Home Before you Buy

Can Quicken 2020 sort charges & credits in dollar descending order when reconciling an account?

Len8697Len8697 Member ✭✭
I own Quicken 2013 and when reconciling an account, I want to sort the charges and credits in dollar descending order. That way I can easily locate the charge or credit I am looking for that appears on my banks statement. However, the 2013 version has a glitch and does not allow you to sort this way. Nothing was able to solve the issue so I have been working under those conditions with that glitch for 7 yrs. Before I buy 2020 version, I want to ensure it can definitely sort in dollar descending order. Otherwise there is no use buying the new version.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can sort on any of the fields - Date, Amount, etc. - that show up in the Reconcile window when using the 2020 (subscription) product.
  • Len8697Len8697 Member ✭✭
    OK. But I thought I could buy the version without having to do a subscription. Isn't that possible?
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Beware of the fact that if you update past Quicken 2013 you will be required to use a Quicken Id and a subscription, and if you allow the subscription to lapse 25% of your Quicken window will be filled with an ad to renew the subscription.

That was very important to know. I didn't realize they no longer allow you to own a version without subscription.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Len8697 ,

Quicken 2017, does allow the User to sort the Date Field in both directions. That program is not a Subscription product. However, it will convert the data file to 2017 format. But is no longer supported.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Len8697 said:

That was very important to know. I didn't realize they no longer allow you to own a version without subscription.

To be precise about it, you never bought Quicken, you bought a license to use it which included a 3+ year window of online banking support (downloading transactions).  The only difference now is that at the end of online banking support (subscription expires), Quicken displays a panel extolling the benefits of having an active subscription.  The real problem is that it eats up some very precious screen space.
    See this thread: Expiration-Vote
    Back to buying software, you can't afford to, if you did, you would have the source code and could make any changes you desired.  It would take a person with Bill Gates type money to be able to really buy Quicken.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

> @thecreator said:
    > Hi @Len8697 ,
    >
    > Quicken 2017, does allow the User to sort the Date Field in both directions. That program is not a Subscription product. However, it will convert the data file to 2017 format. But is no longer supported.

Ok, you say it can sort date field, but I don't care about date, I want to sort in dollar descending order. Can it definitely do that?
    > @splasher said:
    > (Quote)
    > To be precise about it, you never bought Quicken, you bought a license to use it..."

I get that. But that is more a matter of semantics. I meant a license. These days they don't sell licenses any more as I understand it, but only subscriptions.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note Quicken 2017 should be the same, but I don't have that installed at the moment to check.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > From Quicken Subscription (Quicken 2018 or above):
    > (Image)

That was VERY helpful. And in order to get 2018 or above, I have to buy a subscription, right? No licenses available.
    Len8697 said:
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > From Quicken Subscription (Quicken 2018 or above):
    > (Image)

That was VERY helpful. And in order to get 2018 or above, I have to buy a subscription, right? No licenses available.
    That is correct.
    Does anyone know if the 2017 version was able to sort on dollar field, too, as Chris has indicated above?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Len8697 said:
    > @splasher said:
    > (Quote)
    > To be precise about it, you never bought Quicken, you bought a license to use it..."

I get that. But that is more a matter of semantics. I meant a license. These days they don't sell licenses any more as I understand it, but only subscriptions.
    Now you are playing with semantics.  In the "Term of Use" at this link https://www.quicken.com/terms-of-use, states the following:
    Your Right to Use Products and Services. Your Membership gives you the right to use Products and Services. The exact combination of Products and Services that you may use will depend upon which Membership plan and platform you choose. Some plans or platforms may offer different functionality than other plans or platforms. The specific features, functionality, or capabilities of any Membership plan may be added to, altered, or removed at any time in response to customer Feedback, business or technology changes, market conditions, and the like. Full information on the features available for each Membership plan is available at www.quicken.com/compare.
    You acknowledge that the Products and Services are licensed and not sold. So long as you comply with the terms of this Membership Agreement and any other applicable terms and conditions, you are granted a personal, limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, revocable license to use the Products and Services during the Membership Term.

You will notice in the second paragraph it explains that the software is "licensed" and NOT "sold".

This used to be covered in the End User License Agreement (EULA) prior to subscription Quicken, but now it is in the Term of Use.  Either way, you had to agree to the conditions in the EULA/Terms of Use before you could install and use the Quicken software.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

There is really no point in arguing about the licensing and such.

If it wasn't for the fact that Quicken Inc has chosen to put in those terrible ads that take up all that space when the subscription expires, we could state that there is no difference between what was done in the past and is happening now, with the exception of the length of the term for use of the online services.

But the ads are there and they are a major reason why people would reject the new software model.

BTW there are other considerations of going past Quicken 2013.
    Quicken 2013 is the last version that didn't require a Quicken Id. Now Quicken Id accounts are free, but if Quicken Inc goes out of business and the servers go away, you will not be able to install Quicken again.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that Q2013 Premier does sort Recon by Amount.  I have never reconcilled in Quicken so I went into my Test file and tried it.  So any version after 2013 should also.

Your 2013 doesn't?  What version?  Do you need to update it?  See if you have the latest Release for 2013 here,

Hmmm,  I tried it on a credit card account.  Looks like when I click the arrow on the Amount column it sorts by Payee!  Guess it is a glitch at least in CC account.  Are the Payees listed on your statement?  That should help find the transaction.
    I do remember this bug.  I don't remember exactly what version of Quicken they fixed it in, but it has been lots of years.  Note that my example from Quicken subscription is a credit card account.
    > @volvogirl said:
    > I can confirm that Q2013 Premier does sort Recon by Amount.  I have never reconcilled in Quicken so I went into my Test file and tried it.  So any version after 2013 should also.
    >
    > (Image)

Thanks, but I have Deluxe and Quicken was never able to resolve my issue after attempts to do so. It's Quicken Deluxe 2013, so I would be willing to upgrade to get the sort on dollar feature that should have been there to begin with.
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Hmmm,  I tried it on a credit card account.  Looks like when I click the arrow on the Amount column it sorts by Payee!  Guess it is a glitch at least in CC account.  Are the Payees listed on your statement?  That should help find the transaction.

Exactly!! That's what I'm saying.
This discussion has been closed.