One Step Update Errors

I am running Windows 7 SP 1
Quicken R26.23 Build 27.1.26.23

I have been receiving intermittent Multiple Errors when using the One Step Update for several weeks now, some days it works just fine other days from 1 - 6 Accounts ( Credit Card accounts) will have an error code. Citibank & Synchrony Bank seem to be the biggest offenders.
Just this morning (5:30 am MDT) I had 4 Errors on 6 accounts, I decided to try Updating them separately & it worked with no errors and as each account was successfully updated, the error message was removed from the OSU Summary.
Having to update one account at a time is not what I signed up for, been using Quicken for over 20 years & this past 6 months I've seen more problems than ever before.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even understand how you are running subscription Quicken R26.23 on a Windows 7 setup, Quicken doesn't support that configuration since Microsoft stopped support of that Windows version.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    I don't know what to tell you, Quicken works as expected other than the OSU problems I have been having, the last couple times I worked with Quicken Techs they never mentioned it. Microsoft is still providing updates through the Windows Update feature.At some point I will need to upgrade to a new Machine.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    My mistake, I misread your Quicken version as subscription, you are using Quicken 2017 which Quicken stopped supporting online banking (downloading/OSU) on April 30, 2020.
    If you want to continue online banking, you need to upgrade to subscription Q, but that requires Win8 and above, so with your Win7 computer, you are restricted to using Q in a manual entry mode only.
  • eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    My Online Banking works just fine & I am using Q 2020
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How about a screenshot of the Windows version? (winver)
  • eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    This is getting a little old....
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It may be getting a little old, but you have a situation that should not be possible.  
    At this point, I suggest contacting Quicken Support
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In Windows Control Panel select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)

• Click the Advanced tab.
    • Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
    • Uncheck all "Use SSL x.x"
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    • Close IE.
    • Close and restart Quicken.

If you don't have TLS 1.2 available on your system, it's time to upgrade either Internet Explorer or Windows.
    Also see https://www.quicken.com/support/connectivity-troubleshooting

• eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @UKR Those are already checked.
    I don't have a connectivity issue, at least 20 other accounts update like they should.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Like Splasher I thought that Quicken subscription would block installing on Windows 7, but one possible reason it would allow it is if you had a very old install before they put the block in.  In that case you might have installed then the updates don't do the same blocking.  If you were to use the newest install for Quicken it most likely would block the install.

Now to your problem.  Other than the install/Quicken seeing that you are on Windows 7 and blocking it, there really isn't any fundamental reason Quicken wouldn't "run" on Windows 7, but that isn't to say everything will work correctly.

When Microsoft dropped support for Windows XP, things didn't "break" immediately.
    What really put the nail in the coffin was the simple fact that Microsoft stopped sending out the updated security certificates.  Once the old certificates expired (and they do once a year) Windows XP could no longer establish a secure connection.

It is very likely the same thing is happen now for Windows 7.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I should have read your post fully I just jumped on the fact that Windows 7 was mentioned.  Given the "full read" it doesn't sound like Windows 7 security certificates have expired (YET!).

In your original post you say you are having problems with Citibank and Synchrony Bank, but you didn't give any of the error messages, which would have greatly helped this discussion.  But I will throw out my guesses without seeing the error messages.

Any account setup with Citibank (oppose to Citi Cards for credit card accounts, which get Direct Connect) as the financial institution is Express Web Connect, and at the moment there is a known problem with these accounts.  See the announcement on this page:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877238/new-6-23-20-citi-cards-returns-a-cc-501-101-or-an-its-not-your-fault-error#latest

As for credit managed by Synchrony Bank, that on is sort of "when they does not have problems".
    Signature:
  • eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Thanks for the link, It looks like they have a known issue and wrote that after I had discovered the problem.
    By the time I had written my original question I had updated the accounts individually which erased the error messages so I couldn't include them, I tried to find some kind of history log to see if the errors were there but couldn't find a log.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @eneranch
    It is interesting the updating individually didn't give you the same errors, but is known that "Update Now" does something different that One Step Update.  It is more interactive and such.
    Signature:
  • eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    I agree, i expected the same error message but when it successfully updated I started to scratch my head.
    I am running OSU right now just to see what happens.
  • eneranch
    eneranch Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW OSU just finished, no Errors.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @eneranch I will amend what I said.

Given that there is a known problem, I would expect that problem to happen even with Update Now.  But I should point out that Update Now is also one of the "troubleshooting" steps for Express Web Connect problems.  In fact it is the "second step" after "waiting".  Many a times when Express Web Connect throws a failure in One Setup Update, doing Update Now can clear the problem.  I'm not exactly sure what it does different, but it does work from time to time.  This especially true if the problem has to do with multiple factor authentication where it wants the user response.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.