Can I pay my bills using Bill Manager Quick Pay by manually enter the bill

Can I pay a bill, ie my electric utility bill without giving Quick Pay the userid and password to the utilities' website?

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi @ Ben Klein,

The answer is "Yes".  When you pay a bill (any bill) by Check Quick Pay, the app doesn't interface with the payee at all.  You enter the data for the payment, including the Payee name and address - but that is only so the check can be written and sent out.

Hope this helps!

Frankx
    [Edited to correct typo]

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ben Klein
    Ben Klein Member ✭✭
    I thought Quick Pay used EFT and not a check. It is my understanding that the new Bill Manager has two parts Quick Pay and Check Pay. Quick pay used EFT (limit 15 with Premium) and Check Pay (limit 6). I do not want to give Quicken the userids and passwords to all the websites for the companies to whom I pay bills. That was the reason for my original question.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry - I made a typo (corrected) - I was referring to Check pay and you don;t need to provide userids or passwords for the payment method (I got that part right).

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ben Klein
    Ben Klein Member ✭✭
    Frankx, Thank you for the clarification but it doesn't answer my question. I would like to continue to pay my bills with quicken. My bank does not allow access to their billpay even though I connect with the bank using 'Direct Connect'. That is the reason for the question.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Ben Klein,

Sorry I wasn't clear.  The answer is - yes, you can use the Check Pay feature in Quicken to pay bills - it will NOT require you to permit/allow Quicken (or any other entity) to access your vendor accounts on vendor websites.  Basically, it will work the same way you would pay bills through your bank using Direct Connect - only this is a third party making the payment. 

On setup you will input the bank account information that Check Pay will draw from to make payments that you request. To make a payment, you'll need to input the vendor info, the amount of the payment, the date to be paid, etc.  Check Pay then sends the payment according to your instructions using a check drawn on its bank account.

Here's a link to more information on Check Pay 

You should page down to the sections titled "Setup Check Pay" and "Adding a Manual Bill to Check Pay"  https://www.quicken.com/support/how-move-quicken-bill-pay-quicken-bill-manager

Frankx

• Ben Klein
    Ben Klein Member ✭✭
    Frankx, I appreciate all your responses, but you are not answering my question. There is a limit of 6 payments with Check Pay. I have been asking about Quick Pay where I can make 15 payments. I would use check pay in the merchant is not one that Quicken has in its list. So let me repeat.
    Can I pay a bill using Quick Pay without providing Quicken with the userid and password to the merchant website? In other words, I would have to enter the amount manually.
  • Ben Klein
    Ben Klein Member ✭✭
    jrfaris, Thank you. That is what I thought. I have access to another bank that I could use but things get more complicated. I would prefer to stay with Quicken for paying bills. BUT.
This discussion has been closed.