Home Before you Buy

Is it easy to renew & downgrade an expired subscription?

ProfileXProfileX Member ✭✭
edited June 16 in Before you Buy
I'm wondering if there is any time limit to renewing an expired subscription or downgrading from Premier to a lower tier. I like the idea of Quicken & have been using it for many years, but the number of bugs and new frustrations introduced with updates are sucking my will to live. I let my subscription expire, and I've been trying to use it without downloads but the nagging about renewing my subscription is killing me, simple actions will sometimes kick off 4 or 5 renew popups in a row. I've been trying out [removed - no soliciting], it seems to work fine in Win10. BTW I'm not being cheap, I'm blessed & could easily afford their prices, in fact I would gladly pay more if it just worked and didn't crash or frustrate me.

If I should come back to Quicken, I doubt they would do anything like this intentionally, but they seem incapable of inadvertently doing stupid things, so does it matter how long my subscription has been inactive? Or as long as I have a few QDF & QDF-Backup files should I be able to get going without starting over? In case it matters, I disabled my auto-updates and I'm still running 27.1.25.10 because it seemed fairly stable.

Thanks for any info!

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @ProfileX,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your question.

Yes, you can absolutely renew an expired subscription and downgrade whenever you want. There is no time limit in doing so regardless of how long your subscription has been expired. Simply go to our compare pricing page and choose which subscription you would like to renew with.

Once you have paid for your renewal, your program should automatically catch on to your renewal and the new subscription level you chose. You may have to close and reopen Quicken if it is already open. If that doesn't work, then you will simply need to sign out and back into your data file (steps below).
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    4. Sign in as a different user
    5. Follow the prompts until you have successfully signed back in
    Once signed in you can go to Help > About Quicken to verify that your subscription shows your new expiration date and downgrade.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions!
    -Quicken Anja
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    Shop around for the best $/month price you can find, it may not be at Quicken.com.  If you have been expired more than 30 days, you qualify as a "NEW" user when buying from Quicken.com,  so those % off deals would apply to you.
    This is important, so I'll repeat it, Shop around for the best $/month price, look at the big box stores and Amazon, just make sure that who you are purchasing from is legitimate (nothing against eBay, but you never know who they are).
    Also, make sure that "auto-renew" is turned off at Quicken.com so that you have complete control over what you pay in the future.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ProfileXProfileX Member ✭✭
    Thanks Anja for the info, but that's how it's *supposed* to work :) I'm hoping to hear from non-employees who have actually been through the process.

Thanks splasher for the tip but my question isn't about saving money, I think I would still be frustrated & asking even if the subscription was $1/year.

I just don't want to wait too long to decide if I'll be renewing or not and then need to start over with a new file, losing years of spending & investment performance. Thanks for any experiences you can share!
    > @volvogirl said:
    > You would never have to start over with a new file.  Your data file is kept in a separate file from the program.  

Oh I wish it were that simple, and I wish I had such a naive, innocent trust in Quicken as you. I've lost data before during upgrades, even though I have many, many backup files (local backups as well as versioned backups in the cloud & USB). In fact a few years ago I worked with Quicken tech support for many hours and ended up just accepting that I could only import some of my old data and lost about 10 months of history. I know people who just had to give up on Quicken support & start over with a new file and just get on with their life. You may just be lucky and not know how bad the quality of this software has been in the past, although it is improving slowly.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭
    You want proof from a non-employee, here is that proof.
    I have both an active Premier account and an expired one that I do testing in to see what an expired account looks like.
    I routinely move a file from the active installation to the expired installation and it works just fine.
    Before you object, superusers on this forum are NOT employees, they are just other users that spend a lot of time here answering questions just like yours.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

Now that's good info, and thank you for sharing. The post from volvogirl "superuser" said "never" which is not true, and was not useful.

Thanks!
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You had a Quicken Subscription program, that you allowed to expire.
    If you have Quicken 2016 or Quicken 2017 installer program, you can uninstall Quicken Subscription program according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Once it is uninstalled, you can install Quicken 2016 or 2017 and regain the lost real estate, that you lose, by using Quicken Subscription program in its expired state.

There is no Data Conversion between 2016, 2017 and Subscription programs.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.22 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20236.1005
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.572

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

That's an idea, I hadn't thought of using a pre-subscription version with my current data file, I assumed the file format has changed at least a little. I do have these older versions saved, but I think if I used the 2017 installer it would be the unpatched initial release, is it possible to download the last 2017 mongo patch?

Quicken_Premier_2013.iso 6/11/2014 10:43:30 PM
    Quicken_Premier_2016.exe 12/27/2015 8:43:35 AM
    QW2016R14MPatch.exe 10/14/2017 6:16:52 AM
    QW2016R19.5MPatch.EXE 3/2/2019 4:04:48 PM
    QW2016R18.4MPatch.EXE 3/2/2019 4:19:09 PM
    Quicken_Premier_2017.exe 10/26/2016 8:44:31 PM
    Quicken_Premier_2018.exe 3/12/2018 4:35:59 PM
    QW27.1.21.17MPatch.EXE 9/16/2019 10:36:36 AM
    QW27.1.23.14MPatch.EXE 11/8/2019 10:22:32 AM
    QW27.1.23.17MPatch.EXE 11/27/2019 11:44:49 AM
    Quicken_Premier_2019.exe 11/27/2019 3:31:31 PM
This discussion has been closed.