Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Chase Direct Connect error (QWIN) OL 294/ (QMac) HTTP-504

Quicken Deluxe Windows 27.20

Starting today 6/21/2020 I get an OL 294 A error message when trying to download from Chase using Direct Connect. Same error message whether I use One Step Update or with the transaction register Update Now.

PS ... I also get an error message with Quicken Deluxe Mac too.

No issues previous to today.

Answers

• Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited June 21
    Hello @PhoenixRising,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Please, review this error-specific support article regarding error OL-294.

Also, are you receiving a numeral error code on your Mac? The troubleshooting requirements on Mac are more than likely different from your Windows.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.
    -Quicken Anja
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Chase OFX server appears to be down.  I'm seeing no response from the server in the logs.
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Following is what this code means:
    This same error code information is available from within Quicken by clicking on the error code you are seeing.
    The most common cause of this is when the FI is doing system maintenance and that most often occurs at night and on weekends.  Another really good indication that this is a system down issue is that you are seeing this with both QW and QM.  The only thing you can do is try again later in the day or on the next business day. 
    If this issue extends beyond the next business day it could be something different so check back here if you are still encountering this issue on Tuesday and we can try some troubleshooting steps.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R30.10 on Windows 10)
  • joecgjoecg Member ✭✭
    I have two Chase accounts accessing via Direct Connect and a third (business) one that does via Express Web Connect. Both the Direct Connect do not work currently, returning this error. The Express Web Connect one does work. All worked yesterday, so thinking this is indeed Chase doing maintenance.
  • TimeCitizenTimeCitizen Member ✭✭
    I'm getting the same error message this morning as well.
  • Chase Visa stopped downloading transactions on 6/20/2020.  As of the 21st this is still not functioning
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Me as well. Tried to Reset the account and now in a loop that my last online session was not completed when I try to exit or login again to Quicken. Good to know not just me for a change :)

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW, it now says it is trying to connect to Chase Error Recovery when I try to update the account. Never saw that before.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    BTW, it now says it is trying to connect to Chase Error Recovery when I try to update the account. Never saw that before.
    This is normal Quicken processing.  When you go to update the next time after a failure Quicken will send "recovery messages".  Not exactly sure the difference it is between that and a normal update, but this does happen from time to time.

And yes Chase downloading is down today.  Given the problems they recently had with their website/Express Web Connect/Direct Connect, and this being a Sunday I suspect that it is down to fix the problems they have encountered.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Found many message on Chase here today. Just searching the error recovery..

Did find this for cancelling the session not completed message, though I have not tried it:

1. Select the Online menu and select Online Center.
    2. Click the Financial Institution drop-down arrow in the upper left of the window and select a financial institution. Click the Update/Send button.
    3. At the prompt, "Your last online session was not complete..." press Ctrl+Enter on your keyboard.
    4. At the next prompt, "Would you like to skip re-sending of the original request?" click OK.
    5. Enter your PIN and download from your financial institution.

joecg said:
    I have two Chase accounts accessing via Direct Connect and a third (business) one that does via Express Web Connect. Both the Direct Connect do not work currently, returning this error. The Express Web Connect one does work. All worked yesterday, so thinking this is indeed Chase doing maintenance.
    It's not surprising to find one connection method working and another not.  DC and EWC connect differently and at different times.  DC connects, as the name implies, directly with the FI and at the time of OSU.  EWC connects at night when the transaction data is aggregated with data from other EWC accounts so when we run OSU we are downloading from the aggregator, not directly from the FI.
    If indeed the server is down (as was stated by @markus1957 above and as the error code suggests) there is nothing that can be done to address this but to wait for Chase to complete whatever they are doing with their server and try again later. 
    This might be an issue for individuals who don't want to wait to get their downloads but it is not a Quicken issue and (assuming this server down was planned by Chase) it is not a Chase issue.  We need to wait.  It will most likely be up and running by tonight or tomorrow morning.
  • TravelGuyTravelGuy Member
    I'm getting the same error message from Quicken One Step Update on all Chase accounts yet I'm able to access the accounts directly through Chase.com.
    edited June 21
    Actually, it's been an on-again/off-again thing since the evening of 6/19.  Chase's server is down.  Most likely it is down for maintenance.  FIs do system maintenance most often at night and on weekends.  The only thing to do is wait and try again later.  Most likely it will be available by tomorrow morning or maybe even later this evening.
    @TravelGuy You being able to log into Chase' website has no bearing on being able to download into Quicken is the exception of if Chase's website is down you can pretty much be sure you won't be able to download into Quicken.

Direct Connect:
    Quicken talks to OFX server at financial institution.  "server" in this case refers to the software and hardware.  The software is definitely not that same software that runs the website.  So either can be up or down at the same time.  But then there is the hardware it is very possible that the OFX server software is running on the same hardware as the website server software, so if the hardware is down (which includes any problems with network connects) then both would be down.

Express Web Connect:
    Quicken talks to the Intuit servers which in turn talk to the financial institution's website.  Clearly in this case both the website software and hardware impact this connection method.  But on top of that you have the Intuit servers and their "scripts" to log in, which are doing it "as the user" using non standardized protocols, which can fail at log in, fail to get the data, can fail to translate it correctly, and there can be network problems between Quicken and the Intuit servers.
    P.S. Anyone that is "desperate" to get their transactions can do it by Web Connect, which is to say log into the Chase website and download and import the QFX file.
  • Carlos103Carlos103 Member ✭✭
    Have not been able to update my accounts using Quicken. Chase's website seems to be working fine when accessing directly
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Carlos103

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Please include any error messages you have received as well.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

Happy Harvest! Gobble! Gobble!
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Unless you have specifically allow Quicken to access your Accounts, you will not be able to access Chase through Quicken.

Click on: "Trying to activate your Quicken, Quickbooks or other PFM software?"

"

Search results

Where do I activate Quicken, QuickBooks, etc.?
    To activate financial management software like Quicken® and QuickBooks® (and let it access your Chase accounts), go to the person icon in the top right corner, choose "Profile and settings," then choose "AccountSafeSM" from the left side menu, then "Desktop apps." Choose "Continue" and then "Set it up" to connect the software to your Chase accounts. Keep in mind: Once you’ve set it up, you'll need to contact help and support at 1-877-CHASEPC (1-877-242-7372) to remove the software's access to your accounts.
    "

"

Download account activity to your personal financial software

• Directly connect your Chase accounts using your Personal Financial Management (PFM) software, like Quicken® or QuickBooks®.
    • With Direct Connect PFM there is a monthly service fee of $9.95. There is no monthly fee for Premier Platinum Checking, Chase Private Client and Private Banking customers."

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R30.10  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20262.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.630

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

@Quicken_Tyka and others.  Chase is down today for Direct Connect as noted in several of these threads that are popping up.  People are just going to have to wait until Chase fixes the problem.

And in fact I just tried the download again, and it is now working for me.
    edited June 21
    Update:
    Just tried downloading again (Chase, Direct Connect) and it is now working for me.
    Chase just worked for me now, too.
    Carlos103 said:
    Have not been able to update my accounts using Quicken. Chase's website seems to be working fine when accessing directly
    Being able to log in to your online account does not mean that Quicken should be able to connect.  They two are not the same thing.
    FYI, I too was just able to update my Chase account so it looks like Chase's server is up and running, again.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since I was in Error Recovery mode, it did not work for  me. So reset BOTH Chase accounts and it then successfully connected.

@Bob. Interesting that was needed in your case because I too was in "Error Recovery mode" for the first download, and that succeeded.

In fact it had me a bit worried, that maybe that mode did something to fix it, and it might not be fixed for people not in that mode.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it interesting how some thing work so differently for different users. I suspect you might not had tried to reset the account when first seeing the error like I did.
    @Bob.  No I didn't reset my account for this error.  And as one very knowledgeable Quicken employee told people, most Quicken users are way to fast on jumping to Reset and Deactivate/reactivate and cause themselves more problems.  Especially Deactivating because you might not get it reactivated again, at least not right away.

In general I don't do any kind of "troubleshooting" unless the problem persists over several days.

I'm on the west coast and up late and it isn't uncommon for me to get some errors updating late at night and especially on weekends.  Jumping into troubleshooting for situations like this is at best useless.
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

Chase still giving error code OL-294-A this morning.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • jcoley2jcoley2 Member ✭✭✭
    Chase continues to have problems with Quicken.  Last month I was having numerous problems and posted this with a solution:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875519/chase-stuck-in-error-recovery-ol-220-a-ol-292-b-and-ol-393-a

Now I am getting a new error OL-294-A since the weekend.   I tried following fix above note that step 4 no longer works--the menu seems to have changed.  

I tried following this recommendation but the 'gear box' does not appear where these instructions so I am guessing these instructions are now out of date.  

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-quicken-online-services-ol-293-or-ol-294

Need this fixed asap as Chase is my main way to pay my bills.

Any thoughts?

To be clear, I am Quicken 2020 version R26.23, version 27.1.26.23 under Parallels 15 running on a MacBook Pro.
  • MaikeerMaikeer Member ✭✭✭
    I am still getting the OL-294-A with Direct Connect (started Sunday, June 21).

I didn't try to do anything with these errors yesterday.  I have two different Chase accounts (two different logins) and I tried, unsuccessfully, to reset one of them today, June 22.

Quicken for Windows subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.   
  • indyjlsindyjls Member ✭✭
    I have been getting this since yesterday as well and none of the "fixes" work. I've had nothing but issues with Quicken since I paid my yearly fee last month. Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.