Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Edward Jones

Haven't been able to update my Edward Jones account for weeks. You also cannot add a new account. I submitted a ticket approx 10 days ago and was told it should be resolved within 24-48 hours, twice. I don't see it listed in Known Issues. The link it references, "https://www.edwardjones.com/accountlink" is a bad link and does not work. How does this issue get escalated so it gets resolved? I've seen posts about.. "if you Contact Edward Jones they will fix it for you" etc, etc, and "Edward Jones knows about this and it should be fixed in a few days". Nothing is being done about this. Why?

Best Answers

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    EJ changed their security such that they are tracking IP addresses.
    You need to login to the EJ website using the same computer that you will be using Quicken on for the EJ software to know/remember your computer's IP address.  Once that is done, your EJ downloads to Quicken should work again.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭
    I updated the FI list as was suggested and was able to update my existing account. Doing this did not fix the issue regarding adding a new account. (I have two accounts each with their own separate logins.) I have been logging into the EJ website every day, for both accounts for several weeks, and again, the URL shown when adding a new account still shows a link that does not work. So, if the URL for EJ was fixed, it is not fixed for me. The phone number listed does work, but they do not open until 7am Central. I will call when they open to see if I can set up my new account.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    jtcrawf55 said:
    I updated the FI list as was suggested and was able to update my existing account. Doing this did not fix the issue regarding adding a new account. (I have two accounts each with their own separate logins.) I have been logging into the EJ website every day, for both accounts for several weeks, and again, the URL shown when adding a new account still shows a link that does not work. So, if the URL for EJ was fixed, it is not fixed for me.
    I'm glad to hear you were able to update your existing account after updating the FI List.  But Quicken cannot have two different URLs for the same type of account at the same FI.  I tried setting up new brokerage and IRA accounts with EJ and the URL that is shown for both is https://www.edwardjones.com/en_US/index.html which took me directly the EJ website.  Which URL for the new account set up are you seeing?
    Is the 2nd account a different type of account from your existing account?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭
    I called EJ and splasher was correct. EJ turned some kind of "switch" on and I was able to set up my new account without issue. However, just to clarify, I have two separate login accounts with EJ (which you can do). The first account I set up successfully in Quicken in early March (a trust account for my brother) and I did not have to call EJ to set it up. I opened a new personal account with EJ about 2 weeks ago, again, with a separate login but could not set up this new account as Quicken said I did not have an account with that username. This was confusing. Why could I set up an account 2-3 months ago, but not now? But, at about the same time I also noticed the account I had first set up was not updating at all. So, there's the history. As a general comment, I find that Quicken is not a particularly elegant solution. You should not have these kinds of issues. It should just work. End users should not be concerned whether or not a connection is Direct Connect or any other type of connection and have to resort to Community Super Users to get answers as to why things don't work. I heard years ago that Quicken needed to do a complete code rewrite, from the ground up. Whether or not that happened, I don't know. I have dabbled in code and understood the concern. I appreciate the help from you guys, as this got resolved. Thank you!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    jtcrawf55 said:
    …  You should not have these kinds of issues. It should just work.  …
    Quicken did not establish the rule that requires EJ to turn on some "switch", that is EJ's decision and Quicken has no control over it.  It is an EJ security requirement, complain to them.
    Why it was not required for the first account could have been that the person you were dealing with when that account was created at EJ took care of that step and that did not happen with the second.
    I set my EJ accounts up in Quicken over ten years ago and have had very little issues with them until their recent security change that is filtering access based on IP address and though lots of users blamed Quicken, it was EJ's fault and they acknowledged it as so.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for updating. However, according to Boatnmaniac in order to fix the issue with my first account not updating I had to update my FI list. I would not have known how to do that without going onto the community and to me was a Quicken issue since it was working in the first place. I am not knit-picking. I am only stating that Quicken should streamline how things work so that end users don't have to resort to "Hold down the LEFT Ctrl+Shift while clicking on "Contact Info" to resort to getting something fixed. Whether or not this is considered complaining is not the issue. I am only bringing it to the core of the end-user experience. Again, thank you for all your help. No offense intended.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2020
    jtcrawf55 said:
    End users should not be concerned whether or not a connection is Direct Connect or any other type of connection...
    I'm really glad to hear everything is working for you now.
    Just a FYI regarding connection methods:  Quicken offers FIs and users up to 3 different online services connection methods, presenting both FIs and users with different functionalities, costs and security/risk tolerance options.  Because of this some FIs will offer only one of these methods while others will offer 2 or all 3.  And when multiple options are provided by the FI, the user then needs to decide which one best suits their need and want.  So, it's all a matter of choices and I think it would be very presumptuous of Quicken to make those decisions for both the FI and the user, particularly when there is cost involved (some FIs do charge a monthly fee to users who want Direct Connect).
    Another FYI regarding the FI List:  Quicken will periodically download updated FI Lists during OSU.  It is not common that we need to manually download the updated FI List but on rare occasion it is necessary, especially if the FI information in the list (i.e., URL or the FI name) was changed or added and we don't want to wait until Quicken automatically downloads the updated FI List.

BTW, many of we Super Users are retired so we have too much time on our hands as it is.  :smile:  Our participation in Community is a way for us to fill in that time with something that is productive and hopefully helpful to others.
  • jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Boatnmaniac for your kind reply. I completely understand. I guess my concern is related to two areas.

One, I applaud EJ for updating its security policy/features in order to access their accounts. I don't think they can be blamed for doing so. Everyone wants as much security as possible. I would think that since online fraud, especially mobile fraud, from what I have read in the past week, seems to be on the rise, and given the fact that there are thousands of companies that Quicken deals with, that Quicken has its hands full in dealing with day to day security updates. If the FI lists are updated periodically, and there are FI updates to security protocols (I would think every day) I would suggest that the FI lists be updated every time you do an OSU. Would this have solved the problem of my first EJ account not updating? Or is updating the FI list a monumental task that would slow things down?

Two, I have been using Quicken for almost 30 years and have been a loyal customer. I am a bit disappointed that I have not heard a peep regarding the ticket I opened 11 days ago on this EJ issue. If it was as simple as calling EJ to get it fixed why wasn't a reply made to do that. In reading through the comments on this issue I should have just called EJ, to begin with, and this conversation wouldn't be happening. However, as I have stated, I still don't see why a phone call from me is needed in the first place. I would think most users don't have the time or inclination, as I did, to have engaged the community to have figured this out.

FYI, I have recently retired myself but have not gotten to the point where I have too much time on my hands. I am sure I will get there.

With much Sincerity...
  • Boatnmaniac
    @jtcrawf55 - Congratulations on retirement!  My 1st 3-4 yrs I was kept quiet busy with travel, fishing, boating, golf and other fun activities but after awhile, as crazy as it sounds, they started to get a bit old.  Then my wife began to make these huge honey-do lists and I decided I'd better get involved doing something else I liked or she'd start to develop expectations of me that I know would not be in my best interest.  :smiley: 
    I agree that Quicken Support could sometimes improve upon their responsiveness to submitted tickets.  I simply don't know how well they are staffed and/or if this Covid-19 thing has impacted (and by how much) their ability to respond.  All we can do is to continue to voice our concerns regarding this and hope that Quicken has or puts in place a quality improvement plan to address this.
    I don't know how often Quicken downloads the updated FI List because they happen in the background but I can only think of 3 times since 2009 (when I converted from MS Money to Quicken) when I needed to manually update it.  So I'm guessing they download it pretty frequently.  Still, I agree that if it not done with every OSU it probably should be.
    BTW, I think perhaps you are a little too easy on EJ.  Yes, their responsiveness after the fact is commendable but they should have been proactive by sending out messaging to all their customers or at least posted something on their website before they implemented the new security protocol.  Heck, they should have been able to put in place an on-line process whereby customers could take care of it themselves and then tell them what they needed to do.  That's what several of my FIs have done over the years.
    Take care and enjoy your retirement!
This discussion has been closed.