGF), as I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

We've also run into the "out of space" issue with syncing. We have about 160 clients we do work for and unfortunately have to use quicken...These are all under the same Intuit ID so we've had to work around that issue as well... Super frustrating per usual in the world of QN.
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I also don't understand how/why running the validate utility (supervalidate too), can repeatedly turn up
    "...
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Validating your data."

when run consecutively. Shouldn't it be clear after running the validation?

I run validate and repair, get

"
    [snip ~1000 lines]
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Damaged data block.
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired B of Amer Disb - 7569 account. No action required.
    Quicken repaired Credit Card at Chase account. No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Jun 15 16:17:47 2020]
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.
    "

then immediately run it again, and get the same amount of damaged data block lines in the report. Is it not actually repairing for some reason?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Validate and Repair is not able to detect and correct all corruption.  The Copy performed prior Validate and Repair helps with some of the issues.  If the Copy fails, pressing Ctrl + Shift and selecting File > File Operations > Copy... may enable Quicken to step over the damaged transactions.
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    OK thanks. So "Validate and repair" doesn't necessarily mean "repair"...it's just kinda like "Validate and maybe, maybe not...good luck repair"? Good to know.

Any suggestions on starting a new file without losing a ton of data or not having to manually re-enter a ton of data? I'm pretty much convinced this file will never work again properly and I've already spent entirely too much time on it. (And I still have another 4 files this is happening to to go! yay!).

Many thanks for any suggestions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    adfar said:
    OK thanks. So "Validate and repair" doesn't necessarily mean "repair"...it's just kinda like "Validate and maybe, maybe not...good luck repair"? Good to know.

Any suggestions on starting a new file without losing a ton of data or not having to manually re-enter a ton of data? I'm pretty much convinced this file will never work again properly and I've already spent entirely too much time on it. (And I still have another 4 files this is happening to to go! yay!).

Many thanks for any suggestions.
    The most reliable way undo any change to a Quicken file is to restore a backup saved prior to the change.

If you're creating a new Quicken file, you may want to consider attempting to export and import the available data  from the earlier file using QXF and/or QIF. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    AS mentioned, the QIF export/import leaves out a ton of data. Since the problem is unable to be isolated, any backup is a crapshoot; I've restored tens of this file from various times/backup and they all become corrupt eventually which is why I'm asking about starting from a clean slate.

I made a little more progress on the cloud problem; I've found that if I log in to a dummy file with cloud sync turned on, I can reliably get to the 'cloud accounts managed by this user id' page where I can delete accounts. That said, there still seems to be a rogue machine on the network that despite having sync turned off on all files is still syncing these files up to the cloud.

I tried reinstalling on a suspect computer using UIClean and msiuninstaller but can't for the life of me get to the installation screen where it asks you to select 'mobile' or not.

What a nightmare this has all turned out to be...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    adfar said:
    AS mentioned, the QIF export/import leaves out a ton of data. Since the problem is unable to be isolated, any backup is a crapshoot; I've restored tens of this file from various times/backup and they all become corrupt eventually which is why I'm asking about starting from a clean slate.

I made a little more progress on the cloud problem; I've found that if I log in to a dummy file with cloud sync turned on, I can reliably get to the 'cloud accounts managed by this user id' page where I can delete accounts. That said, there still seems to be a rogue machine on the network that despite having sync turned off on all files is still syncing these files up to the cloud.

I tried reinstalling on a suspect computer using UIClean and msiuninstaller but can't for the life of me get to the installation screen where it asks you to select 'mobile' or not.

What a nightmare this has all turned out to be...
    AS mentioned where?

Why do they all become corrupt eventually?  Is there something about the way the files are being maintained that increases the risk that they're going to become corrupt?

What cloud problem?  As I explained earlier, Quicken maintains a cloud accounts (aka datasets) for every Quicken file we create.  When we open a Quicken file, Quicken attempts to synchronize state.   When Sync is off or no accounts have been selected to be synchronized, the data in account registers are not synchronized.  Other state is synchronized.  

You should be offered the choice to use Use Mobile and Web when you create a new Quicken file not during installation.
  • adfar
    adfar Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > AS mentioned where?
    >
    > Why do they all become corrupt eventually?  Is there something about the way the files are being maintained that increases the risk that they're going to become corrupt?
    >
    > What cloud problem?  As I explained earlier, Quicken maintains a cloud accounts (aka datasets) for every Quicken file we create.  When we open a Quicken file, Quicken attempts to synchronize state.   When Sync is off or no accounts have been selected to be synchronized, the data in account registers are not synchronized.  Other state is synchronized.  
    >
    > You should be offered the choice to use Use Mobile and Web when you create a new Quicken file not during installation.

Sorry, I must have mentioned it in another thread. It was omitting check descriptions/memos somehow/for some reason.

The cloud problem of the Quicken syncing with the Cloud whether or not you have mobile/sync enabled.

The choice to use mobile/web is there when you install/upgrade if there was a quicken file open when the install/upgrade kicked off...
This discussion has been closed.