Needed improvement in Quicken's link to Brokerage firms

Downloads from Fidelity Investments into Quicken for Windows that include option transactions frequently miss labels those transactions (for example it tells me I bought "expired put on. . ."such and such date. How does one buy an expired put?? In checking with Fidelity they told me that the translator software Quicken currently uses which I think they said is QualStock can't seem to translate properly the information coming into it from Fidelity so it generates spurious statements to describe the transactions. So we have to manually try to correct the account information in Quicken. A key to do this is to note that included in the spurious label is a multi-digit number that turns out to be the CUSIP number of the stock involved. You have to find out from Fidelity what the CUSIP number is of the stock involved and then you can correct the label in the account listing.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In checking with Fidelity they told me that the translator software Quicken currently uses which I think they said is QualStock can't seem to translate properly the information coming into it from Fidelity so it generates spurious statements to describe the transactions.
    That doesn't make any sense.  Quicken only connects to the financial instructions using Direct Connect, which has no "translation".  It is Quicken talking directly to the financial institution using the OFX protocol.

You can see the "conversation" by looking at:
    Help -> Log Files -> OFX log

Now granted Quicken definitely has problems with options, it clear from the start that that wasn't their "market" and never has had full support for them.

Whether the problem is in how Fidelity is coding the transactions or Quicken is interpreting those actions I don't know (especially without seeing what Fidelity sent), but there isn't a "translation" from one format to another unless it is being done by Fidelity when sending the data to Quicken.
    https://www.ofx.net/downloads.html

And given that wrong information provided by Fidelity it sounds like some kind of run around by someone that has no clue at what is really happening.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Here's a recent sell transaction that I made, as recorded in the QFX.txt file that was downloaded from Fidelity:
    <SELLMF><INVSELL><INVTRAN><FITID>15323930516701120200615<DTTRADE>20200615000000.000[-4:EDT]<MEMO>YOU SOLD</INVTRAN><SECID><UNIQUEID>316146265<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><UNITS>-0000000000562.58800<UNITPRICE>000000021.330000000<COMMISSION>+00000000000000.0000<FEES>+00000000000000.0000<TOTAL>+00000000012000.0000<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.00<CURSYM>USD</CURRENCY><SUBACCTSEC>CASH<SUBACCTFUND>CASH</INVSELL><SELLTYPE>SELL    </SELLMF>
    Note that it begins with a SELLMF (since I sold a fund) and ends with a /SELLMF, indicating the end of the specific transaction.
    You can get to you OFX file by doing HELP, Log  Files, OFX Log.  Save that file to your desktop, and then open it with NotePad or WordPad (NOT MS Word).
    Search for your specific transaction(s) that you're discussing and please post the results so that we can see what Fidelity is actually sending.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP