Home Welcome to the Community! The Water Cooler

I am the victim of a scam

redfox112redfox112 Member ✭✭
edited June 25 in The Water Cooler
The supervisor at Quicken support encouraged me to post here:
I was recently the victim of a scam by someone purporting to be from Quicken.
Beware of a phone call from a guy calling himself Jack. He calls from (xxx-xxx-4852) and asks you to call him at (xxx-xxx-6370)  He convinced me to buy a 5 year subscription to Quicken home & business 2019 (I did not know at the time that 5 year subscriptions were not available) plus 5 years Norton Protection for a total of CAD$790.98. He asked for permission to take control of my computer so that he could install Norton and prepare my subscription to Quicken home & business 2019 which was due to expire in two weeks. I agreed (fool, I hear a lot of you saying) and paid. He said he would call back on June 17 to complete the installation of Quicken.
On June 16 we discussed this and said that there was something fishy, especially after I had gone into Norton and found that it was NOT registered to my e-mail address but to (Removed-Safety) 
So beware!
My PC is currently being cleaned.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    redfox112 said:
    The supervisor at Quicken support encouraged me to post here:
    I was recently the victim of a scam by someone purporting to be from Quicken.
    Beware of a phone call from a guy calling himself Jack. He calls from (Removed-Safety)and asks you to call him at (Removed-safety) He convinced me to buy a 5 year subscription to Quicken home & business 2019 (I did not know at the time that 5 year subscriptions were not available) plus 5 years Norton Protection for a total of CAD$790.98. He asked for permission to take control of my computer so that he could install Norton and prepare my subscription to Quicken home & business 2019 which was due to expire in two weeks. I agreed (fool, I hear a lot of you saying) and paid. He said he would call back on June 17 to complete the installation of Quicken.
    On June 16 we discussed this and said that there was something fishy, especially after I had gone into Norton and found that it was NOT registered to my e-mail address but to (Removed-Safety) 
    So beware!
    My PC is currently being cleaned.
    I know OP means well, but should the phone #s be shown in their entirety?
    I suggest Xing out everything but the last four digits.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would also point something "Beware of a phone call from a guy calling"

Quicken Inc doesn't call anyone unless you have contacted them first, so that should by your signal to hang up.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • redfox112redfox112 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I would also point something "Beware of a phone call from a guy calling"
    >
    > Quicken Inc doesn't call anyone unless you have contacted them first, so that should by your signal to hang up.

The phone call was NOT from Quicken; it was an unknown 1 800 number and normally I would not answer...
  • redfox112redfox112 Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I know OP means well, but should the phone #s be shown in their entirety?I suggest Xing out everything but the last four digits.

I guess admin removed the numbers and email for 'safety' :(
  • Quicken HughQuicken Hugh Moderator, Employee mod
    @redfox112
    We are very sorry to hear that you were the victim of a scam. I hope you have been able to recover from this and have had whatever he did removed from your system and your money clawed back. Redfox112, thank you for posting about this very serious concern. If you need any help please contact Quicken Inc. directly.

Anyone who would like to contact the official Quicken Inc. is welcome and invited to do so here. The official Quicken Inc. product/price list is here. (You can purchase official Quicken products from other vendors as well.) Note that Quicken does not offer a 5 year subscription at all.

Although common Search Engines provide millions of results for a search on the phrase "Quicken support", please note that only Quicken.com is the correct domain name to contact Quicken Inc. (At the bottom of the Quicken.com Home page there is a link to the official Quicken Canada website as well.) The official Simplifi by Quicken product website is https://www.simplifimoney.com.

If you contact the official Quicken Support, in some cases the Quicken Support folks might ask to view your computer screen in order to better help you. But the official Quicken Support people do not have the ability to - in any manner whatsoever - "take control of" your computer.

Should you have any question whatsoever as to whether or not some purported Quicken Support person is in fact a true Quicken Support person - hang up. Then call us back via an official Quicken Support channel.

Thank you,
    Quicken Hugh
  • JonnyVeeJonnyVee Member ✭✭
    I'd certainly like to see the numbers that called, they may be the same that called me recently. I get massive amounts of emails from "Quicken", if you look at the actual return email address, it is usually some address that's not from Quicken at all, and/or someone's personal email address.

When it is phone numbers, and I don't know them, I never answer. Another red flag was the amount, wayyyy too much for what was being offered. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is not true. In your case, it was not even too good to be true, it was too much. Never ever allow untrusted and unknown people to Teamviewer in to your PC, not unless you know the person or company that is doing it. I had to let Cox Cable remote into me once, and I had trust issues with THAT.

Gather up everything you have said here including the blocked out numbers, and call your Credit Card issuer, and file a theft claim. They can get into the gritty details of who this scammer was. Do it now, if you have not already done it. A legitimate company will not ever call you, they will use emails that are easy to verify. My version of Quicken was from such offer, but they sent me to no LINK, they sent me to my Quicken Login and the offer was visible from there.
    Windows 7
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe
    http://socialspit.net
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JonnyVee said:
    I'd certainly like to see the numbers that called, they may be the same that called me recently. …

The reason for not showing the number is that  some other user will come to this forum, looking for a support number, find that post and not read it and call the number, get scammed and then blame Quicken for having a bad number posted on their forum.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list