Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why are Repeating Online Payments duplicating

I have set up a couple of Repeating Online Payments, one for monthly mortgage payments and another for a regular quarterly bill. I both cases, after the payment processes, I have two identical transactions, one with a check number in correct online payment sequence and another as a reminder with the options to "pay", "edit this instance and all future instances", and "delete this instance and all future instances". Both transactions have the same date, the scheduled payment date, and both transactions are deducted from the running balance.

I have tried creating the mortgage payment by converting a reminder and by opening the mortgage account and creating it from there. Both result in the same problem.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @IanH,

Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you still need assistance, please take a moment and review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• IanH
    IanH Member ✭✭
    Here's the info you asked for. However, the problem at least a few months old, so it predates either the current quicken or windows builds.

Quicken 2020 Premier, version R26.23, Build 21.1.23.23 (US version)
    Win 10 Home, Version 2004, OS build 14041.329, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Any help is greatly appreciated
  • IanH
    IanH Member ✭✭
    Here's what the register looks like. I hope I did's get too carried away in redacting. Anyway, Payee A & B are labeled to indicate that each pair of transactions are duplicates.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The transactions do not appear to be identical.

6/26 online bill pay transaction to be sent
    6/27 payment instructions to be sent

7/7 payment instructions to be sent
    7/7 entered transaction not yet matched
  • IanH
    IanH Member ✭✭
    They are not strictly identical, however, they appear to be produced by the same routine.

The "6/26 online bill pay transaction to be sent" (already sent, actually) appears to have been created by the 6/27 payment instructions to be sent. This is a quarterly payment, so the next transaction to send shouldn't happen until Sept.

The 7/7 transactions are monthly, there should only be one of those too.

I didn't manually enter any of these transactions, both pairs appear to have been created by the Repeating Online Payments payments routine. I don't have any other reminders or calendared events for either of these transactions that would account for the second identical amount being deducted from the account balance on the same day.

If the second transaction in each pair were just a reminder or an indication that there's going to be another transaction in the future for the same amount, I could live with that. But both the "online bill pay transaction to be sent" and the "payment instructions to be sent" are being deducted from the account balance on the same(ish) date. (I can't account for the day difference on the 3/26-27 transactions.)

Maybe I just don't understand Repeating Online Payments. Shouldn't they just add the payment to the register and send instructions to the bank to make that payment?
This discussion has been closed.