Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

When my Quicken Data is imported into TurboTax duplicate tax forms are created

I have been using Quicken and TurboTax for more than 15 years, or maybe more than 20 years.

In the past few years after I have imported my Quicken data into TurboTax, it resulted in duplicate tax forms in TurboTax. So, needing to get taxes finished I deleted the duplicated manually (what a pain!)

I am running late this year in getting my taxes finished but close to being ready to import again.

If there is any advise that you can provide based on your experience regarding these duplicates, it is certainly welcome.

Having some documentation regarding the criteria for Quicken data to be matched with TurboTax would be quite helpful.

This year, I plan to create a lot of Quicken and TurboTax file backups and screen shots, as I go, to have more details regarding this issue that I can share with Quicken Support/Community.

I also plan to report this issue with the TurboTax community for their input.

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My advice is not to import data from Quicken into TurboTax.  Years ago I tried that every year and every year I spent more time trying to get the import to be correct than it would take to just enter the numbers.  And with the exception of business expense that are recorded no where else Quicken isn't the "authority", the official numbers have to come from what is reported to the IRS, which means the 1099s, W-2s, ...

And TurboTax has a pretty good system for getting a lot of that information directly from the financial institutions.

So years ago I stopped trying to import tax data from Quicken into TurboTax, and as a result I got rid of a lot of frustration and I get my taxes done faster.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also for your consideration:  I tend to import limited information using a TXF file rather than having Quicken and TTax link together.  The TXF file is generated out of a Tax Schedule or Tax Summary report for only those accounts or expenses I choose to transfer. 

I agree with Chris that trying to get it all moved across can be more trouble than it is worth.   
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blame TurboTax for the creation of duplicates. If you start with last year's data, TT wants to helpfully duplicate lots of tax items right from the start, including 1099s and charitable contributions. I have gotten into the habit of telling TT, no, I don't have any 1099s or contributions so I can import them later without duplication. It is definitely extra work on the TT side.
    The only things I import from Quicken are state & local taxes (out of habit from when they were actually deductible and hoping they will be again in the future) and contributions. All other Quicken data gets hand-transcribed thanks to Q's lack of a complete tax line item list.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.