Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What is "Unable to update bills. Go to bills.. " error?

leishirsute
leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
I am not familiar with this error that has recently displayed during OSU.
Is there any documentation stating what causes it?
Is there a way to get rid of the error or service?
I don't have online billers or use the cloud.

Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @leishirsute,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

You can try unchecking the option to Update Bills in One Step Update if that option is available.
    • Tools > One Step Update...

Once it's unchecked, click Apply and then Update Now to see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Anja
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There is no such setting for "Update Bills" for my Quicken's OSU.
    Any other suggestions?

• Quicken Anja
    Hmm, that's odd. Thank you for the screenshot.

When did this issue first start occurring?

In that case though, if you haven't done so already, then I suggest you try to validate your data file by following the steps below--
    1. First, save a backup of your data file (just in case). 
    2. Then go to File
    3. File Operations
    4. Validate and Repair
    5. Validate File
    6. Ok
    7. Close the data log that will pop-up after the validation has completed
    8. Close Quicken
    9. Wait at least 5 seconds
    10. Reopen Quicken and try again to see if the issue reoccurs/remains the same or gets corrected
    You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold Ctrl and Shift on your keyboard when clicking on Validate and Repair in order to get the option for Super Validate.

Let us know how it goes!
    -Quicken Anja
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It looks like it started about a week ago.  I download transactions every morning.
    Regular validation had no errors.
    Retried download.
    What's interesting is that during the OSU Progress, that online service does even show as being updated:

and yet the OSU Summary shows an update was attempted:

Why is Quicken reporting an update of a service that the OSU progress doesn't even mention?
    Also, when I used CTRL+SHIFT for validate a progress box for validate appears.  How can I tell if it's doing a super validate:

I got the same result with a super validate.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited June 2020
    Thank you for your response.

That is puzzling as it definitely shouldn't operate that way.

For Super Validate it should say Super validating file. When are you holding down Ctrl + Shift? You'll want to make sure you hold both keys down while clicking on Validate and Repair (step 4) and don't let go until after you receive the window below, which should give you the option to select Super validate file.

Hopefully, that clarifies my initial instruction for that, but let me know if you still have any trouble getting the right option.
    -Quicken Anja
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The error state is reported until it is cleared.

If you don't wan't to see the earlier error, I suggest you check Show just last update.
    That got rid of the Update Bills error.  Thanks!
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your response.

That is puzzling as it definitely shouldn't operate that way.

For Super Validate it should say Super validating file. When are you holding down Ctrl + Shift? You'll want to make sure you hold both keys down while clicking on Validate and Repair (step 4) and don't let go until after you receive the window below, which should give you the option to select Super validate file.

Hopefully, that clarifies my initial instruction for that, but let me know if you still have any trouble getting the right option.
    I held CTRL+SHIFT and accessed Validate and Repair and continued to hold the CTRL+SHIFT. 
    Quicken gave this error:

Quicken is the only program accessing the datafile.  A regular validate does not have a problem.
    Is there a specific key sequence to press and stop pressing to get a super validate?
    Is it documented anywhere?
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind.  I was creating my own problem.  Supervalidate works fine.  I was pressing CTRL+SHIFT at the wrong point.
    The Supervalidate had no errors.
  • Quicken Anja
    @leishirsute, if Sherlock's answer resolved your issue you won't need to Super validate anymore, so I'm just adding this for reference in case you might need this in the future.

Super validate is used in troubleshooting for many different issues so there aren't any support articles written just for super validate. However, just to use as an example (disregard the topic), this support article has instructions for super validate documented.

You only hold the keys down while clicking the option to Validate and Repair. Once it's clicked, you would let go of the keys and then it should open the screenshotted window I provided in my previous response.
    -Quicken Anja
This discussion has been closed.