Home Before you Buy

Do I need to create a Quicken ID, if I don't plan on downloading bank account data online?

Len8697Len8697 Member ✭✭
edited June 18 in Before you Buy
I am checking to see which versions require that I create a Quicken ID, and whether I can bypass that to use the software without creating an ID. When I say which versions, I am willing to go back as far as 2017. (Quicken for Windows)

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't create a Quicken ID ... how do you intend to download bug fixes for your program?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Len8697Len8697 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > If you don't create a Quicken ID ... how do you intend to download bug fixes for your program?

I have no idea what the purpose of a Quicken ID is for, so I would not know how to answer your question.
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > You can't install Quicken 2014 and beyond without signing into a Quicken Id.

Thanks, Chris. I didn't realize that.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Q ID is necessary for ALL download activity ... both data updates and program updates.
    No ID = No Updates.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a version now?  I'm staying on Q2013.  That was the last good stable version before they started requiring ID.  If you install 2013.........

One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

> @NotACPA said:
    > The Q ID is necessary for ALL download activity ... both data updates and program updates.No ID = No Updates.

I see. Thanks for explaining.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given that Quicken 2014 started out without the Intuit Id and then got it, and then was later converted to a Quicken Id after Quicken was sold, I think the original use was more for them to enforce licensing.  But later it started getting connected to all online activity.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Given that Quicken 2014 started out without the Intuit Id and then got it, and then was later converted to a Quicken Id after Quicken was sold, I think the original use was more for them to enforce licensing.  But later it started getting connected to all online activity.

I see. I didn't know they were sold. May I assume Intuit now owns Quicken? Anyway, from what you told me, I know understand that if I want to update the version I buy, then I cannot do so without creating an ID.

Lastly I just bought a 2-yr sub of the 2018 version new from eBay for $45. Not bad. One buyer commented that when they did so, after doing the online update on it, their version now shows as 2020.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Intuit sold off Quicken about 3 or 4 years ago most of the Quicken employees went to the new company, which is now called Quicken Inc.  Intuit still provides the Express Web Connect and Direct Connect services as a third party.

On the last part.  Being on a subscription has some advantages, and one of them is that you always get the latest version of Quicken, no more "big bang yearly releases".  After it installs Quicken 2018 it will update to that latest version.

Another thing that has changed over the years is "file compatibility". Starting in Quicken 2016 they have kept the data files backwards compatible.  So Quicken 2016/2017 can open a Quicken subscription data file.  That is something you could never do with Quicken 2015 and below "go backwards".
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    "After it installs Quicken 2018 it will update to that latest version."

Great!

"Another thing that has changed over the years is "file compatibility". Starting in Quicken 2016 they have kept the data files backwards compatible."

Glad to hear it. the down side is that once I begin using Quicken 2018, if I don't like it, I cannot import the 2018 file into 2013 and revert back to using it there. I would have to manually enter all the new transactions that were put into 2018.

Thanks.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Len8697 - Just a FYI:  Unlike Quicken 2017 and earlier, the subscription product year doesn't really mean much.  It is mainly for retail product marketing purposes.  When you install your 2018 subscription program it will get updated to the latest 2020 revision.  So when we talk about subscription programs, issues and questions in Community, the most important things to take into consideration are the version (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business, Quicken for Windows vs Mac, Quicken Canada) and the revision.  The year simply doesn't matter because from 2018-2020 it's all the same program, just different revisions.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R27.28 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helpful to you, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @Len8697 - Just a FYI:  Unlike Quicken 2017 and earlier, the subscription product year doesn't really mean much.  It is mainly for retail product marketing purposes.  When you install your 2018 subscription program it will get updated to the latest 2020 revision.  So when we talk about subscription programs, issues and questions in Community, the most important things to take into consideration are the version (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home and Business, Quicken for Windows vs Mac, Quicken Canada) and the revision.  The year simply doesn't matter because from 2018-2020 it's all the same program, just different revisions.

Got it! Thanks.
  • JosephPatrickJosephPatrick Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken 2015 and my online access expired several years ago. I update my data manually and have never had any bug problems. If I upgrade to the latest version I assume I will need a one year subscription. Once that expires can I continue to use the offline features such as printing checks, balancing my checkbook, logging my credit card purchases and running spending reports with out a subscription?
    Also, my credit card company offers downloads of transaction data in Quicken format that can then be imported into quicken. Does the newer version allow for file imports in Quicken or csv format?
    > @JosephPatrick said:
    > I have Quicken 2015 and my online access expired several years ago. I update my data manually and have never had any bug problems. If I upgrade to the latest version I assume I will need a one year subscription.

Once that expires can I continue to use the offline features such as printing checks, balancing my checkbook, logging my credit card purchases and running spending reports with out a subscription?

> Also, my credit card company offers downloads of transaction data in Quicken format that can then be imported into quicken. Does the newer version allow for file imports in Quicken or csv format?
    I have Quicken 2015 and my online access expired several years ago. I update my data manually and have never had any bug problems. If I upgrade to the latest version I assume I will need a one year subscription.

Once that expires can I continue to use the offline features such as printing checks, balancing my checkbook, logging my credit card purchases and running spending reports with out a subscription?

Also, my credit card company offers downloads of transaction data in Quicken format that can then be imported into quicken. Does the newer version allow for file imports in Quicken or csv format?
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Yes to all except if you buy the Starter Edition.  That goes into read only mode when the subscription expires.  If you don't plan on downloading you can just stay on Q2015.  I'm staying on Q2013.

Also if you let your subscription expire, about 25% of your screen will be taken up with a reminder to renew.  Check around in the stores for deals.  Like for longer terms like 24 months.

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20
    @JosephPatrick - Just to clarify regarding QFX file manual downloads:  Manual downloading and importing of QFX files is called Web Connect which is a Quicken online service.  So after your subscription expires you will not be able to download and import QFX files.
    It really can pay to shop around at retailers for deals on Quicken.  When I got my Premier subscription I was able to get a 26 months subscription from a retailer on Amazon for about $45.  If you go this route, make sure you are buying from a reputable retailer and that they clearly state what the length of the subscription is and that their product is new and includes the activation code. 
    Also, if you buy from a retailer, don't concern yourself so much with the Quicken year on the packaging or product listing which starting with Quicken 2018 is mainly for marketing.  As long as it is Quicken 2018 or later, says "subscription" and you get the activation code you are good to go.  The subscription term starts from the day your activate it, not from the date of purchase.  When you install/activate it you will be upgraded at no additional cost to the latest subscription revision.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R27.28 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helpful to you, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.