Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I transfer my Quicken 2001 backup files to Quicken 2019

I just purchase Quicken Starter 2019 and it will not accept my backup files for Quicken 2001. It suggested that I download Quicken 2004 but Windows 10 will not accept Quicken 2001. I have to have these files. I installed Quicken 2001 on the Windows 10 update from Windows 7 when it came out and everything worked.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

To install Quicken 2004 on Windows 10 to convert the Quicken 2001 formatted files to Quicken 2004 format, I suggest you download the QWO4DLX.exe file and check Run this program in compatibility mode on the Compatibility tab of the file's Properties window before you open the file to install Quicken 2004: open File Explorer, navigate to the folder that contains QWO4DLX.exe, right-click on QWO4DLX.exe, and select Properties
  • eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    That doesn't work! It says not compatible with Quicken 10
  • eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    This is a lot of work just because Windows 10 doesn't accept Quicken 2001
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    eagle777 said:
    That doesn't work! It says not compatible with Quicken 10

What doesn't work????  I have installed QW2004 successfully many times on Win10.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    It's not compatible with Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Once again,  a statement without enough information. 
    Play your twenty questions game with someone else, I give up.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    Ok I just purchase Quicken Starter 2019 and it will not accept my backup files for Quicken 2001. It suggested that I download Quicken 2004 which will accept those files and Convert them but Quicken 4 is not compatible with Windows 10. Quicken 10 states that it will not work on Windows 10. So I have three banking accounts with thousand of data that will not work on the new Windows 10
  • eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    Sorry, It says that Quicken 2004 is not compatible with Windows 10. When Windows 10 started, I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the Quicken 2001 worked fine. My Windows 10 program crashed and I had to install the New version of Windows 10 and now I can't install Quicken 2001
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    eagle777 said:
    This is a lot of work just because Windows 10 doesn't accept Quicken 2001
    Hi @eagle777 ,

This is a lot of work, because nowadays, the Internet is all about Security!

You could attempt to install a Virtual Machine inside of Windows 10, then load Windows 7 operating system in that Machine, then install Quicken 2001, first, Quicken 2004 Deluxe and then Quicken 2013 Deluxe. to convert the files.

However, I never installed a Virtual Machine in Windows 10, so I have no procedure, to do so.

I don't need Virtual Machines, as my Hard Drives are partitioned. I have many partitions.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @eagle777, have you tried to install Quicken 2004 on Windows 10? I have done it in the past and it installed and ran with no problem.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    By the way you need to convert through 2004 and then 2013 to get up to the current versions.  Even if you do I'm not sure the Started Edition will open your previous data.  You might need to get Deluxe.

If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

And if you install an older version you will have to update it.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html 

• eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    The latest version of Windows 10 Will Not Accept Quicken 2004 or Quicken 2001 and they say it in Bold Letters on Quicken 2004
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a Quicken CYA. Again, have you tried to install Quicken 2004 on Windows 10?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    SHOW US THAT MESSAGE!  Take a snapshot of it and insert the snapshot into your reply.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you borrow someone's Windows 8 computer and get permission to install Q 2004 and 2013 on it? That would allow you to perform the file conversion, first to 2004, then to 2013. After that's done, transfer a backup of the converted 2013 - format data file to your new computer and Q Subscription.
  • thecreator
    eagle777 said:
    The latest version of Windows 10 Will Not Accept Quicken 2004 or Quicken 2001 and they say it in Bold Letters on Quicken 2004
    Hi @eagle777 ,

The latest version of Windows. What is the Build number? Ex: Build 18362.53

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• eagle777
    eagle777 Member ✭✭
    To all who tried to help me, this my help you in the future.

I had Quicken 2001 installed on my computer along with Windows 10 when it first came out. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My Windows 10 crashed and the technicians could not revive it so they had to install the newest version of Windows 10, which will not accept Windows 2004 so I could convert my files.

I do have another computer with the earlier version of Windows 10 and was able to go through the process of converting my files and then I transferred them over to the new Windows 10.

This resulted in my having to install the new Microsoft Word and the new Quicken 2019 and the new Microsoft Front Page.

I don't like any of them because they are so different and harder to set up, especially, Microsoft Word.

Now I have to figure out how I can set up my files like I used to.

Thanks for your effort to help me

Dave
  • thecreator

Hi Dave, Sorry Charlie :lol: but you and the rest forgot something  important. The new version of Quicken Subscription, now Quicken 2020, (Check About Quicken) that you have installed, does not require the old version of the Dot Net Frameworks to be installed. The older versions of Quicken 2001, 2004 and 2013 Deluxe, do require the old versions of Dot Net Frameworks, to be installed.

Compatibility settings are not used or needed.

So Quicken 2001, 2004, and 2013 do install in Windows 10, including the Insider Builds.

This discussion has been closed.