Loan Reminder Won't Save

When either editing or creating a new loan account in Quicken 2017 Deluxe, I'm not able to successfully create a loan reminder that shows up in the "Bills".

When I go through the loan wizard, creating a manual loan account, I get to the "Your Loan Reminder Window" and click "Next", which takes me to the "Loan Payment Reminder" Window. After I enter my reminder details (or just leave it defaulted) and click "Done" it should finish the loan and ask me about an asset; instead it just flashes for a few seconds and then takes me back to the "Your Loan Reminder Window" in an endless loop until I cancel or close the window, neither of which saves the loan reminder.

Is this a known issue? It doesn't seem to matter whether this is a new loan or existing loan, I originally tried this because I had to delete and (try to) recreate a loan reminder for an existing loan, when I was getting this problem I tried to just create a new loan and got the same glitch.

Comments

• Second Image I receive
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2020
    This is my version
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    1st, have you set up this loan for Download?  If so, that might be why your not able to create the loan reminder.
    2nd, EDIT that 3rd graphic ... to blot out your email address.  This is a public forum and you don't want it harvested by scammers.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2020
    > @NotACPA said:
    > 1st, have you set up this loan for Download?  If so, that might be why your not able to create the loan reminder.2nd, EDIT that 3rd graphic ... to blot out your email address.  This is a public forum and you don't want it harvested by scammers.

Thank you for the 2nd, I have edited that screen shot to remove my email.

1st, my banking institution, USAA, has recently moved from Express Web to Direct Connect to download transactions. I worked with an excellent representative from Quicken who was able to assist me to modify my checking and credit card accounts so they will download.

When we tried to edit my loan account which was on Quicken, it does not give the option to change that to Direct Connect. I deleted that account and just wanted to add a new loan account that I could manage myself.

The system will not allow me to proceed past the Loan Reminder screen, it will allow me to change the account that the funds will be drawn from but will not proceed beyond that point.
  • NotACPA
    OK a bit more info is needed here.  When you do TOOLS, Account List ... what does it say in the "Transactions Download" column across from your USAA account(s).
    Because, I suspect, that it still says "Express Web Connect".
    There's nothing in the Loan Reminder that has anything to do with download method, because that's not where the download method is set.  It's set in the individual account.
  • NotACPA
    Also, what type of loan is this?  Because for anything other than HELOC or LOC type loans, it's ill-advised to set them up for download.
    Doing so will remove ALL ABILITY that you'd otherwise have to manage the loan.  The loan won't even have an account register that you can view and the ONLY thing that can post to a downloadable loan is the downloaded PRINCIPAL ONLY payment.  Not the interest component and not any fees or escrow payments.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    EDIT to include a few more details and a screenshot of the loan account add screen.

Here is a few things that might help clarify the situation.
    1) Downloaded of transactions into a loan account can only be done using Express Web Connect.  So you can't change from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect.
    2) A loan account setup for downloading can be changed to a manual entry account on the Online Services tab, and that is probably what you wanted to do instead of deleting the account because it wouldn't throw away the history of the loan (and probably mess up the transfers from your checking account to pay for the loan).  Note since I have never had a loan account that downloads, I have no idea what would happen when you try to get it "hooked up" with the Loan Wizard/Reminder.  But I'm guessing that in the background these were already created and might be there where you can just edit them if they aren't correct.  You might want to restore from a backup to test this flow.  Hopefully you have a backup between when your other accounts got fixed and starting on this one.
    3) If you go to create a new loan account you need to select "manual loan account" instead of typing in the loan provider name (USAA is still on that list, but since they have dropped Express Web Connect it isn't going to work).

If you do create a manual entry loan account you should see this screen first, where you can put in the details of the loan.

Then the loan details.

Then comes the reminder.
    And finally the where you can set the account where the funds will come from.

And last the screen to connect the loan to an asset.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • > @NotACPA said:
    > OK a bit more info is needed here.  When you do TOOLS, Account List ... what does it say in the "Transactions Download" column across from your USAA account(s).Because, I suspect, that it still says "Express Web Connect".There's nothing in the Loan Reminder that has anything to do with download method, because that's not where the download method is set.  It's set in the individual account.

Correct, it still showed as Express Web Connect. I have since deleted that account due to the call I had with a Quicken representative. As far as I know, there is no way to change that to Direct Connect.

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > EDIT to include a few more details and a screenshot of the loan account add screen.
    >
    > Here is a few things that might help clarify the situation.
    > 1) Downloaded of transactions into a loan account can only be done using Express Web Connect.  So you can't change from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect.
    > 2) A loan account setup for downloading can be changed to a manual entry account on the Online Services tab, and that is probably what you wanted to do instead of deleting the account because it wouldn't throw away the history of the loan (and probably mess up the transfers from your checking account to pay for the loan).  Note since I have never had a loan account that downloads, I have no idea what would happen when you try to get it "hooked up" with the Loan Wizard/Reminder.  But I'm guessing that in the background these were already created and might be there where you can just edit them if they aren't correct.  You might want to restore from a backup to test this flow.  Hopefully you have a backup between when your other accounts got fixed and starting on this one.
    > 3) If you go to create a new loan account you need to select "manual loan account" instead of typing in the loan provider name (USAA is still on that list, but since they have dropped Express Web Connect it isn't going to work).
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    > If you do create a manual entry loan account you should see this screen first, where you can put in the details of the loan.
    >
    > Then the loan details.
    > (Image)
    >
    > Then comes the reminder.
    > And finally the where you can set the account where the funds will come from.
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > And last the screen to connect the loan to an asset.

Here is the issue I'm having. When I get to the Loan Reminder page when trying to set up a new account, it will not continue to the next screen shot you shared, it will go back to the Your Loan Reminder page and will not continue past that.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well do you have a backup just before you deleted the loan account (and after the other accounts were fixed)?

If so I have two thoughts one is that even though USAA dropped Express Web Connect for the other accounts maybe they keep it for loans (very slim chance), do you know that this account really fails?

You might be able to keep using as you did before.

The other thought is what I suggested before, you should be able to change it to a manual account, did you try this?

If the above doesn't apply then creating a new loan account is the right thing to do, and it is very strange that this isn't working for you because at this point it should have nothing to do with USAA.

What kind of loan is this?
    Even though it shouldn't matter have you tried giving the loan account name a different name?

Can you include a screenshot of the reminder dialog in your comment?
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. you might not have the button to include a screenshot.  If that is the case try dragging and dropping the file on the comment box.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.