Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Cannot view Quotes after installing Ver. R27.24 (build 27.1.27.24) on 6/24/2020.

Answers

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Getting me more concerned. One thing if not just me. Another if it is. I have to get this working.

Let me run and check OFX in a few minutes.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK I just played around with deleting and reloading and getting just what Fidelity sent for my security.
    <SECINFO><SECID><UNIQUEID>315912600<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><SECNAME>FIDELITY SMALL CAP DISCOVERY FUND<TICKER>FSCRX<UNITPRICE>18.5000000<DTASOF>20200625033012.000[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD  </CURRENCY></SECINFO>

That is yesterday's closing price.  Today's closing price is 18.75.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭

Opened Quicken. All looked fine. OSU and Investments went blank and Accounts at Fidelity went to yesterdays balance. As I said.

Copied OSFX. Then Updated from Investing and all back to normal.

What should I be looking for in OFX Chris? Nothing obvious.  Last DSTART says:
    <DTSTART>20200625175915.031[-4:EDT]

What info would help?

~Bob

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Argggh. i really need help. Tell me i am not the only one and I'll feel better.If not, what in the world do I start to do to make this better?

It seems that when Quicken gets a price from the broker it is using that in preference to what it gets from the security quote service.  And Fidelity's data is wrong.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    I have to go for a walk. If you think it is best and safe to uninstall Quicken from Programs and reinstall from ?, tell me the gotchas and I 'll try. Bad enough Paypal, but now this. And all the hassles I have been through the last week and thought I had reached a baseline. Maybe I should n;t take this so seriously, but I do.

Back 1/2 hour.
    BTW if you look at the price history for the securities you can tell one that came from your broker because it doesn't have the high/low/volume, this information isn't provided in the OFX data.  Prices that come from the quote service will have these filled in.
    This change in behavior started in 27.1.27.20  27.1.26.23 doesn't have the problem, which connects it to this change:

Improved: Increased speed of updating investment quotes from the investments tab by not downloading historical quotes. Historical quotes are always downloaded during One Step Update. To include historical quotes from the Portfolio View, use Shift-Get Quotes.

First let me point out that the Fidelity price is currently wrong.  Maybe it will update to the proper amount later in the night (this is a mutual fund, but it should in by now, but maybe Fidelity is slow to update them).

But even so what I'm seeing is that not only is the Fidelity price "winning" the entry doesn't have the high/low/volume that would be provided by the quote service.

So it seems that the old process was hiding the fact that Fidelity wasn't sending the right prices (or at least they are delayed).  But also since the broker doesn't provide the high/low/volume at a minimum these should have been filled in from the quote service numbers.

Note is "where you fire it off from".  If you deselect Fidelity in One Setup Update, the quote service numbers will be used.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    I have to tell you this before I look at your posts Chris.

I have Quicken 26 something on another laptop with the same data file as I started with this morning. I thought I would give that a try. I opened Quicken and it automatically updated me to 27.24! Last thing I intended. I did a one step update and it did exactly the same - missing investment data and yesterday's Fidelity balance. I was hoping to report at least one computer was working :(

Update on Investements updated it properly.

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    BTW if you look at the price history for the securities you can tell one that came from your broker because it doesn't have the high/low/volume, this information isn't provided in the OFX data.  Prices that come from the quote service will have these filled in.

So what does this tell us?

This is AFTER updating from the Investment tab. I would expect that. DO I need to do an OSU to see that it is not there after that?
    Bob. said:

This is AFTER updating from the Investment tab. I would expect that. DO I need to do an OSU to see that it is not there after that?

If you update from "only" the quote services you will get the right numbers.
    You can do that by the Update button on the Investment tab or by deselecting Fidelity when you use One Step Update (and of course select to download quotes at the bottom of the settings dialog)
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

But even so what I'm seeing is that not only is the Fidelity price "winning" the entry doesn't have the high/low/volume that would be provided by the quote service.

So it seems that the old process was hiding the fact that Fidelity wasn't sending the right prices (or at least they are delayed).  But also since the broker doesn't provide the high/low/volume at a minimum these should have been filled in from the quote service numbers.

Note is "where you fire it off from".  If you deselect Fidelity in One Setup Update, the quote service numbers will be used.
    OK, let me try that. It has ALWAYS been select ed and ALWAYS worked right. You are saying that uncheck Fidelity from OSU and it will update anyway??? Not making sense, but off to OSU, then unselect Fidelity and OSU again.

And thanks for investing time in me Chris. Greatly appreciated.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Wow.

OSU, errors as mentioned too many times. And you are indeed correct, all 0's for price history today.

Deselected Fidelity from OSU and damn, Fidelity accounts and Investments updated as proper!! How is that possible? And the bigger question:

What happens when OI really DO have a Fidelity transaction such as buy/sell/dividend/reinvest?

Did I say WOW?

What do we know now Chris?
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    If you update from "only" the quote services you will get the right numbers.
    You can do that by the Update button on the Investment tab or by deselecting Fidelity when you use One Step Update (and of course select to download quotes at the bottom of the settings dialog)
    OK, you see that this works with the possible exception of a real transaction (waiting to hear your opinion). So what does that say is broken? A coincidence Fidelity has a problem the day 27.24 updates? Is this with other brokerages or just Fidelity? How do we report and what exactly are we reporting?

Feeling a little better :)

Anyone else? Issues with ANY brokerage or just Fidelity. Would love an update on the group mind here.
    Well I just played with one of my Vanguard mutual funds and can get it to "not update".

Basically what seems to be common is that for both Fidelity and Vanguard they have yet to update their prices for the mutual funds today.

The difference is that Vanguard doesn't send a price for today.
    Whereas Fidelity sends a price and date, but it is for yesterday.

That means that when when I do One Setup Update with both the financial institutions and the downloading of quotes on, the Vanguard ones get the prices from the downloaded quote service, and Fidelity gets the "yesterday one" sent by Fidelity.

Is suspect when the brokers really do send out their prices they show right in Quicken.

But at any case it seems that Quicken Inc will need to rethink this to work around Fidelity's problem (most likely there will be other brokers doing the same thing).  It is highly unlikely that Fidelity will fix their problem.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    After installing the Update from Quicken, today, did anyone check to see if they are connected to the Quicken Server?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R27.42 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20175.1000

Information: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871028/quicken-bill-pay-discontinues-on-5-31-20-introducing-quicken-bill-manager

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

@thecreator this isn't any kind of connection problem.  And I can reproduce the change in behavior by going back to R26.23.
    For what it worth I was just thinking about something else I saw in  the OFX log entry that I posted.

<DTASOF>20200625033012.000

Let me break this out a bit:
    2020-06-25 03:30:12

That is 3:30 am today.  Which suggests that Fidelity only updates their prices their mutual funds once a day early in the next morning.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    I see the same, but it is not how it functioned before today.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    I think a post or two of mine is missing. So....

This works, but what happens when I get a REAL transaction like a dividend, buy or sell?

A reminder everything worked as expected for years and years before today.

What does this say is broken and how can we assist to report and get it working again?

And why did my Win 7 ask me if I wanted to update while Win 10 did so with no choice or opportunity to backup? Did I miss a setting? Why different?

• bmciancebmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is definitely an issue with Fidelity.  I didn't realize it initially but I have 3 Fidelity accounts (Traditional IRA, Roth IRA and HSA) and all three have the problem.  I also have two Lincoln Financial Wealthscape accounts that have the problem and they are serviced by Fidelity.  I have one other account which is my wife's Roth IRA at Charles Schwab.  That account updates fine.  She only has a couple of stocks so I didn't notice that one was okay.

I have also noticed that it is not every stock that is not updating, but most.  Bonds and mutual funds are okay.

Chris, it does work when I de-select all of the Fidelity (and Wealthscape) accounts with the OSU.  However, won't this miss any transactions available to download?  I think I would rather do the OSU and then update the quotes.

I've also got some other issues with this update, mainly centered around the bar colors of graphs when viewed by security but I will do another post on that.  I think they messed something up when they built the dashboard.  
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. Always good to know it is not just me. But in my case, ALL stock quotes update by themselves with OSU just fine. It is ONLY my fidelity stocks that do not.
    bmciance said:

Chris, it does work when I de-select all of the Fidelity (and Wealthscape) accounts with the OSU.  However, won't this miss any transactions available to download?  I think I would rather do the OSU and then update the quotes.

Yes it will.  I was just doing this to test/locate the problem.

So to summarize what I think I see.

Fidelity (and others) have always had a problem with updates.  But before Quicken's way of combining the quotes from manual/broker/quote service hid the fact that the prices provided by these brokers were "stale" and the dates provided when they were "posted", but not for the correct day that they were for.

bmciance said:
    I think they messed something up when they built the dashboard.  
    The problem with the quotes pre-dates when they released the Dashboard.
    It could be related depending on when they were working on it, but my bet is on the request to optimized download quote speed.  It lines right up with the patch where the behavior changes.

Frankly I put this problem in the same category is the problem people are having with the fractional shares.

You have people with tons of securities complain about how fast they update, so Quicken goes in and changes it, but doesn't realize that the way they were doing it was hiding problems with the way the brokers provide quotes.  And I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that the original developers ran into the same kind of problems and that is why they structured the code that way.

And in the case of the fractional shares people say "you shouldn't round to X digit, change it".  Seems simple enough until you realize the implications.

I really do believe the Quicken developer are trying their best to fix things and provide the new features, but Quicken Window is definitely very complicated and convoluted.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding the same issue as others - Fidelity not updating quotes during OSU but they do update when punching the Quotes button on the menu.   Pretty straight-forward to replicate by alternating OSU and Quotes actions.  Thanks Chris for describing the different source data for the quotes update feature.

After OSU (with quote updating checked), price history not updated:  Image.

As Chris points out, a look into my own OFX file today, coming from Fidelity, indicates Fidelity is not updating for the current day's close.  This usually occurred reliably after 6 pm CDT.  OFX snippet shown for FPURX for today 06.25.2020, below.

<SECINFO><SECID><UNIQUEID>316345107<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><SECNAME>FIDELITY PURITAN<TICKER>FPURX<UNITPRICE>23.3000000<DTASOF>20200625033012.000[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD  </CURRENCY></SECINFO>

I have the same date/time stamp as Chris.   I'll leave things ride till tomorrow morning, then do an OSU to see if the update occurs overnight.   If not, I will call the Channel Communication folks at Fidelity to report.  I would encourage you to do the same, if its still a problem.

So, I searched for an older OFX file I saved off from 06.18.2020 and found a similar date and time stamp, below:

<SECINFO><SECID><UNIQUEID>316345107<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><SECNAME>FIDELITY PURITAN<TICKER>FPURX<UNITPRICE>23.4600000<DTASOF>20200619033010.000[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD  </CURRENCY></SECINFO>

So, now really curious.....I pulled an OFX file I saved off from 06.17.2019....

<SECINFO><SECID><UNIQUEID>316345107<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><SECNAME>FIDELITY
    PURITAN<TICKER>FPURX<UNITPRICE>21.7500000<DTASOF>20190618033009.000[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD  </CURRENCY></SECINFO>

Another OFX file for January 2019 shows similar reporting date and time from Fidelity.

So the near-term workaround is to simply punch the Quotes button to get the latest Fidelity quotes for the day's close from Quicken's quote source, I assume.  Or, wait till the next day from Fidelity.

This could also be the source of the "prices on the weekend" even though looking at my price history it looks like Quicken is filtering out those.

But look at this one from my old OFX log:
    <TICKER>FSCRX<UNITPRICE>18.9600000<DTASOF>20200620033016.000

The 20th is Saturday.  So Fidelity has certainly been doing this "forever".
  • bmciancebmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    The problem with the quotes pre-dates when they released the Dashboard.
    Just to be clear, what I was referring to was the graphs by security.  They are messed up after this update for the Dashboard.  I see a very similar issue on the Dashboard Value over time graph which is why I put the blame with that update. 
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    So I do not see this as an ether or. If I wait until the morning to get an updated Accounts balance, the Quotes are empty. If I use quotes, i miss real transactions. So at best a kludge workaround until someone fixes something. And I would be happy with the way it was. Never an issue with anything Fidelity except a one time need to reset DSTART. And I think that was caused by the 2017 to 2020 update.

So, is anyone bringing this to the attention of Quicken? I don;t think Fidelity made changes so Quicken should hopefully be able to revert and repair.

• jsen215jsen215 Member
    edited June 26
    :( So after I do a One Step Update, it briefly shows the downloaded transactions and then it all goes away but I get some transactions. Then it appears that when I download the quotes / Historical Quotes - I get all the values in the Daily Gain/Loss column.

Anyone else having this issue ?

(Removed- Rant)
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    And great sleuthing Chris!
    The workaround is easy.  Do a One Step Update with the financial institutions selected and then go to the Investment tab and hit Update.