Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Double posting in 401k account when editing a payroll entry

After entering my recurring payroll entry, I needed to edit it to add the employer contribution to my 401k. When I look into the 401k register, the transaction from my original entry is there and an additional entry posts. When I look at the split on the originating transaction, the amounts show up correctly therefore it cannot be corrected. If I try to delete the extra transaction in the 401k register, it will not allow it to be deleted referring me back to the originating transaction. This has been occurring for several months.

Answers

• Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @doneenh1,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

The Community may need a bit more information to be able to assist you further. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• doneenh1doneenh1 Member
    I am using Windows 10
    Quicken Premier 2020 R27.24
    Build: 27.1.27.24

After further investigation, I found that any account that I post the initial payroll recurring entry in to (e.g. 401k account, secondary checking account, HSA account, etc.) other than the primary deposit account will double post when I make a change to my initial entry via an edit. Once the double posting appears in those other accounts, there is no way to edit the originating entry to correct the second posting.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    On  those 2 transactions in the 401k ... are the amounts identical?
    Because there's 2 deposits into my wife's 401k also ... the amount that SHE deposited and the amount that her employer deposited (Employer Match) ... which is the way that it's supposed to work.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • doneenh1doneenh1 Member
    Thanks for the response.

They are identical, however they are duplicates of the original posting. I believe what is triggering it is that after entering the original transaction and it posts correctly to all my accounts, I often need to go in at a later date and edit the initial entry to adjust the employer contribution amount on the transaction. When I save it, it is creating another posting only into the accounts I have set up for the 401k, HSA, and my secondary bank account that a portion of my paycheck is deposited in to. These are set up in my recurring transaction with the associated account for these items (e.g. Vanguard 401k account). When I try to delete the entries in the registers of these accounts, I am instructed that I must go to the original entry to make any changes. When I look at the initial entry, the duplicate entries are not showing up. Only the correct initial entries appear in the originating transaction. The only way I have found to get these accounts back into balance is to add a misc. transaction that withdraws the amounts out of these accounts.