Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Issue setting up Online Updates on an existing account

I recently upgraded to 2020 form 2016 so these credit card accounts have been around a while. I am trying to add online updating to them but process forces me to create a new account and it doesn't even configure it to be online.

This is reminiscent of a previous post where the last credit card I added created a second account that couldn't be deleted until I disconnected from the internet ... the fun continues. At least I was able to deleted second account this time.

I'm thinking this shouldn't be trying to add a new account at all.

I welcome any suggestions at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are going to be issues when you haven't been able download and import transactions for over a year.

Save backups: press Ctrl + B

First, the Online Services for a register may be in an error state if they were active at the time they were discontinued.  There are number of methods to clear the state.  The big hammer is to create a new register and move the transactions.

The next issue is to link the accounts found at a financial institution to the appropriate register in Quicken.  Again, there are number of approaches.  The big hammer is to first clear the financial institution associated with all the registers you'll need, use Add Account, and carefully link the accounts found to the existing registers.

Finally, since you haven't imported transactions for over a year, there will be a significant number of imported transactions presented.  As you have been maintaining the register manually, the approach you may want to consider using is to accept all these initially downloaded transactions into the register as new so that you may delete all of them.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7179327/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicates
  • Thanks for the advice. There may be a number of methods but the only one presented is "start from scratch". As it stands right now, even after creating a new account, I still don't get any dialogue to enter account information and link to an existing account. It really just wants to setup new accounts.

I can't seem to find any way to add passwords to the registers that don't have them. The password vault has a button to add passwords, but it is greyed out.

Just chasing my tail. I feel like I need a fresh install, but I have no idea how much of this legacy crud is in the backed up database. Probably all of it.

Gotta say Quicken, this is not saving me any time. The software quality is concerning at best .... There is more I could say here but I won't.

Sigh ... I kinda want my money back now.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff122 said:
    Thanks for the advice. There may be a number of methods but the only one presented is "start from scratch". As it stands right now, even after creating a new account, I still don't get any dialogue to enter account information and link to an existing account. It really just wants to setup new accounts.

I can't seem to find any way to add passwords to the registers that don't have them. The password vault has a button to add passwords, but it is greyed out.

Just chasing my tail. I feel like I need a fresh install, but I have no idea how much of this legacy crud is in the backed up database. Probably all of it.

Gotta say Quicken, this is not saving me any time. The software quality is concerning at best .... There is more I could say here but I won't.

Sigh ... I kinda want my money back now.
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

The behavior you're describing implies you may not have installed the Quicken subscription.  If so, I suggest you download and open: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe
  • I had Called quicken to get them to extend the discount for Canadian software, I installed my subscription while they were on the phone. My chequing / savings accounts work, the previous BMO credit card seems to work (thank you), so I don't think it would be a subscription.

I'm past my 30 days so am not going to fight about it. Didn't have the time to devote to making this work. 30 days is ample for a tryout if everything works.
This discussion has been closed.